1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Don Rich's Tone

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by golfnut, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

Looking at the Buck Owens Show YouTube clips, I notice Don Rich riding the guitar’s volume knob going into and after the solo, and sometimes during the vocal when Buck is singing. I think he may be responding to an engineer’s off-camera hand signals.

The pedal steel player is mixed high, to me.

2. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

There was a clip (can't remember which one) I think it was a Don Rich instrumental and the steel player was distorting but not the pleasant kind of tube saturation. Might have been loud and overdriving the mic possibly.

3. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

I think you’re referring to the “Chaparral” clip. As good as Tom Brumley was - IMO, a superb musician - I still think he ran high in the mix, probably because in the sound engineer’s opinion, the mix wasn’t as full in the midrange as desired. As long as the vocals were prominent, all was good.

Listening to this material almost 55 years later, I’m surprised that it sounds as good as it does on a modern home theater system. Buck made a lot of money, but he apparently paid the freight for quality video and audio production.

4. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

It is an EV 666, pretty much the broadcast standard of the day.

Ronzo likes this.
  5. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

The one minor criticism I have of Don Rich, one that goes for a lot of professional musicians I admire, is that at times his playing can sound like just-another-day-at-the-office to me. It's all played perfectly and sounds great, but occasionally sounds a tad uninspired. I imagine Keith Richards' 10,000th version of "Satisfaction" probably has a similar feel. In other words, there are times I feel like I want to pump a few beers into Don or get his mother to show up for that particular performance. I think that sort of burn-out can become a problem for professional musicians. For some reason, however, the song "Silver Wings" seems to inspire musicians the world over whenever it's played.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.