1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Don Rich / Buckaroos tone

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by hockey guy, Sep 1, 2015.

1. hockey guy

hockey guy Tele-Meister

Hello - I have a AVRI 52 Telecaster and a Fender Blues Jr amplifier. I am having problems trying to get remotely close to that Bakersfield sound. Does anybody have the same setup as I do ? And can you help me with some amp settings. Thanks . :confused:

2. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

I'll give you a bump. On the Bls Jr I always have the Master Volume on 12 (use you volume for volume). Pick near the Bridge and palm mute.

3. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I agree! You want to duplicate the sound as much as possible that if you plugged a vintage tele into the Reverb/trem channel of a vintage Deluxe Reverb or twin. So dialing out your master volume and just use you clean channel volume is a good first step. Dialing in your tone stack would be next. You want pretty sqeaky clean tone with no dirt! A good classic set up tele would be the next main link. It's basically a tele plugged directly into a DR sound with the rest in your hands. Platefire

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Steel threaded saddles on that Tele? Maybe not use nickle plated strings. I would use a heavy pick and keep the palm off the saddles. Maybe a little heavier strings?

As far a BJR, a treble booster pedal maybe ?? A speaker with a metal dome perhaps??

Just thinking out loud...:idea:

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Borrow my '69 thinline with the 1 meg pots.

It'll get you there in no time ! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

6. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

Not that complicated. Master volume cranked, volume in the clean range. Tone settings with plenty of treble, not so much bass, even less mid. Bridge pu of course, and pick between the pu and the bridge. No need for new gear, unless you need more clean volume than the BJ can give you.

7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Seems like he covered the tone stack diddling and did not get there. Unless I read too much in. BJR not exactly scooped mids. ;) I stuck a 12A150 in one and it got more scooped mids wise, but I pulled it out pretty quick. [Subjectively to my own ear it sounded terrible]

Maybe clip the treble circuit. ;) Or a no load pot for the treble circuit?
    OK, I'll stop now. ;O

8. Bmoflaz

Bmoflaz TDPRI Member

Don's sound is really thin and bright. I use an MXR Super Comp to amp up the trebles. It really brings out the twang too.

9. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Once had an early 70's with Don Rich tone ..really nice, but I was more into a Clarence / Warford vibe at the time.

10. Eddie Thomas

Eddie Thomas NEW MEMBER!

Don also tuned to E flat. That's how he got the growl on his low strings.

11. I own a Tele

I own a Tele Tele-Meister

Steel saddles

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The man (DR) sure got the definitive Tele tone.
    I've never heard anyone else "nail" it, no matter how slavishly the try.
    Copy his rig, copy his tuning, copy his solos.
    Maybe you could eventually be the one, or not.
    He's the reason I got a Tele, and the reason I started playing country music.
    My dad actually hipped me to Buck/Don when I was a kid.
    I never got close to his tone or phrasing, but I did discover lots of good stuff on the way.

13. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

The 52RI pickups are probably a little fatter sounding than the 60's era Tele's Don Rich used, so back that guitar volume knob down a touch.
    Then set a nice, bright, clean tone on the amp (not really familiar with the Blues Jr. settings, myself, but I'm sure you can dial something useable in there).

But the REAL trick to that "Bakersfield sound" is super-clean, hybrid picking to get that snap and pop and clear note definition.
    Your existing gear will get you there if you can nail that hybrid picking technique.

14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Master on 12. Volume just to the level of volume you need. Take out ALL the mids, then maybe bring up slowly to no more than 3. The BJR has a lot of inherent mids compared to a BF/SF to my ear. Those mids also add breakup. The BJR on 0-3 sounds more like the natural BF/SF EQ. Bass on 7.5 and treble on 4.5. Also depends on your speaker. But those old Twins had a lot of bass, it just didn't break up. Most BJRs are very bright compared to a Twin, which gets pretty "warm" when cranked. I actually learned Buckaroo on my BJR and this got me pretty close. Speakers make a big difference though.

15. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Supposedly, Buck Owens used to keep turning up Don's amp, and Don would respond by turning down the guitar. He used both 50's Teles with 250K pots and 60's Teles with brighter pickups and 1 MG pots and managed to sound the same with both, which is kind of perplexing.

Regardless of that, a Blues Jr. should get you pretty close, especially if it's the newer (post-2010) model with the "sparkle" circuit.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is a great point. I almost never have my guitar volume full up. I think a large part of a full, dynamic, non-ice-pick sound from a Tele is amp up/guitar vol down.

17. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

I would suggest, if you are able, to get a silverface Twin Reverb. They show up fairly often on craigslist around here, and they're usually cheap now that everyone seems to want Princeton Reverbs (I remember when the situation was reversed--Twins were coveted and Princetons were shunned and therefore cheap in the pawn shops).

18. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Extremely key to this sound, IMO.

19. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

I should mention that my BJ has the Jensen speaker. And while the MV on 12, V down, mids way down works, it doesn't sound as good as my BF Fenders, big surprise.

I switched from brass to steel saddles. Probably made a small difference but "extremely key"--I would say not. Stainless steel strings help, and change often.

20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Wrong guitar, wrong amp, unfortunately. Picking near the saddles, and attempting to scoop the mids on your amp will help. If that's the tone you love, you WILL have a Deluxe Reverb (or Twin) eventually. And you'll never look back.

The ideal Tele in my mind is late 50s, even early 60s. Bright and wiry. Not throaty and growly like many blackguards. Swapping out brass for steel saddles will help, though I'm not sure you can't approximate same by upping the treble. I'd definitely make sure you have a crystal clear A5 bridge pickup. I don't know about your AV, but Alnico III is a common early 50s spec, and will lack that bright attack.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.