1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Don Rich and the Buckaroos

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Stefan, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Stefan

Stefan Tele-Afflicted

I was listening to Don Rich in my car last night and I started wondering about his rig. It is such a classic Tele-Country-Bakersfield-twang-tone!

A good tube amp and a Tele gives you all the twang in the world but nowadays Country-guitarplayers use compression, delay and overdrive etc, etc...
    Did those guys back then in the 60´s do anything else than just plug it into a Fender amp?

2. Stefan

Stefan Tele-Afflicted

Here is a photo of Don and Buck... Just to bump this little thread a bit! ;)
    [​IMG]

And a good clip for you who haven´t heard Don´s Tele!

3. Stefan

Stefan Tele-Afflicted

I found more Bakersfield-candy for you guys!!!

4. Stefan

Stefan Tele-Afflicted

MORE!!! Dick Curless!

5. soltwanger

soltwanger Tele-Holic

Wow I just love buck and don, they have such similar vocal tones and pitches it is incredible (see also- adam lavazza and fred maschareno from taking back sunday http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8zQYEJK7MA&mode=related&search= ). I was actually watching these buck 'n' don clips literally a minute before reading this post, I saw 'act naturally' and the playing in that is just incredible too. as for your question, i believe it was just teles into fender amps. I think that kind of underpowered 'weak' tone might come from the fact that the amps were miced from a distance with micrphones with inevitably small dynamic range. (see pictures on youtube clips on post 2- look like twins) I love that sound however, it really twangs.

thanks for the clips!

6. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I don't know about Don Rich, but taped delay units were available (and used for guitar a lot) from the ende of the 1950s onwards, spring reverb was available since the early 1960s in many guitar amps, same with vibrato (which Fender called tremolo), stuff like compression or (plate) reverb was available in recording studios.

7. Buck@r00

[email protected] Tele-Meister

Former Buckaroo tele and steel guitar player Jerry Brightman's excellent website

http://www.slidestation.com

has a tribute to Don Rich. In it he answers question about Don:

2. What can you tell us about Don's Guitars?

Don played Fender Telecaster guitars, and during my time with the band (1972-1976) always used the same guitar for touring and recording. It was a late 1966, Standard, with no modifications, standard pickups, and painted red, white, and blue by Gene Moles of Bakersfield, CA. He used Ernie Ball 9,11,16,26w,36w,46w in nickel gauge. He used a Fender Twin Reverb on most of the sessions without any effects or processors. In concert, the contract rider stated that the band was to be provided with Fender or equivalent amps. He used "Fender Thin" picks that either had a Don Rich or Buck Owens Studio logo on them and often gave them away at concerts.

3. What type of Fender amp did Don use and was there any modifications done?

Don played a 1966, original "Blackface Twin" with 12 inch Jenson speakers. There were no modifications to this amp.

8. Acephspades

Acephspades Tele-Meister

I love Don Rich as much as anyone but you have to admit his tone was drier than a popcorn fart. I wonder how loud he actually turned up his amps? They sound, from a tone standpoint, to be turned fairly low. Suppose he would have cranked a Deluxe Reverb from that same era? Makes me wonder anyway.

9. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

I know that Buck Owens used a Fender Telecaster and Fender Tweed Bassman amp cause I watch his bio and A&E Biography channel.

10. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nope...I couldn't disagree more. Don Rich's tone was exactly what a Telecaster should sound like. All the stuff that people are doing now with too much overdrive, compression, etc. is not half as cool as Don Rich's tone.

11. Stefan

Stefan Tele-Afflicted

I agree with that! To me, Don Rich´s tone is the ultimate Tele-twang!

12. Radman46

Radman46 TDPRI Member

Don Rich and Thin Picks

I found it interesting that Don used thin picks according to the above post with Jerry Brightman's link. I know he got a real bright sound on record, maybe the picks had a lot to do with it. Might have to dig out some thins and experiment with that for a while. I too think Don's tone is one of my benchmarks for a great tele tone.

13. Stefan

Stefan Tele-Afflicted

I thought that was interesting too. Myself, I found it extremely hard to play with thin or medium picks. They are too floppy for me and I can get any good tone at all... I need at least 1.0 mm.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  14. Radman46

Radman46 TDPRI Member

Thin Picks

I know what you are saying about needing/wanting a heavy pick. Over the years I have gone up in thickness to around 1.0 or 1.14. Even messed with heavier at times. I am curious enough to dig up a couple of thins and mess with it for a bit. Never know what it might lead to.

15. neatone

neatone Tele-Holic

flat

perhaps the most important thing regarding richs tone
    is that he tuned down to e flat...thats why buckaroo, chapparal, chicken pickin etc are all in flat/sharp keys

also made negotiating those 10's easier
    one of his primary influences- james burton was using a 10 for a b string!

cheers

16. Stefan

Stefan Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to the forum! :)

17. Open G Tele

Open G Tele Tele-Meister

I think one of the "secrets" to Don Rich's tone was his use of thin picks.

Less attack and less sustain = a natural "compressed" sound.

--------------------------
    There is a thread on the main forum that discusses which picks people use...

Everybody uses thicks or mediums.

18. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

+1 I loved Don's sound before I ever knew it was a Tele. I picked up a copy of the Carnegie Hall concert, no photos of the guys on stage, so I had no idea of the gear. The sound blew my head, and that has always been for me exactly what a tele should sound like.

Don Rich, Roy Nichols, etc just plugged a tele into a twin and played it. The rest was in their fingers/technique. I'm maybe a boring old f**t, but I don't go for a 10 piece pedal board to get a sound.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.