1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Don rich amp tone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cdienhart, Feb 9, 2010.

1. cdienhart

cdienhart TDPRI Member

Do any of yall know what don,s amp tone settings are ?
    I really like his twangy tele tone like on wham bam on youtube.

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

cd, if you have a Twin REverb, set that thing on 5's across the tones. IF that doesn't do it for you, pump up the trebles...or punch in the Bright switch if you are running at low volumes. That switch doesn' do much of anything after you get past 5 or 6 on the Volume pot.
    ONe thing about that guitar Rich is playing. It sounds really bright. That may be wired like the late '60's Teles with 1 meg pots....way thin and bright...too bright for me...not really 'twangy' in my book, but YMMV.

3. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

For the "Don Rich" tone, I use..........

my old MusicMan HD-212 One Fifty which is basically like a Twin on Steroids. It has a high power and low power side and I go for the low power setting and have my treble on 10, bass on 5, mids on 4 and reverb around 5 or 6. My Tele has the Fender Vintage Nocaster pickups in it and I use the bridge only. Also, the master volume is down around half and the guitar volume is up all the way while the channel volume is up depending on how big the room is. My band usually does "Buckaroo" for an opening tune and these settings nail that sound. I usually use a thumbpick, but for that tune and some other twangy things I use a Fender medium flatpick, the small teardrop shape as it has a more "pointy" tip so the tone is a little brighter!......JH in Va.

4. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Great advice. A nice clean tele through 12' spkrs. will get you in the ballpark.

Thing is, if you listen to a lot of Don Rich's guitar playing, he has quite a few different tones!

5. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

To me, Don Rich's sound is the definition of twangy.

6. Wally

Many times I might agree with you, DAvid. That tele sound in that cut doesn't have enough meat in it to twang in my world. ...Way too thin...1 meg pots, I think.

7. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Well it's ok to disagree on things like that. :)

On that youtube clip, the audio is actually the studio version of the song. There are lots of high notes he's playing, and I can imagine it would sound piercing at live volume... my tone's not nearly that bright either. I sure like it though!

"twang" is a pretty relative description of a sound, I suppose... "onomatopoetic."

8. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

On my 70 Twin, bass at 6, treble at 3 and mid at 2, bright switch on. Just a pinch of 'verb.

9. Schnauzer

Schnauzer Tele-Meister

CDIENHART:

Gotta be careful here. I assume you are asking about Don's tone as perceived from listening to recordings. Buck, in a stroke of genius, purposely mixed their sound thin and very treble. His reasoning was that most people listened to his music while in their cars or trucks running up and down Hwy 99. In that time, early 60's to early 70's it was very common to have just one very cheap 4 to 6" speaker mounted on top of the dash. Buck mixed to those speakers.

I saw Don many times live. He used a Twin. Their stage sound was full and well balanced. No at all like the records. I played Twins back then and Tele's. I believe I cut the mids, straight up bass, touch of boost on treble, and bright. It didn't make me Dangerous Don but the sound was close.

Good Luck

Jim

10. Wally

Good info, Jim. I knew that no one would really want to hear a tele palyed with that extremely thin and bright tone like in that cut!?!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.