1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Don Mare pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by AcoustiCats13, Apr 8, 2014.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Write it down folks.

This is truth from above

2. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I've got this pickup in my real '63 Esquire. The original pup was just sounding lifeless. I still have it tho and it lives in the case. The Mare Stingray has breathed new life into this Esquire and it sounds fantastic. I've had several of his pups in the past including the Super Sport and a Green Onions. I sold the Tele with the Green Onions and kept the Green Onions pup I liked it that much. It's not in a guitar at present but it will be one day. Don knows Tele pups and that's a fact Jack!

3. daveandshelle

daveandshelle Tele-Afflicted

I have the bakersfield set (the hayrides) They are fantastic don't be afraid they are not overated..

4. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I wish I had enough guitars to try all of his sets of pickups in!

My main Tele has an S-Telly neck and a 2-speed Stangray bridge. Just as you would with a Strat, you can play the neck pickup all day long and be very happy. But then you switch to the bridge and it's even better!

I also have another Tele with one of his 50s sets and it kills too.

Plus I have a set of his Super Sport Strat sets in a Strat - it's also great.

As everyone else said, you just cannot go wrong with any of his pickups. I'm going to build 3 Teles this year and they all will have his pickups. One will be an Esquire with the 3-speed Stangray. I'm dying to hear that one.

5. punkclash05

punkclash05 TDPRI Member

I'm so happy this thread started! I'm working on a Broadcaster build, and in a couple if paychecks I'm ordering a set of Don's 0038's.
    I thought I was excited before this this thread, now I can't wait to call him up!

6. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If you think you are excited now, wait until you get Don's pickups in that Broadcaster and plug it in for the first time. You will flip.

I have his pickups in two guitars - a set of Hot Bakelites in a blackguard tribute and a Hayride bridge (paired with a Klein Firebird in the neck) in my other partscaster. I smile everytime I play either one of them. Don has Tele pickups dialed in 100%.

7. ripgtr

ripgtr Tele-Holic

Yea, I was playing the tele today through my 5e3 clone, playing some blues and a bit of country. Man, they really do sound great.

8. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Sounds like a nice combo. How do you have it wired to take advantage of the double tapped Stangray?

9. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I swapped out the tone pot for a 250k pot with a push-pull DPDT switch on it. One pickup tap (the 'colder' one) goes to the bottom terminal on the switch. The hot tap goes to the top terminal. Center terminal goes to the selector switch like usual. So pulling it up gives you the hot tap. Looks stock, no extra switches.

I love the tapped pickup - you get a bit more volume and mids. Just enough to get a little extra out of it - like going to 11!

I also have a 4-way switch on it - the volume control is another push-pull to throw the neck pickup out of phase.

So it all looks stock, but I have 11 tones. From the forward-most postion (toward the neck):

1- Neck and bridge in series, bridge at lower tap.
    2- Neck and bridge in series, bridge at hot tap (switch on tone pot up)
    3- Neck and bridge in series, bridge at lower tap, neck out of phase (switch on volume up, tone switch down)
    4- Neck and bridge in series, bridge on hot tap, neck out of phase (both up)
    5- Neck pickup alone ('stock' Tele neck position)
    6- Neck and bridge in parallel, bridge at lower tap. ('stock' Tele middle position)
    7- Neck and bridge in parallel, bridge at hot tap (switch on tone pot up)
    8- Neck and bridge in parallel, bridge at lower tap, neck out of phase (switch on volume up, tone switch down)
    9- Neck and bridge in parallel, bridge on hot tap, neck out of phase (both up)
    10- Bridge ('stock' Tele bridge position)
    11- Bridge hot tap (switch on tone pot up)

The phase switch is kind of overkill, I only did it to see how much I could do and make it look like a stock Tele. The out-of-phase sound is really thin and you lose a lot of volume. Good for 'scratchy' sounding rhythm, but to be honest, I don't use it a lot.

The series positions are really hot and midrangey. With the hot tap engaged, it sounds like a hot P-90 or a humbucker.

One more thing: the body on that guitar is an MIM candy apple red one I bought on ebay. Turns out Don was the seller! Small world. I talked to him on the phone later and we got a laugh out of that.

-Kevin

10. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

OO38 in the bridge position of my rock/blues Tele, Hot Bakelite in my more country Tele. Great pickups, and Don is a true believer.

11. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Put an 0038 in the bridge of my ASAT Classic, where it matched up so well with a roaring neck p/u. Before that, got a partscaster tele, chambered, spruce top Chandler body, with an early set of Don's 2324 pickups with the "nancy" mod. I've never heard a better sounding tele. The pickups are just about perfect.
    MD

12. colinsthename

colinsthename Tele-Meister

I just got my set of DonOcasters last week for a blackguard build I was finishing. Couldn't be happier. I'm coming from a set of BL Keystones, which are fantastic on their own. The DonOcasters really kill it, though.

I had done a ton of research to choose the right pickups from Don for my build, so I was pretty set on the ones I got, but I'm bummed that I didn't give Don a call anyway! Seems like everyone has enjoyed talking to him about their orders, while I just put mine through online. Either way, the man makes fantastic pickups. Thanks, Don!

13. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Got my 0038 in the mail today! Installed in my Tele Custom - sounds awesome! That guitar was bright to begin with and the 0038 works perfectly in it. Also the higher output balances well with the neck WRHB.

14. mrkenny

mrkenny Former Member

I have a set of Bakelites, Hayrides, 4709's and Donocasters I'm waiting on a 50's Formvar Stratocaster set. For me there's a high giggle factor playing my Mare's. The 4709's were a big surprise. Being they are low wound A3's they react with the amp a little different. Boy do they sound nice. Big thumbs up to Don for winding his pickups.

15. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I have two sets of Donocasters, one wound hotter. They are amazing pickups that just make you want to keep playing. I strongly advise getting a set that you can wire up with a four-way switch to allow you to play them in series. No extra charge from Don - just let him know when you order. I've done that with both sets and it invaluable for a cover band when you need a humbucker tone.

I think a Hayrides set is next for me, but I'm in no rush to stop playing either of the Donocaster-loaded Teles!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  16. kendale

kendale TDPRI Member

Aloha,

I am really liking the Hayrides - like Don says:
    "Great harmonics - alive and airy- no squeal, but still microphonic. No ice pick, no metallic harshness - PURE bell tone!"

Mahalo plenty, Don!

Aloha :D

17. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I only own one of Don's pickups. A El Black Crow I originaly bought for my Esquire. A little more rock than twang, but the twang is still in there. The Crow reside in a partscaster with SD mini-bucker in the neck position. I never leave home without it. I will be calling on Don again. Oh yeah it was well worth the wait.

18. Groberts

Groberts Tele-Holic

I LOVE this description. That's exactly how I prefer a Tele PU to sound! :D

19. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

I've got a Hot Bakelite in the bridge and a Donocaster in the neck of my CS Nocaster. I'm really happy with them and the service I got from Don.

20. Jim Sams

Jim Sams Tele-Holic

I also love the El Black Krowe.
    It has all the essential tele goodness.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.