1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Don Mare or Kinman?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by nixpix, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

While I'm a big fan of the Kinmans of three different varieties in four of my Strats and variants thereof, I've held off on buying Chris's pickups for my Telecasters. The low-cost GFS pups in one Tele work entirely to my satisfaction, while I just love the stock pickups in my AV62RI (which is what the OP's question was about) and can't see any need to change them.

2. nixpix

nixpix Tele-Meister

Yeah, the stock AV62RI pickups are really great - very Tele-sounding. But, you know, experimenting is fun! I have Lollar Vintage-T's in there now and have gone back and forth between the 2 sets for comparison. The Lollar neck pickup kills - it has a full warm sound which makes it quite versatile for stuff other than country. Overall, the 62s have a nice open and bright sound, but are pretty unusable with the tone knob below "5" or so. The Lollars have a bit more compression and growl, which is pretty nice. Since I found the Lollars to be better for my needs in the tele than the stock pickups, I'm going with Mare's since they might be even better!

3. abieber

abieber TDPRI Member

Bang for the buck

My only problem with Don's pickups is the price. They are $60.00 more a set than Fralins, Smits, or others. They are about $30.00 more a set than Lollars. I want my tele's to sound better than anyone else's, so I am willing to pay the difference once, and see how they sound in my guitars. This site is great thanks for all the information!!!!!!

Allen Bieber
    Balance Guitars

4. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Once again this is like comparing apples to fried chicken. But I'd go with the Kinmans. Definitely a more "unique" sound.

5. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

with the exception of "Smits" those mentioned above are most likely wound on Automated winders! - thus cutting cost and time and allowing mass production

Mine are "hand wound" and I'm limited to 25 a week production - and priced at what i would be willing myself to pay - - BTW.. I am $20 to $60 dollars cheaper then other Hand winders who I cannot mention here.

at L-ace S-ensor factory we could do 2000 pickups a day on the autowinders

6. nixpix

nixpix Tele-Meister

I felt similarly to you, Allen. True, Don's pickups are notably more expensive than Lindy's. But then I considered this:

Lollar pickups aren't cheap by comparison either. Considering a set of Lollars costs $190 + $12 shipping for a total of $202, and Don's cost $215 including shipping, Don's pickups are only $13 dollars more! (Unless you're in California like me and have to pay sales tax :()

So, if Don's pickups are the closest to great sounding vintage Tele pickups that you can get (which I'm betting they are), are hand wound, and you won't need to buy another set again, they're a better bargain than Lollars.

Nothing against Lollar pickups at all...I have a set in my Tele and they sound great! I'm just being trying to be objective.

7. JamonHamon

JamonHamon Friend of Leo's

Lindy Fralin has lots of staff that wind by hand but there's a inconsistency in his winds but they do sound great

Don Mare pickups are slowly hand wound by Don with a secret Rosey wind that Don found out about by inspecting and rewinding 50s pickups

8. JamonHamon

JamonHamon Friend of Leo's

The Kinman pickups sounded good in my guitar at full volume but lacked high end sparkle

and if I turned my lead guitar volume down to play rhythm the tone just got lost and sounded unpleasant

9. abieber

abieber TDPRI Member

Don Thank you.

I will definitely use at least two sets of you tele pickups in my guitars. You can't go to a site without seeing your name and tele pickups. It's all about the tone and I am willing to pay what it takes to get that in my guitars.

Allen

10. abieber

abieber TDPRI Member

Mare's pickups. Don you out there?

Real Nancies, Zepotones Studio, Joel Foys 4709's they are all pretty close in resistance. What makes them so different? Is it the wind, or gauge of wire, amount of magnets, magnet strength, etc. My real question is 5.2 ohms in the bridge and 4.9 in the neck with alinco five staggered/flat, what if anything tone wise will that do for me?

Thank you in advance,

Allen

11. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

Hi, Allen

The difference's..... to make it easy - the human ear can hear a difference in as little as 50 turns of wire - when I first started I wanted to sell pickups by 0.05k graduations and be able to explain the differences as they graduate upwards~ or use different grads of magnets and wire..etc - but "Words Fail Pickups" there just is not any proper words for these things.. "smoke" Food terms..etc.. it just boils down to more confusion ...:rolleyes:

12. abieber

abieber TDPRI Member

I don't know anything about Kinman, but Don's customer service is top notch. I guess it's like many reviews I've read, if you want to buy your last set of pickups, buy Don Mares.

13. Tony Reid

Tony Reid Tele-Meister

Last set of pickups...

No. If you purchase a set of Don Mare's, I don't think that they would be your last set of pickups. With the selection that Don has on offer, it won't be long before you start planning your next guitar that will accommodate another set of Don's pickups :p I am speaking from personal experience.

14. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I'm very happy to believe that entirely. It's fair to say that Chris Kinman's pickups will either suit the user or they won't, according to requirements and individual taste (I love 'em; see post #41 above). But the engineering and build quality are unquestionably superb and as a regular purchaser I have found the standard of customer service to be as good as it gets.

15. leewhit

leewhit Tele-Meister

I'm with Tony on the fact that once you try Don's pickups (Tele or Strat) you will be hooked and want to try more! I've bought eight so far. Love all of them! Don, please - I'm gonna have to come into some big money if you don't stop coming up with all this stuff!!:rolleyes:

16. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

2324, Nancy, set #34

[​IMG]

Super Sports

[​IMG]

17. Don Mare

Don Mare Tele-Afflicted

heres what I have at one time or another done
    for hum canceling needs here,

Filtertorns in a tele
    Kinmans in a Tele
    Joe Bardens
    EMG's

IMHO those were the easier ones to EQ in

I'm sure theres others that we never tried here - but those are the ones we did use here - over the years installing them in my tiny Tech shop - while helping local musicians here..

18. Perry D.

Perry D. TDPRI Member

10 Don Mare pups here. The only thing better than a set of DM's is... another set of DM's! :D

19. Teleriffic

Teleriffic Tele-Meister

Neither....get John Suhr pups!

20. okies

okies TDPRI Member

Dang it Don, what are you doing hanging around on this forum and not busy winding my Tweed Monsters?

Just kidding ya but I am really looking forward to getting them and dialing em in on my Hwy One Texas Tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.