1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Don Mare or Kinman?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by nixpix, Jan 20, 2009.

1. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

And more generically Hayride, yardboy, tweed.. ;)

2. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

That's the sizzle. Believe me...when you get a set of Don Mare pups in your tele...you WON'T be asking "Where's the Beef?". Instead, you'll probably start planning your next DM set :lol:

3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I have never tried Don Mare's but My kinmans didn't stay in the Tele long. I opted for true single coil instead.

4. nixpix

nixpix Tele-Meister

Real single coils are obviously the way to go - I definitely won't get Kinmans. I'm sure they're nice pickups, but not for me - especially at the price. I currently have Lollar Vintage T's which are a nice improvement over stock. They're the first aftermarket pickups I've tried in my guitar and at the time I purchased them I didn't know about Don's stuff. One thing I really like is the Lollar neck pickup - great jazz tones. The Mare Super Sports can get that and more, right?

5. JamonHamon

JamonHamon Friend of Leo's

Call and talk to Don he will talk to you in length about your Telecasters tone

6. nixpix

nixpix Tele-Meister

I'm happy to say I've ordered my first set of Don Mare Pickups! After calling and speaking with him for a few minutes, he recommended the DonOcaster set over the Super Sports for my use. Thank you all for your input, it was much appreciated. I enjoy hearing all of your personal experiences and expressions of pickups and gear.

7. JamonHamon

Let us know how you like your new pups

8. robt57

Don't give Don that extra 20.00 extortion for aging, that is offensive. I will do it for free, just have the pups drop shipped to me, I will PM you my addy. None of that phony aging, I will mojo-fy them by naturally aging them. It should only take me, say 19 months....

:D

9. JamonHamon

The Kinman pickups sounded good in my guitar at full volume but lacked high end sparkle

and if I turned my lead guitar volume down to play rhythm the tone just got lost and sounded unpleasant

10. blackguard1135

blackguard1135 TDPRI Member

DON MARE!!!

I wouldn't buy according to the Names he gives his pickups; they're catchy and fun, but don't give you access to Don's greatest asset: knowing exactly what you want from talking to you.

Give him a call. Nice guy and a real trip to talk to; he has lots of his different pickups installed in various guitars so he can play them for you over the phone.

Tell Don what tone and response you're looking for and he'll know what you need. He can change anything on the pickup such as number of winds to wire gauge to using AlNiCo II or AlNiCo V magnets to get you the tone you want. Your perfect pickup may not fall in to one of his advertised categories. He'll make them just for you and you'll smile when you drop em in.

He's had access to so many vintage Tele pickups, he really knows what it is about those different pickups that make them sound individual.

I've had three sets: two I bought right from his website descriptions and one set that I bought after talking to him. Guess which ones are my favorites? The ones he made just for the tone I described to him. Those are staying just where they are: in Number one Tele! They chime, crunch, twang and squish when I dig in with the pick.

The only other pickups I have that I'll also keep: Fred Stuart Blackguards. Fred is THE vintage Tele wizard. His pickups are different than Dons but just as great. All kinds of complex stuff comes through that makes me smile and they never sound hi fi: real vintage mojo.
    Both Fred's and Don's (the ones I have) are a bit microphonic which just adds to the vibe.

11. nixpix

nixpix Tele-Meister

The more time goes on, the more confident I am of choosing Mr. Mare to outfit my tele w/ pickups - and they haven't even arrived yet. Since I want the vintage sound and versatility, I can't wait to hear what the Alnico III Donocaster set will sound like. Don also recommended that I go with the slightly hotter output bridge pickup at 6.5k. There's nothing like placing your confidence in a true professional that is more fanatical about tone that you are. :)

12. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Friend of Leo's

Kinman is producing a cool pickup for people that need pickups with noise reduction.

Don Mare is making pickups that you've always wanted for your Tele.

It's all about what you're looking for.

13. robt57

Hey rinocas, we rented the DVD Untraceable, lots of Portland area filming, anything we should consider notable??

;)

14. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Friend of Leo's

I'm sorry, I haven't seen the film. Portland is a very cool town and there's definitely plenty to see. I don't live there, but I do love it!

15. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Have to join the crowd on this one. Since you say hum cancelling is not a priority it's an easy choice...Don Mare all the way.

My personal favorite = 0038 set.

Then again i haven't tried the newer sets...the Tweed Monster, Led ones, etc.

16. robt57

For some reason I thought you were, my bad. We are going up 1st week of April for our re-con.

Ciao, Robt

17. syntropique

syntropique TDPRI Member

So I have ta ask...

If you *were* looking for a low-noise PU that still had some high-end (impossible I know you say ;^>), who would you choose?

Thanks,
    --kT

18. robt57

EMG-T Set

19. syntropique

syntropique TDPRI Member

Thanks!

20. jamesie

jamesie TDPRI Member

i´m very pleased with the bardens in my bb ash dlx tele - rock, blues, jazz and more no problem:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.