Don Mare "Nancy" Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by flatout9, Oct 22, 2018.

1. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

Anybody here have any experience with Don Mare "Nancy" pickups? Thinking about slotting these in and going for the Roy Buchanan tone....

2. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic

Take a look at OC Duff. He had Roy's guitar for a while to analyze the pickups and makes the most accurate reproductions on the market.

3. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

Awesome. Thank you...

Jim W likes this.
  4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Don does have several wiring diagrams for the "Nancy".

O.C. makes some great pickups. I have several of his.

He's (O.C.) more into the pickup end of it than he is with the wiring.

5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Friend of Leo's

All you need to get Buchanon's tone is a Tele plugged into a twin, and lots of practice.
    I was lucky enough to get to hear him play up in DC back in the 70's. He was using a borrowed Tele (from a guy in the audience) and sounded just as great as ever.
    Hint: it's gonna take a lot more than a change of pickups to get his sound.

Shuster and BB like this.
  6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Big thumbs up for OC Duff pickups.
    Quality stuff.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Don Mare also had a chance to examine Roy's guitar.

I had one of his first Nancy winds years ago with the unusual switching. It was a great set of pickups regardless of what tone you are going for. Don winds exceptional Tele pickups.

8. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

That's cool you got to see him... I'm firm believer tone is in the fingers but this is more of a indulgence and just wanting to tweak my guitfiddle more than becoming Roy. Sometimes a little modification inspires a whole new direction to explore. Plus I'm not sure he used a twin as his main stay... I've read that a Vibrolux was his go to.

Shuster and RoyBGood like this.
  9. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

Do you remember if they were very micro phonic?

10. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, the ones I had were very lightly potted, if at all. You could hear every little tap on the guitar through the amp, even tapping up on the tuners, or down on the bottom strap pin. The switch click was massive. Of course, that's what Roy liked. They had great tone, but even Don would tell ya, if it's your only tele, they may not be the way to go. He often recommends the similar low wind Joel Foys instead.

Here's one of the early ones I had, it was a rewind of a blown Nocaster pickup, the fifth 2324 pickup ever wound:

Roy Wrap #5.jpg

11. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

Good info. That gives me some pause because it's my only tele for now... I'll have to check out the Foys. Appreciate the response.

12. GuitarJonz

Cool. Just email Don, he's a good communicator. I'd be interested what he says too.

Stratohacker and flatout9 like this.
  13. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You might try him on the "Tele" phone too.:)

guitrr likes this.
  14. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Everytime I saw Roy Buchanan he had a Silverface Fender Vibrolux Reverb.
    The best time was at Symphony Hall in Boston.
    Tim Weisberg opened and was great.
    I've still got the ticket stub around somewhere.

I've often wondered where Fender's heads are at for not honoring a Man who more or less influenced everyone in my generation that Telecasters are really where it's at. I knew he had a deal with some small outfit for a "Roy Buchanan Model" but I think Fender should at least talk with the surviving Buchanan's about doing something. Roy died in jail it's true but Merle Haggard did serious time in San Quentin and Fender did The Tuff Dog and I believe an earlier tribute also.

Perhaps Fender has a problem regarding mental illness and Roy's supposed suicide.

15. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

People still use the tele?!;)

drlucky likes this.
  16. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

I agree. He had some issues but what artist doesn't. It seems like a perfect fit but I'm sure some PR person doesn't want to taint the perfect image fender has. Not condoning violence in any way but just because his personal life wasn't crystal clean doesn't mean we can't honor the artist. I'm pretty sure some of the classical greats that are taught at almost every institution had some skeletons in the closet but we still honor them. Sorry... I'm going down a rabbit hole. I'll stop.

RoyBGood likes this.
  17. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

He who hasn't made mistakes. please stand up..

Mare makes great pickups, and is also a nice guy to talk with.

I myself like the S Tele, and/or The Stretch neck pup, and the 0038 11.5k

Stratohacker likes this.
  18. GuitarJonz

Maybe Roy's family just isn't interested? I could see that being the case.

19. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Yes...that's pretty much the thing with any RB type rig. I disagree with an earlier post that any Tele through a Twin will get the tone associated with Buchanan. The pickups on the Nancy Tele were very microphonic and possibly damaged according to Don Mare. You can definitely tell that they had that distinct microphonic quality.

Don is a really great resource on Roy Buchanan. He used to do a RB tribute act and knows a LOT about him and his gear.

Ricky D. likes this.
  20. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

When I was looking into this guitar/pickup, what I learned was there is a break in the windings of the bobbin. If you try to measure with an ohm meter it reads like an open circuit; because an ohm meter reads with a DC voltage. A string creates an alternating voltage that gets through. Basically it was a fortunate break as the other wire loops near it act like a capacitor passing the signal through.

If I have a muddy pickup, I'll put a capacitor in series with the hot lead and it knocks down the total pickup capacitance and gets rid of the mud -- it also reads as an open system just like the Nancy pickup. I'll use a 0.047uF cap like you find in many guitars for this.

So what you want to do is take your current guitar and try quite a few different caps in series with your bridge pickup and see if that gets you near the Nancy tones. Three dollars of caps and an afternoon might get you there. A low wound and weak magnet pickup could help and/or set the pickup low in the body to get it farther from the strings and weaker.

I also found that the EVH Frankenstrat pickup that Eddie pulled from an old Les Paul, they later found had a similar break in one of the two bobbins and that gave him the tone that he used back in the 80s.

puddin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.