Don Mare Joel Foy vs Hot Bakelite

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I was curious to hear myself. I've never spent that much on pickups, but I hear great things about Don's work.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
whichever pickups have lower resistance should be brighter. I have a set of Hot bakelite sin a fairly light swamp-ash/maple tele. They are not over the top bright, but nobody is going to mistake that guitar for a Les Paul. I guess if you are going to order some Mare's and wait for them you want to get the right set.

rjtwangs

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I have the Joel Foy set in my guitar " the Rocket "
20201114_115022.jpg
20210322_012551.jpg

The bridge pickup has that bright spank you'd find in a mid 50's tele. Don wound the neck pickup for me, to my specs. I have his " Hayrides " in my other tele. The bridge pu for the Hayrides is a bit smoother than the Foy bridge. I don't know how much this has helped you. Maybe the Hayrides are a more balanced set. But, if you're looking for a mid 50's sound, get the Foy, you'll love them. When I want the sound to have a sweet twang I go for the Hayrides, think Kenny Vaughn and Marty Stuart. When I want to rock out I go for the Foy, think Roy Buchanan and Robbie Robertson. I think Don has a 6 month waiting list. For what it's worth, I think his pickups are worth the wait. Good luck and I hope I helped a bit.

RJ

caspersvapors

Tele-Meister
I have the Joel Foy set in my guitar " the Rocket " View attachment 878126 View attachment 878127
The bridge pickup has that bright spank you'd find in a mid 50's tele. Don wound the neck pickup for me, to my specs. I have his " Hayrides " in my other tele. The bridge pu for the Hayrides is a bit smoother than the Foy bridge. I don't know how much this has helped you. Maybe the Hayrides are a more balanced set. But, if you're looking for a mid 50's sound, get the Foy, you'll love them. When I want the sound to have a sweet twang I go for the Hayrides, think Kenny Vaughn and Marty Stuart. When I want to rock out I go for the Foy, think Roy Buchanan and Robbie Robertson. I think Don has a 6 month waiting list. For what it's worth, I think his pickups are worth the wait. Good luck and I hope I helped a bit.

RJ
This actually is helpful, because I previously owned a set of Hayrides and found the bridge to be too bright in my tele. So if youre saying the Hayrides are actually smoother in the highs than the Foy then the Joel Foy might not be for me.

one more thought - are both your teles rosewood fretboard?

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
I have not tried the joel set.

Have the hayride and hot bakelights.

the hayrides are bright, imho too bright for a maple neck guitar, may work well on a rosewood board? not sure.
Or a tele needing a bright pickup.
And some like em that way, not for me.

the hot bakelights?
Perfect….

beat about 20 sets of pickups that went in and out of the same tele.

honorable mention to the fender cs 51 nocasters, a very good factory pickup, they beat many small batch very expensive pickups imho.

I was after a set that would do fake pedal steel tones to zeppelin, the hot bakelights set nailed it , love em!

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
I have the Joel Foy set in my guitar " the Rocket " View attachment 878126 View attachment 878127

RJ
funny, but I actually have a vintage 62 Princeton as well. We could theoretically compare the hot bakelite set to the Foy set through the same amp, except that the two different individual amplifiers, the differences in the actual guitars the pickups are in and the way we play would probably make the comparison meaningless.

caspersvapors

Tele-Meister
I have not tried the joel set.

Have the hayride and hot bakelights.

the hayrides are bright, imho too bright for a maple neck guitar, may work well on a rosewood board? not sure.
Or a tele needing a bright pickup.
And some like em that way, not for me.

the hot bakelights?
Perfect….

beat about 20 sets of pickups that went in and out of the same tele.

honorable mention to the fender cs 51 nocasters, a very good factory pickup, they beat many small batch very expensive pickups imho.

I was after a set that would do fake pedal steel tones to zeppelin, the hot bakelights set nailed it , love em!
agreed, the hayrides were too much in my maple neck tele

John Owen

Friend of Leo's
Seems to be a vortex of Don Mare pickups and 1962 Princetons around here. This guitar has set of Hot Bakelite pickups. I was hoping to emulate the 1952 tele that I grew up hearing a good music buddy play. The Don Mare Hot Bakelites hit the nail on the head. Not too bright but they have a nice well rounded bite to them. If you are looking for the classic tele sound from the era before the brighter Bakersfield sound, these will do it.
fubar and princeton 2013 copy.JPG

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
To the @OP, the easy way to decide which set of Don Mare pickups to buy, is to call Don up and ask him. At least that's what I did.

wineocaster

TDPRI Member
Ironically I have both of these sets on order. After speaking to Don I ordered the Hot Bakelite set back in October. The Joel Foy set has interested me for a few years There is not a lot of info available of this set in the way of clips. It seems everyone that owns them raves about them. I was fortunate enough to order a set in January before Don stopped taking orders.

I’d be happy to share my experience with you after I receive them. I’m expecting the Hot Bakelite set any time now.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Ironically I have both of these sets on order. After speaking to Don I ordered the Hot Bakelite set back in October. The Joel Foy set has interested me for a few years There is not a lot of info available of this set in the way of clips. It seems everyone that owns them raves about them. I was fortunate enough to order a set in January before Don stopped taking orders.

I’d be happy to share my experience with you after I receive them. I’m expecting the Hot Bakelite set any time now.

That sounds great. Please post sound samples or a video or two. We would love to hear them.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter

Did you ever get these in a couple teles? Curious what you think of them and if you have or could post some sound or video clips.

wineocaster

TDPRI Member
Did you ever get these in a couple teles? Curious what you think of them and if you have or could post some sound or video clips.
Yes I did finally get them both. I took some time but it was worth the wait. I have never sat down and done an AB with the two guitars. I can tell you the biggest surprise is the neck pickup. I have never played my neck pickup more since installing them. They are both Don’s 54 Tele neck.

The HB bridge pickup is loud and really pushes the front end of the amp in a pleasant way. I find it quite a bit louder than the neck pickup. The 4709 is a very sweet sounding pickup, but it can get pretty aggressive when you really dig in. Overall I think I find this set a bit more pleasing.

I was lucky and jumped in the queue and ordered an ST Bakersfield bridge with A3s on New Years Day when Don took a few orders. I am still awaiting this one.

I may get a chance to sit down and AB them in a couple days. If I get a chance I’ll give an update.

If I can figure out how to record a few clips and upload them I’ll try that but that likely won’t be for a few weeks.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yes I did finally get them both. I took some time but it was worth the wait. I have never sat down and done an AB with the two guitars. I can tell you the biggest surprise is the neck pickup. I have never played my neck pickup more since installing them. They are both Don’s 54 Tele neck.

The HB bridge pickup is loud and really pushes the front end of the amp in a pleasant way. I find it quite a bit louder than the neck pickup. The 4709 is a very sweet sounding pickup, but it can get pretty aggressive when you really dig in. Overall I think I find this set a bit more pleasing.

I was lucky and jumped in the queue and ordered an ST Bakersfield bridge with A3s on New Years Day when Don took a few orders. I am still awaiting this one.

I may get a chance to sit down and AB them in a couple days. If I get a chance I’ll give an update.

If I can figure out how to record a few clips and upload them I’ll try that but that likely won’t be for a few weeks.
Thanks, @wineocaster

caspersvapors

Tele-Meister

his 54 neck pickup is so good.