Don Mare fans: looking for A3 bridge audio samples

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Looking for audio or video samples of some Don Mare pickups… Specifically, the Hot Bakelite, Doncoaster and Joel Foy sets. I’m looking for a bridge pickup for a possible Esquire build. Thought I would give the Don a try.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
He is open for order, get yours in before he close

Yes. Just trying to decide which one. Need more demos out there. Maybe I should buy a few of them and shoot YouTube demos of them. Would be a great service to Don and Tele pickers everywhere.

Wyatt

Tele-Afflicted
I had the same mental debate. Ordered the Hot Bakelite set for a future build. I own and use a Hayride set now and love it. Most of my research implied the Joel Foy was brighter, less middy, and sounds more like a later '50s model despite the materials, so I figured my Hayride was already in that ballpark.

I also ordered a 0038, but have to decide where to use it. I have a friend who is a big Keef fan, it may go into his Tele.

ScottMosesMurray

TDPRI Member
I play Green Onions, they blow people away. I own a Hayride and will install it soon, loved what I heard online. Also own a Black Krow, which is brighter than the Green Onion. Love it too. It's with a Stelly neck pup, which I like a lot. I'm ordering a variety of DMs today for new builds... if I knew already which one I'll like most, I'd order two.
*edit: Ordered a second Hayride. Have a hunch.

rjtwangs

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
A bit of history regarding the " Joel Foy " set. Joel is a former west coast blues player now based in Arizona. He has a 1955 tele that was quite well known during his time with James Harmon. The story goes that at some point his bridge pickup died and he went to Seymour, he went to Fender and several other well-known pickup winders. All to no avail. Finally he was told about Don Mare and gave Don a call. Well they say that Don nails it, hits it right on the head. Everyone from Junior Watson and Rick Holmstrom to Kid Ramos and James Harmon all agreed. They all use Don's pickups and Kid Ramos has a Foy bridge pickup in his blond Esquire. Now you have it. Yes the Foy is a bit brighter than the Hayrides, but so is a 55 tele a bit brighter than a 1960 tele. And to quote Jim Campilongo, nobody ever accused a Telecaster of NOT being a bright sounding guitar. Also remember that the different degrees of perceived brightness is in minute degrees, there are no huge differences. I guess you have to try them for yourself. Hope this helps the decision you may make as to what exactly it is that you want YOUR tele to sound like. Call Don, you will be happy that you did. Merely my opinion....ymmv....

RJ

Last edited:

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
From what I've been able to gather in online samples (not too many out there for the Donocasters or the Foys), I'm leaning pretty strongly toward the Bakelite set. I know they are considered overwound, but all the A3 pickups I've used have been above 7k, so they will be slightly brighter and twangier than what I'm used to, but not overtly so. Would still love to hear samples if anyone has them, especially the Foys or the Donocasters. Thanks for all the replies, guys.

buddyboy

Tele-Meister
I have a Foy. It sounded pretty good in one Tele I have, but my man Tele has a Hayride set which sounds fantastic. I'm in honky tonk heaven with them! I just ordered a Green Onion bridge to put in the Tele that had the Foy in it. We'll see (in about four months!).

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’m surprised more Mare owners didn’t chime in on this thread. He seems to get a lot of love around here.

Antoon

Tele-Afflicted
I have a '54 lap steel pickup in my Tele that has the same specs (A3/6.3k/42wire) and I would consider that pretty typical for a 51 - 54 blackguard Tele. I know there are BGs with higher spec'd bridge pickups but these would be a minority, right?

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Okay. Ordered a Hot Bakelite set today. Don't know if or when I'll get to the Esquire build. I can always throw the custom Bootstrap in there. I'm going to put these in my main tele. Should see them by Christmas or New Year, give or take. I'm in no hurry and kind of like the wait...builds anticipation. Don was very helpful. Thanks everyone for sharing your info. Feel free to keep posting. I appreciate you all. God bless.