1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Don Henley STILL way too sensitive

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

I doubt anyone saw dollar signs. You have to protect the brand, so to speak.

You're confusing trademark with right of publicity.

2. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

I doubt this was a pro bono assignment somehow. Anyway, isn't dollars what "protecting the brand" is all about - preserving the value of the asset?

3. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Short-term dollar signs.

4. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Change it to "Dawn a Henley and take it to the limit".

5. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

6. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm astounded by the number of people here who don't understand the concept of protecting the brand. By their account, Henley's either a money grabbing shyster or an insufferable sphincter. If you allow anybody to use your brand without permission, harmless or not, then where do you draw a line?

Can you imagine the free-for-all if everybody was out there taking off on Coke or Starbucks or JayZ, with humor (or profit) being the only guide? Only one entity has the right to control the Don Henley brand.

How hard would it have been for Duluth to seek permission? If granted, fantastic. If not, then they shouldn't have used it in the first place. This has nothing to do with whether you like Henley or his music.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The Horror!!! :D

8. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

I'll just bet you'll raise a wee dram with many people.

9. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

There have been plenty of drug-addled rock stars who have found something interesting to write about. The old adage 'write about what you know' is fine, but that doesn't automatically make it good writing.

10. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

A high profile law-suit, like this one, seems like it should be great for Don Henley's career. He's all over Duluth's store ads, all over the business section of the paper, and he's got a 9+ page thread about him going on the tdpri: He's back on top baby!!!

11. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Ha! It's true. This thread inspired me to break out my old Hell Freezes Over DVD.

Honestly, Don Henley could be the biggest dick in the world and I'd still listen to him sing the phone book. The man's voice is amazing.

12. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like life in the fast lane,all over again.

13. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't bought an Eagles album since 1973, and this thread isn't making it any more likely I'll start up again. :p

14. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

Interesting... This thread has had the opposite effect with me.

I don't think I ever really seriously considered the impact Eagles music has had on my own musicianship until now, or how much I've learned from listening to it with a critical ear with respect to how it was put together.

What did it for me was reading getbent's comments here about Eagles songs and how appropriate they are for "sing along" affairs when folks get together with guitars and play stuff together -comment made in response to those of Larry F....

For a guy who doesn't presently own a single Eagles recording, I sure wind up playing A LOT of their songs when I'm around other players.

But I digress....

This discussion on this thread got me to remember one of the best pieces of advice I ever got from another musician, who offered it as a way of helping me "up my game," musically, and that advice was to buy the Eagle's greatest hits disc, play the hell out of it, listen with a critical ear and the notion that there were things contained therein that I could learn from and, perhaps one day, benefit from. This same fellow went on to say that singing along to that stuff would be a cheap vocal coach. And for me, it was.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan, but I do admire and respect the musicianship of that band's members and have learned a lot about vocal harmony, ensemble playing, arranging, music production, and a host of other things, just by taking that fellow musician's advice to listen and learn.

And in considering the matter further, I don't think I've gotten all I can out of that music yet. Might be time to shift to a famous E-commerce site and order up a couple of Eagles CD's.....

As to the original topic of this thread, I don't think Mr. Henley is a ***** for being businesslike in protecting a brand that he put a lot of effort in to over a long period of time to build, grow, and maintain. He has more to loose by doing nothing, in my view, than doing something.

Furthermore, I suspect that one of the reasons that Mr. Henley has enjoyed the level of success in the music business that he has clearly enjoyed is that he pays as much attention to the business aspect as he does to the music aspect, and I think there's a valuable lesson there, somewhere, too....

15. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

9 pages? You guys have too much time on your hands...

The Eagles are the Coldplay of my parent's generation.

16. studebaker hawk

studebaker hawk Tele-Holic

I was addressing the sub-topic of Hotel California (and the mindset of Frey and possibly Henley). Maybe I should have warned about adult situations and immature adult language!

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You have to holler "Subtopic!" out loud if you want old burnouts like me to follow along...:lol:

18. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

"The company told Rolling Stone it had no comment on Henley's suit, according to The Current."

See what I did there? :)

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Heh.

Always had to smile when my clients would come in, looking for an update

and ask "How is my Suitcase going?".

:)

I always wanted to say "Oh, your case is not nearly that large, at least not yet. It'll still fit in this small attache with two other files, easy! :D

20. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

http://www.80svideos.tv/play.php?vid=809

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.