1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Don Henley STILL way too sensitive

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 15, 2014.

1. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Precisely what profession was that? How long were you engaged in it? What was your empirically measured success rate in fathoming the thoughts, moods, desires and intentions of others?

2. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm just an amateur assessor of personalities, and IMHO Boris has it spot on. I actually like Henley's music and singing, and the Eagles, but man, the guy was born with a chip on his shoulder and just can't shake it off. Even in the video where he trying to express how much he loves that lake and nature, he's all tense, on edge, and his body language is all closed and angry. Just seems like the kind of guy that could suck all the joy out of any room he enters.

3. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Which paraphrases what Frey said about Henley.

4. studebaker hawk

studebaker hawk Tele-Holic

Back to the topic; how is Don Henley damaged by this?

Is he not feeling too good since he had his little clash, and might feel better if they gave him some cash?...

An interesting tidbit on Caddo Lake. It is the only natural lake in the State of Texas!

5. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

That would be an awesome jam. They could play "What a Fool Believes" and "The Long Run."

6. tap4154

Guess he's mad that he's not getting a cut of the shirt's profits, with them vaguely alluding to his name in the ad, and a song title that was just a common phrase long before the song... which seems odd considering his apparent hatred of "middlemen". IMHO he was actually getting good free press with the ad, but is wrecking it with the lawsuit. I guess he trademarked his name BTW, which again seems odd, given his attempt to appear laid back and at peace with divinity.

7. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Please... give me plenty of warning before this happens. Urgh.

8. studebaker hawk

studebaker hawk Tele-Holic

9. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

"Vaguely alluding"?! Are you on dope?! Jeez.

10. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

"wanna get away" is trademarked by Southwest in the category "Transportation services by air." Not for anything else. You can use those exact words, in that exact order, for anything not connected to transportation.

"Don Henley" is trademarked by Henley in the category "entertainment services in the nature of live musical performances" and for "series of musical sound recordings." Not for anything else. A clothing store making a pun of his name isn't even remotely close to infringing.

A trademark doesn't allow you to control the use of common words, even if they're intended to make a connection to you. He'll find out. I just hope he and his team of disreputable shysters get sanctioned and fined when it's all over.

11. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

12. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

If the company hadn't put the "Don a Henley" phrase together with the title of one of the Eagles' best known songs (regardless of who actually wrote the song), I might agree with you. But since they did, I think Henley has a case.

13. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

If only the shirt had said, 'wear a Henley and have a nice day' all this could've been avoided but then they wouldn't be seelin' any shirts huh?

14. tap4154

When you makes millions off songs whose titles and catch phrases are not original and very old and established ("take it easy", "New York minute") just seems odd to get your panties in a bunch over a pun.

BTW... Don A Henley? Didn't know his middle initial was A. What does that stand for?

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So many folks seem to know Mr. Henley pretty well without ever having met him. And so many seem to really dislike him without ever having met him. I'm not really sure if I like him or not but I'm pretty glad and appreciative for his music. A lot of really creative folks have been known to be kind of different.

I'm grateful for all the Eagles and their songs. I really can't relate to having any real reason or right to criticize any of them personally or musically.

16. Hucklebilly

Hucklebilly Tele-Holic

What about Bernie Leadon? He is from my home town, Gainesville FL, and a high school buddy of mine is married to his sister. I've gotten to jam with him several times at Leadon family picking parties, and he's a great guy.

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

So last night I gigged out with one of my punk bands, just as we started I announced

"We are Don Henley and the Duluth Trading Company"

Got same laughs...boy I hope we don't get sued :lol:

19. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

I know nothing about Don Henley as a person but to me it seems pretty naive to imagine someone blowing his top over this ad and immediately getting on to his legal team in a blazing rage to demand they put a stop to it.

In all likelihood the reality is probably that some gung-ho lawyer has spotted this, seen dollar signs in front of their eyes and presented it as a fait accompli to Henley so all he has to do is go "Uh, OK, go ahead I guess".

20. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, apparently you don't know him as well as a whole lot of guys in this forum. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.