1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Don Henley STILL way too sensitive

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 15, 2014.

1. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm not a Don Henley fan, but I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that you don't know him personally, nor what kind of existence he leads, whether he is happy, sad or whatever. He can live however he pleases, not to your or anybody else's liking.

2. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

I think Don needs a friend.

3. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

If I'm the judge in this case, I find for the plaintiff and award him one dollar in 'damages'.

Get over yourself, Don.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Walsh is definitely the honey badger in that band.

5. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Maybe a cease and desist but suing for damages? He's a whatever, fill in the blank___________.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

because it is A) their experience and as faulkner learned, preached and what led to his writing great stuff was 'writing what he knows'... and B) the general public (us) are completely interested (and the sales figures support it) in what famous people go through....

if they suffer while being rich, having sex with gorgeous women and feel sad while taking the best drugs and drinking the best booze, we can feel okay about the missing hubcap on the honda over due for its timing belt replacements, while at the drive thru at Carls awaiting the 2 for 5.00 western bacon cheeseburgers and being satisfied that our diet is under control because we are only having regular fries and a medium dr. pepper.

After a long day at a soul crushing job with peers and managers who are constant reminders of our failure to thrive and on our way to a home that is underwater, underwatered, needing a new roof, some new fascia (because we waited too long to paint) and is splotched with oil stains that remind us we never did address the leaking seal.... our children are out with who knows who doing who knows what and we'll be faced with the uncertainty of the mood at home and hoping something will be on television otherwise we'll have to figure out something to do....

So, we crank up some classic rock, remember the time before all of this and revel in the early 20's angst of some now rich and famous rockers and we talk ourselves into feeling glad we aren't stuck in their predicament.

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And Frivolous.

8. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

You should consider writing social commentary in book length. Seriously.

Anyway, I ain't got a dog in the hunt. I dug the Eagles until One of These Nights, but I thought Hotel California was AOR of the worst sort.

Then again, I thought Boys of Summer was a pretty cool song, so WTH do I know? ;)

9. getbent

yep. me too. (on where the Eagles lost me)

on writing... thanks man!

10. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

Because it was written with the uber cool Mike Campbell (hallowed be his dreads). I saw an interview where Mike said he dug the cover of Boys of Summer by the blink 182 ish band. His son played it for him.

Actually they have a band (Mike and his son and some other cats) called Dirty Knobs that I have been trying to catch for a couple years. They only play out in SoCal so it is hit and miss when I am there for work. Cool LA dudes like Skully get to see them all the time.

Location, location - like my friends in Nashville who had Alice Cooper and his whole band show up last night at their weekly gig. Damn. I shoulda been talented.

11. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

The Eagles ain't no Doobie Brothers, that's for sure.

12. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

So, "What's a Henway?"

13. getbent

the doobs should be able to hang out with the eagles.... in the hall of fame.

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Or should I say "whose" Don Henley? Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

OK, three things:

1. I have posted the following maybe a dozen times on this forum over the years, never got so much as a smile or knowing nod of approval from others in that thread. Here we go. I went to see Joe Cocker in 1971, hoping to see the Mad Dogs and Englishmen line-up, but that didn't exactly happen. Although, Chris Stainton was on keyboards. The concert began with the emcee announcing something like, "Here they are for the first time on an Oregon stage, from Los Angeles, please welcome Ego!"

After listening to a few mid-tempo, strumma-strumma, multi-part vocal harmony on everything, my friend and I left for a smoke and a coke.

2. I gave guitar lessons in a music store for 14 years. (I was a ch*cksh*t when it came to the idea of leaving Portland for NYC, SF, or LA. I was afraid of giving up my business as a teacher and gigger, just like Don Felder was.) I have a lot to thank the Eagles for, as their music was very popular with my 30-year old students. They generally played the chords while I did the melody. To keep it interesting for me, I would play the melody with the wackiest string and position choices possible, while trying to make it sound connected and flowing. John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot, and America were also big with that particular clientele.

15. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

They knew exactly what they were doing. They could've said 'wear a Henley and have a nice day' but they didn't, 'cause it wouldn't sell.

They could have easily said, 'Don a Henley and Get Over It' which would satisfy the Jackson Brown crowd I guess. Or Don a Henley and Take It To The Limit'. Same point tho.

16. getbent

sorry no smiles from me.. I read this as just snark... faint praise kind of, but with a huge dose of being superior to people who... in the realm of popular music (which you at least made an effort at in your bar band days) they succeeded where you never really competed.

The misremembering the introduction of the band as a kind of "maybe I was on to something" kind of thing is kind of self promotion and beneath you.

The part where you gave guitar lessons and played the melody while they slogged through the chords... ohhhh you are THAT kind of guitar teacher.... again, not a shining moment... and to diminish their playing and melodies...

C'mon Larry, Desperado is one of the most covered songs in pop music history.

You were getting paid to teach and you took money and mocked what the students wanted to learn... what part of that should bring a smile?

I have some friends who are from different countries (mostly belgium and the netherlands) and we get together sometimes in a large group (they all hang out as expats) anyway, the guitars always come out and they all love to sing and they DEMAND we do 'songs they know'... and a good chunk of those songs are the songs of their teen years... and lots of those songs are Eagles songs...

These folks are accomplished, educated, (several are scientists at PARC, a couple of college professors, industry leaders etc) and enjoy a broad range of music... but, when it comes to a 'sing a long' and knowing the parts and taking a stab at a harmony and a harmony part... the Eagles have a catalog of songs that work.

So, I get it. Part of this is generational. You are contemporaries of the Eagles and since you are from one part of the 60's you look down on the guys who figured out how to get that country rock sound on the radio when so many failed before....

Yep, the Eagles and America and 'those kinds of bands' were hugely popular with people... and millions of people love their music. People, in many cases, just as educated as you are (and some more so) people as successful as you are and people who love music and who play (some better than you) and who like this music.

To characterize a player like Bernie Leadon as 'strumma strumma' is laughable. Hey, he played at altamont, he must be legit.... at least for people with some kind of strange snobbiness...

People who have zero standing love to look down noses that are not long enough to matter.

Ego? without it, nobody ends up doing much at all.

17. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Ego is not a dirty word. ;)

18. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

19. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Listening to "Hotel California" in 5.1 surround. That is all.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I appreciate you going out on a limb for us.

Look. We all trained for one trade/job/profession or whatever and mine involved trying to decipher what is going on in the minds of people whether I know them personally or not. Now, it just comes with the territory.

Sure I wish I could just turn it off and be an ordinary so and so, but it doesn't work like that. And of course he's at liberty to live his life precisely as he sees fit - I wouldn't have it any other way.

Still, I would say most of us can tell pretty quickly if someone is living a totally carefree and joy filled life. I'm pretty sure this is how I know I must be much much happier away from New Orleans than when I'm here - people I scarcely know keep practically shouting it at me. I submit that Henley is clearly telegraphing what is going on in his soul every interview, every action he takes. And I don't think I need to go out on a limb to state that either.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.