1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Don Henley STILL way too sensitive

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 15, 2014.

1. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I already did. (Well, maybe not all the way to the end. is there a surprise ending?) Don't see your point. They did not use Don Henley's name. The used 3 common English words. Don, a, Henley.
    They did not say "Don Henley of the Eagles says to wear our shirt." They basically said, "put on one of our shirts." Don a Henley.

And as far as Take it Easy goes, does Mr. Henley claim exclusive use of this phrase, which neither he nor any of the other writers of the song, originated? Would he allege that it's improper for a casual clothing company to use advertising copy with the common phrase "take it easy?"

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Jackson Browne wrote "Take it Easy", with small input after the fact from Glen Frey.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

All correct but not necessarily valid in the context of this . As ridiculous as that is.

4. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Hotel California has arguably the strongest, most provocative, and mind searing lyrics to come out of the haze of 70's AOR radio. It branded my brain and was scarier than anything the TV or movies of the time could conjure, largely because the imagery seemed like it was referencing something real due to the use of a first-person tense and everything else that goes into crafting a song. To a 12 year old's brain, it provoked the idea of the hidden horrors of the music industry which we mere mortals are not privy to, seemed to divulge secrets about that and rock star living.

Even if we as listeners did not believe the images actually happened, that wasn't the intent of course, but you felt that there was something heavy and real behind the sentiment and something murderous was behind it all. That's pretty heavy. I'd like to be the flies on the wall of those brains during that process. Reading about how power players in the entertainment industry survived, much less protected their interests during that period, you'd have to be a pretty tough bastard to make it, nevermind maintain the space to remain that creative. And those things haven't changed.

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Which brings us to the title of the thread, Don Henley is way too sensitive, one way of putting it. Ridiculous, self-righteous, pompous horses-ass might be another.

He's made himself a public figure, and as such, is subject to reasonable satirization that is not libelous. That he doesn't just let it go, or even play along with it, shows what a self-important blowhard jerk he is.

If we had a loser-pays legal system, the suits would have blown him completely off.

6. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Eh. It's not satire, it's advertising. There's a difference.

7. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

I watched the Howard Stern interview with Don Felder apparently Felder and Walsh were told not to goof around on stage because being a rock star is a serious business
    Henley seems so miserable getting all them royalties while Walsh who is basically no more than just a hired musician is having the time of his life

8. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

Exactly. A BIG difference. They are attempting to capitalize on his public persona- his name, and association with the Eagles.

Whether or not the words are common terms is irrelevant. DTC was clearly attempting to make viewers/readers think of Don Henley, and the Eagles, in order to sell product. More over, they did it by using his name (in double meaning), and the name of one of his band's most popular songs. That was intentional.

9. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. Not a fan, l but I think he has a case if he wants to sue.

10. blowtorch

regarding Hotel California lyrics, they are about whatever you'd like them to be about. Like looking at a cloud and seeing a teddy bear, and someone else sees a dragon.

(as long as your interpretation involves some combination of at least two of these elements: the record biz, drugs, the occult, and L.A.)

11. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

Actually, the "pun" or "parody" portion of this might be DTC's best line of defense. Hustler Magazine got away with alleging that Jerry Falwell had sex with his mother in an outhouse because they argued it was obviously a joke.

I suspect Don Henley's hoping to bully this through but, if DTC is willing to take it to court, it may be a tougher case than Henley realizes.

12. Skully

Hustler wasn't trying to selling anything. It was a straight-up parody (in the form of a fake ad). I know about these things -- I once modeled for Hustler.

13. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Which prompts the question: Why do drug-addled narcissistic LA rock stars write songs about how tough it is to be a drug-addled narcissistic LA rock star? It's boring!

14. blowtorch

Yeah check out Sixx:AM sometime. Poor Nikki.

15. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Listen to the words in "Deck the Halls."

"Don" has been used for hundreds of years.

"Henley" has been used for a long time.

"Don a Henley" is something that could be said by literally dozens of people a day.

I've had my intellectual property swiped.

It hurts.

But I think this falls under the category of "fair use" and "cute."

16. Skully

Prior to this thread, the only Henley I was familiar with was the Don kind.

You might have a good point if they didn't include the put a title of an Eagles song right under the words "Don" and "Henley."

17. blowtorch

"Prior to this thread, the only Henley I was familiar with was the Don kind."

I'd never known about a Henley being a shirt until Laura in college. Around 1985 or 86

Mmmmm, Laura...

Anyway, coincidentally she also showed me renowned satanist Anton LaVey's head looking down on the back of the Hotel Cali album

https://www.google.com/search?q=cro...TFtWBygSssoHoCg&ved=0CB8QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=722

never knew that earlier, either

18. blowtorch

whoops, snopes says not.

I bet they are in on the conspiracy!

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

True.

Nobody in rock understands what a lucky basser he is more than Joe Walsh does.

He's the guy I'd care to trade places with, because I am convinced he's a happy man.

I have no real interest in how much money Henley has, because he's unable to kick back and really have a good time. What is the point of a whole lot of money and power and a dominant position over other people if you don't know how to kick back and relax and wouldn't know joy if it passed you in the hall and bumped hips with you? :(

+

I mean, how many decades has Henley been in this self imposed straitjacket we call the Eagles and even now, he couldn't loosen up and just improvise IMO if his life depended on it? Here it is 2014 and Henley is still in this prison he has built for himself - couldn't cut up on stage if you held a gun to him. To take yourself that incredibly seriously after so much time has elapsed. Nothing normal about that at all. Basically, just sad.

20. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

Henley:
    Solzhenitzin' feels exposed
    Build a barbed wired prison

Walsh:
    Nietsche's six feet under but his babies still got rhythm

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.