Domino's is leaving Italy.

1stpitch

Tele-Holic
The salt content in particular is likely to be far lower than the pizza you are used to.
Anyone who really knows how to cook can make things very flavorful, spicy, etc., without putting a lot of salt in it. The Italians who cooked what I ate can't, or didn't. It was as plain and bland as could be. Folks I was travelling with joked about trying to find some hot sauce. Just no flavor to any of it, not just the pizza. Not even a hint of oregano or basil or even pepper in anything. But I can see how people who are used to eating bland food would make all manner of excuses for it.

Cloodie

Tele-Meister
Anyone who really knows how to cook can make things very flavorful, spicy, etc., without putting a lot of salt in it. The Italians who cooked what I ate can't, or didn't. It was as plain and bland as could be. Folks I was travelling with joked about trying to find some hot sauce. Just no flavor to any of it, not just the pizza. Not even a hint of oregano or basil or even pepper in anything. But I can see how people who are used to eating bland food would make all manner of excuses for it.
I've eaten all over Europe, and the US, so definitely not used to eating bland food. The mediterranean countries in particular have food that is simple, fresh and flavourful. Unfortunately a palate used to a more processed diet won't be able to discern or appreciate them.

Hags

Tele-Meister
BF24C6CF-F56B-4AEA-8774-EB145C4197D9.jpeg

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
I once went to a “Mexican” restaurant in the UK. I ordered a quesadilla, rice and beans. The rice was jasmine rice with peas and carrots in it. The beans were baked beans. I am not kidding. The quesadilla was kinda legit. It was actually a decent meal well prepared but not close to Mexican food. The beer was great so there’s that.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I once went to a “Mexican” restaurant in the UK. I ordered a quesadilla, rice and beans. The rice was jasmine rice with peas and carrots in it. The beans were baked beans. I am not kidding. The quesadilla was kinda legit. It was actually a decent meal well prepared but not close to Mexican food. The beer was great so there’s that.

I don't want this to sound snooty, but what were you doing eating Mexican food in the UK?

David Barnett

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

Mexican food in NY in the early 1980s was in that category of "they've seen pictures of Mexican food, and gave it a try, but..."

Cloodie

Tele-Meister
Taco Bell opened in my town a year ago. Gave it a try but the food is terrible. Can't see it lasting at all. McDonalds is across the road and it's about 10 times as popular, probably far more despite being what it is.

CV Jee Beez

Tele-Afflicted
They have been there since 2015 and the last store is now closing. The reason given is too much competition from the local guys.

I'm left wondering why they ever thought they could compete there. The idea is ridiculous and is like entering the Indy 500 with a VW Bug. Either model.
Talk about not reading the room. I hope Panda Express doesn't try to set up shop in Taiwan or China.

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

tele12

Poster Extraordinaire
Domino's used to be actually decent. Some of you younger guys probably don't believe me, and I don't blame you.
Also, speaking of Outback, I find it pretty amazing (compared to most everywhere else) what 15 bucks can get you there.

Domino's was never as good as the independent local places........but as a teenager watching Saturday Night Live, a Domino's pizza coming to the door at midnight was a great thing.

And yes, a Steak, a potato and a vegetable for 15 bucks is a deal.