Domino's is leaving Italy.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Afflicted
They have been there since 2015 and the last store is now closing. The reason given is too much competition from the local guys.

I'm left wondering why they ever thought they could compete there. The idea is ridiculous and is like entering the Indy 500 with a VW Bug. Either model.

kookaburra

Friend of Leo's
Well, to be fair, McDonald’s succeeds in places with amazing local cuisine. I’m not sayin’ it’s right or good, it just is.
Maybe it’s the American branding of McD? At one time American branding was a big deal. I don’t think Dominos has that going for it, especially when up against a local origin product.

4 Cat Slim

Poster Extraordinaire
Closer to home, Taco Bell has established a stronger presence in the San Antonio, Texas market while
Taco Cabana, which was based here at one time, has closed a number of local locations. So go figure...
I guess you can blame any number of reasons, aside from the food being served.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/10/business-food/dominos-exits-italy/index.html

Although some may attribute Domino's failure to its brazen attempt to infiltrate pizza's homeland with American fare, ePizza said it went bust because of competition from food delivery apps.
The Milan-based company faced "unprecedented competition" from local restaurants that started using services such as Glovo, Just Eat and Deliveroo during the pandemic, the court filing said.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
They have been there since 2015 and the last store is now closing. The reason given is too much competition from the local guys.

I'm left wondering why they ever thought they could compete there. The idea is ridiculous and is like entering the Indy 500 with a VW Bug. Either model.
I'm glad that I didn't make the executive decision for that one, unless, of coarse, it was designed as as tax right off. ooops! gone the way of pizza yogurt machine.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
We have Taco Bell and Chipotle here. I don't get that either, but I'm surprised Domino's folded and I know why places like them stay in business even in places where "good pizza" is common. Most people (even Italians!) like garbage food, lots of it, and they like getting it fast/cheap above nearly all other considerations.

Also, I'll be honest... I've had margheritas at two-bit dives and shi-shi restaurants. Kinda hard to screw up. Cuisine it ain't.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
We had an Italian exchange student living with us in the Before Times. She said every Friday the family had pizza, which her grandmother made. I'd hate to compete against that!
Dominos seem to do okay in suburban areas due to delivery at 12am. Make of that what you will.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's

I've been to Italy several times (and going again over Thanksgiving). On average, Italian pizza's never have impressed me..... even many of Domino's are better. We Americans always improve upon items we adopt from others...its always bigger and better.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I've been to Italy several times (and going again over Thanksgiving). On average, Italian pizza's never have impressed me..... even many of Domino's are better. We Americans always improve upon items we adopt from others...its always bigger and better.

xk.gif