Doing something for my mom

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 28, 2020.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

My Mom and Dad are out of town for the next two weeks. ..wasting money on back-to-back cruises! Hey it's their money, they can do what they want. I hope they have fun... but that ain't my idea of fun.

Mom has a 2001 Honda Accord that has incredibly low miles for its age. Something like 30k miles I think. It was the top of line at the time, with V6, leather interior, factory dual exhausts, alloy wheels, and all other options. But she rarely goes everywhere without Dad, and when they do go out they take his truck. So the Accord mostly just sits in the garage. Maybe she drives it to the grocery store once a week or so. But it never gets washed - and although there are no dents or scratches in it, the paint is "dead". It's white, but it's got stains in the paint and is rough to the touch. Not super oxidized.. but just uncared for.

So I went to their house yesterday and got the car. I washed it thoroughly, including under the hood. And I clay-barred the entire car. Today I'm going to compound, polish, then wax it. After that, I'm going to clean the inside of it and return it to their garage.

I actually did the compound/polish/wax process to the trunk lid last night, just to test out the process... and the results were drastic. My wife said, "Put some cool wheels on that car and tint the windows, and I'd drive it." The headlight lenses are yellowed out too... which is sort of ok, since mom doesn't drive at night. But they look awful. So I'm going to polish those out too (I already clayed them).

I'm going to drive all of the gas out of it, and then re-fill it with some ethanol free gas on the way back to their house. I'm betting that a tank of gas will last her 6 months in that car. Since it just sits in the garage most of the time, I'd rather it have ethanol free gas in it. I might get an oil change for her too.

What else should I do to it?

2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's very sweet of you, Tex!

I'm sure she'll notice and it will mean a lot.

I took a trip across the country last year to meet a very special girl who I'm now engaged to. While I was gone, my 70 year old dad cleaned and detailed and waxed my old van, mowed my yard, trimmed the hedges and worked the flower beds over. When I got back, I couldn't believe how nice everything looked. I was expecting a jungle! My neighbor across the street came over and said "Man, that's some dad you have! He was over here working every day that you were gone!"

As someone who has received, your efforts mean more than you know.
    And I bet the neighbors will notice, too!

Bassman8, TheGoodTexan and Greggorios like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I would check tire pressure including the spare, change oil, oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter. I think I would add some injector cleaner to the gas too.

You are a good son.

4. TheGoodTexan

My father-in-law did something similar for us a couple of years ago. Came over and spent two days revitalizing all of the landscaping in early spring while we were out of town. We always do it ourselves... not like it had been neglected... but he said he didn't have anything to do and had already prepped all of his landscaping... so he came and did ours too.

Yeah... random acts of kindness.

ukepicker, Bassman8 and Greggorios like this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Only 1 thing, since all of your efforts show them how you feel about them, just tell them how much you missed them while they were away. Good goin' man.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    bender66, Bassman8 and TheGoodTexan like this.
  6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Can I adopt you? ;)

Greggorios, Bassman8 and TheGoodTexan like this.
  7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Service the AT. Filter and fluid replacement. Hondas are very unforgiving.

Bassman8 and TheGoodTexan like this.
  8. TheGoodTexan

Yep - all four tires were low. I checked them before I even left their house. Went to the first gas station and got all of that right.

I use Lucas Oil fuel additive a lot. The car has 3/4 tank right now. I'm going to add a little Lucas in it as I drive all of that fuel off. Maybe put a bit in with the ethanol free gas that I re-fill it with.

Bassman8 and Obsessed like this.
  9. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

A good Texan and a good son. I think you pretty much covered it all. Does she listen to music? Maybe a mix of her favorites in the cd player?

Greggorios and TheGoodTexan like this.
  10. TheGoodTexan

That'd be awesome. Great idea.

She'll notice the shine on the paint immediately upon walking into the garage the first time, but then a week or two later when she drives the car for the time (again)... she'll notice it all over again when she discovers a new CD in the player with her favorite tunes.

TeleTex82, Greggorios and Bassman8 like this.
  11. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

One year when Mothers Day rolled around I panicked. Had forgotten all about it so I washed/waxed her car. You'd have thought I had given her a million bucks

12. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If the miles are that low is it on the original tires? If so check them for cracking/dry rot. A new set of tires might be more than you want to do, but it's (dry rot) something you all should look for

13. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This - plus belts & hoses may warrant a check, along w/ windshield wipers (and a little rain-x on the glass.

You're a good son.
    Peace - Deeve

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

A 2001 with such low mileage, you might want to consider new brake fluid flush throughout the system. A bit much, but well worth it long term.

15. TheGoodTexan

They actually might be dry rotting. I'm not an expert at that, but a visual inspection showed some cracks. I have no idea at what point that becomes a safety hazard. I had planned to tell my Dad when they return, "I just spent a week cleaning that car up, please put some new tires on it." The OEM size is a small 15" tire, so they should not be that expensive (as opposed to the new tires I just put on my truck... ouch).

P Thought likes this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Curb feelers ! (Nice ones of course)

17. TheGoodTexan

New white wall tires, wire wheels, and curb feelers. That would be awesome.

bender66 and Mike Eskimo like this.
  18. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You could get all 3 in one! wpid-atswheel-2014-05-29-00-22.jpg

19. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Yup, you're gonna have to change your handle from TheGoodTexan to TheGoodSon. Just sayin.....:rolleyes:

20. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Cabin filters often go overlooked. A new one might get rid of that old car funk smell. What about cleaning the leather seats and applying a good leather conditioner?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.