Dogs that watch TV

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Mar 30, 2020.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Our new puppy is eight weeks old, and we've had him for a week.

Our previous dog loved to catch a frisbee, so I thought I'd start working with this guy too. I'm basically just teaching him how to fetch a frisbee on the ground six feet away.

The other day he was curled up beside me in the recliner, and I pulled up a video on YouTube of a dog catching a frisbee. And he watched it with me. As in, his head and eyes tracked with the dog's movement on the video.

I know that this is not new. I've seen dogs do it on videos before. But I've never actually owned a dog that did that. Time after time, video after video, he watches the action on the screen. Even our brilliant Lab that we had prior did not do this.

I wonder how much of what he watches, he's able to assimilate into follow though? Like, I wonder if watching a dog do something on TV will help him get it?

telestratosonic, JL_LI and 8barlouie like this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My grandpup gets excited and fixated on the new sled dog flicks that are out...Call of the Wild etc. Funny to watch. He loves when they are running through the woods and snow.

3. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yeah, two of our dogs will watch, especially if it has live animal footage. Like stormsedge, said, running dogs gets their attention every time.

Our oldest dog used to watch baseball with me when she was younger, and I mean WATCH it. Her head would follow the pitches (!?). She gave it up after a year so. Not compelling enough, I guess.

- Bob

4. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

My mom always has TV tuned to Animal Planet or a police show. When we take the dog to visit
    she'll watch while my mom pets her. It's pretty comical; her ears perk up and she will whimper
    especially if police are using dogs to make an arrest.

5. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Our Maine Coon Cat, Munhyo B.Bunhyo watched “This Old House” and “Ask This Old House” religiously. He was always
    “on-site” at any jobs going on in the neighborhood staying until the lunch break or supper time. Many of our neighbors commented that he must have been a Contractor in a previous life. When the clarinet played at the of the show he was about his business. Whenever there was work he was there to supervise. Once the light was irritating us as we watched the show and he hopped onto a chair and turned it off.
    His Daughter Ghirl just turned 20 years old in September.

6. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

watch out ! Too much screen time for puppies and they will have troubles developing proper langage skills.

7. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We have two dogs. One watches TV pretty closely. The other usually doesn't pay any attention to the TV. So far the only exception was that she was fascinated with John Wick 3. Go figure.

telestratosonic and TheGoodTexan like this.
  8. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

One of my colleagues has a dog who adores TV. He will apparently watch nature programmes for hours at home. When he comes into the office he joins us in meetings and watches the projector — even if it is just showing a spreadsheet.

9. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

when dogs are on screen do they try to do any butt sniffing ?

10. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

You're probably in trouble when they tell you to pass the remote control. :confused::eek:

11. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    That made me laugh.

johnny k likes this.
  12. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    7F20F55E-CC60-433B-96B8-6983CDCD78E6.jpeg

guitrr, darkwaters, Deeve and 4 others like this.
  13. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Both my dog and cat will watch for a few seconds at a time, but it wont hold their attention...

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Harley ignores the images on TV but when a doorbell rings, look out!

15. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Never had a dog that paid much attention to TV, but we did have a parrot that loved watching Nature programs. If we were leaving her alone for any length of time, we would leave Animal Planet on and she would just watch contentedly. Switch it to news and she would start squawking. She particularly despised one news network in particular, forum rules disallow me from getting into that.

telestratosonic and Deathray like this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My best girl Sam, a Jack Russel, died a few months ago. We still miss her. She watched television, but only what captured her interest. The first time we noticed it was when a PBS special on wolves in the wild was on. She laid on the bed with her legs draped over the end watching, transfixed. She jumped down and put her paws up on the TV table when a closeup of a wolf catching a hare hiding under the snow was shown. She also liked Caesar Milan’s Dog Whisperer. She ignored almost everything else except when an animal show caught her eye. Sam liked to try to catch birds (live frisbees) in flight and she watched anything that had birds in it too. This continued until she lost her sight to glaucoma.

My take on it is that Sam watched what she was interested in. I walk right by my wife’s HGTV programs and she walks right past any football or basketball except the Orange. I wouldn’t expect Sam to watch sports or chick shows. Makes sense to me.

telestratosonic likes this.
  17. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

My dog has his own tv with only one channel. He watch’s it half the day. Pretty boring but no commercials. When other dogs come by he grabs the toy and holds it in his mouth so he can’t bark. 899B54F8-E666-4705-8165-08AEB8961EC9.jpeg

18. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

My dogs watch that channel too!
    38A6F325-BEBF-453D-8C91-D5616E07D32B.jpeg
    They bark at everything, but especially at their nemesis, the ginger tom...

19. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

My aunt can record herself throwing a ball on her phone, replay it on the smart TV, and her Jack Russell will run out the backdoor to try to retrieve it. Hilarious.

20. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

I had a dog years ago who was 1/2 Brittany Spaniel an 1/2 Jack Russel. He was a TV watcher. He liked hunting shows and was a regular watcher if “Wishbone” on PBS. He started doing Wishbone stuff soon after he started watching that show. His favorite movie was “Homeward Bound”.

He’s been gone 18 years and I still miss him. Our current dog looks just like him but is infinitely lower on the IQ scale.

telestratosonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.