Dogs shedding

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
I have two German Shepherds, a male and a female. Some call them German Shedders, they shed twice a year six months each time lol.

Really though my male is worse than my female when it comes to shedding. I ditched a regular vacuum a while ago and just bought a new Rigid shop vac, it works a lot better. Hit all the floors then a couple hours later find some more, not sure how these two aren’t bald but I digress.

My male is already starting to clump up like he’s going to blow his coat when spring hits and it’s not even February yet. I remember my grandpa say jog long ago if a dog does that early it might be a early spring, any old wives tales like that or anybody buy it?

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
meet Harlo he drops enough hair round this house to knit a new dog , at least every 2 days and it gets every where, even though we brush him daily he's a korillian bear dog loves the cold and is a short hair HMMM
IMG_0044.JPG

he is also a great singer

IMG_0073.JPG

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Glad I'm not alone in this!

My Lab and Border Collie shed insanely year round. It seemed to get noticeably worse around the time my girlfriend and her kids moved out, and I was hoping once Ava and Flash got over that stress it might subside.

Granted, I don't brush them as diligently as I should, and I give them a little coconut oil occasionally, but their hair gets everywhere.

Like the OP, I also keep my shop vac in the house. I also bought a rechargeable Black and Decker that does a nice job of spot cleaning, and is pretty easy to clear of furballs.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
My puppy doesn't seem to shed much at all, at least so far. He's got a fine, short coat that is very shiny and healthy looking. My recent adoptee, Woody, is an older Treeing Walker Coonhound and I could probably stuff pillows with the hair he "provides" us every week. We haven't had to groom the other one at all, really, so we are not in the habit if brushing. But it seems to be needed!
Looking for solutions beyond daily cleanup or giving up. Last night he cuddled with me on the sofa for an hour and when I got up my PJs were entirely covered in fur...

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
My puppy doesn't seem to shed much at all, at least so far. He's got a fine, short coat that is very shiny and healthy looking. My recent adoptee, Woody, is an older Treeing Walker Coonhound and I could probably stuff pillows with the hair he "provides" us every week. We haven't had to groom the other one at all, really, so we are not in the habit if brushing. But it seems to be needed!
Looking for solutions beyond daily cleanup or giving up. Last night he cuddled with me on the sofa for an hour and when I got up my PJs were entirely covered in fur...

When both my GSD’s were pups they didn’t shed much, they hit that year mark and went through four seasons it was on and has been since.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I don’t know, my buddy has two of them and I beg to differ.
I don’t know about others and Lois may be a mutt but out of all the dogs I’ve had as a kid until now she sheds the most

And it never stops…

When I pet her she always ends up with a ring of fur around her rump

I could imagine that golden retrievers are pretty bad too though

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Tiberias is my Wheaten terrier. The only thing she sheds is kisses.
View attachment 944280
This thread reminded me Lois could use a brushing
She wasn’t too happy…

Since you’ve initiated the dog pictures here you go!
C09F50F6-BE51-4C4A-AEBF-0EC4A2A464FE.jpeg

I could have kept going but I didn’t want to annoy her too much, she sleeps with me and can get me when I’m vulnerable…

Last edited: