Doggie ACL tear

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by telleutelleme, Jul 14, 2019.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My little Welsh Terrier came back from the yard last night with her left rear leg up in the air. Thought it might be a strain but after an hour it seemed to be really bothering her, so off to the Veterinary Emergency room we went. That was about 9:30 and it took until 11:00 to get her in to see the Vet. She came back with the news that she had torn the dog ACL equivalent in her leg. Gave her a pain shot and us some meds to carry her through until tomorrow when we have to take her to our normal vet. Prognosis is surgery with recovery and rehab. The vet said it might not have been anything she did, but rather a genetic weakness and that in 50% of the cases will happen in the other rear leg. She slept well last night and is resting in her crate today. I took her out to the yard a few times to go and she is motoring around pretty well on three legs. We're hoping for the best. Tough to see a pet suffer when they don't know what is going on.

On a better day:

SAM_1092.JPG

2. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

It’s always hard to see the most energetic family member get hurt or be down for a while. I hope things get better and the surgery goes well.

3. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

telleutelleme likes this.
  4. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Thanks for the article. The vet did a good job of explaining the types and options with surgery. She will get a better exam at our vets and we should learn a lot more. She likes to swim in our pool so she will get some good water therapy.

5. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Had a 140 lb Pyrenees blow one at age 6. He was already starting to act old. Decided to try the fix and a diet. Ran around like a 85 lb puppy again for 6 more years until he go

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Wishing your girl a speedy recovery.

7. Vespa_One

Vespa_One Tele-Holic

My dog had this happen.
    Her other ACL tore in the days leading up to her visit with the surgeon. It is not uncommon for both acl’s to go so keep a close watch and limit mobility.

My dog ended up not needing surgery as these injuries can often heal on there own.

Hoping for a speedy recovery!

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks for being a good doggy-daddy!
    I hope she recovers quickly.

9. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

My Jack Russell Terrier, Buster, tore his a few years ago and in my area the cost of the surgery started at $3500.00 and went up from there. A friend told me to call a vet in down town Louisville. He was an older man and I think has since retired. I took my dog to him and he examined him and then spent the next 45 minutes with me explaining what can be done to repair the ACL. When I originally took Buster to his regular vet they told me there were two types of repairs, but this older vet had a technique he did that he recommended over the other two types. He said after the surgery Buster would walk out of his office on his own, and he did. He has not had any trouble since, and the vet, the older man, charged me $1250.00.

aerhed likes this.
  10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Man, that’s another thing I didn’t know happened to dogs. Wishing her a complete recovery.

11. natec

natec TDPRI Member

Happened to a dog we had a few years ago - he was between 5 and 7 at the time (we found him in the woods so weren't really sure of his age). We heard the same thing --- something to the effect of '...whatever condition existed in that knee which led to the tear is likely in the other one..' which sort of makes sense. We went with a "TPLO" version of the surgery https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibial-plateau-leveling_osteotomy and followed up by sticking with the post-care regimen that the vet recommended.

It was expensive, but I don't regret it for a second. Our guy had a 100% recovery and went on to live another 7 years. He didn't have any issues with any of his other legs.

Nate

p.s. - We were in Alaska at the time and I had just saved up some cash for a boat, which we re-allocated for the dog's surgery. For the next few days I joked about renaming him 'Zodiac' but my wife was not amused :)

12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

My 14 year old has the same thing right now. Left rear "knee". Too old and overweight for surgery. I've been carrying him out and in to pee etc. My back hurts (49#) but I just keep keeping on hoping it will heal enough for him to hobble around better. :>(
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.