Dog Training Videos and/or Advice Please

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wallo Tweed, Aug 12, 2019.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Exercise the heck out of it. A well exercised dog is a mellow, much easier to manage dog.

If it’s doing something you don’t like, have it do something you like instead. In other words, unless they are sleeping dogs have a hard time doing nothing. So give them something to do that will occupy them. For example I used to press peanut butter into the inner recesses of a Kong toy. My lab/rottweiler mix would spend an hour licking it clean. Once they’re taught how to fetch and drop it that usually can go on for hours...

Whenever a dog comes up wanting to be petted, make it obey a command such as sit first. This way petting is a reward, not something they can obnoxiously make you do by shoving their nose in your lap.

Heel, come, sit, lie down, stay, and quiet are the ones that matter most. All very easy to teach if you have leash control and know how to teach it correctly with positive reinforcement. Go to obedience classes if you don’t know standard methods. Come is the hardest. Will they come even when off leash and a squirrel or cat suddenly pops up?

Acclimation/ tolerance of kids, other dogs, being touched, having their food bowl taken away, etc., are also important.

Any smart, working breed dog is usually a breeze to train....as long as you do it right.

Positive leash control makes such a huge difference. Works great in the house, too. For example, if having guests over and you need to teach dog not to jump up, bark, or whatever, this is so much easier to accomplish if dog is on leash with proper choke collar (in “p” not “9” configuration so it constricts when you tug it but immediately loosens when you release tension) and heeling at your side. The leash is not just for outside: it’s for whenever you need positive control of your dog, particularly in novel or stressful situations.

2. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

And a dog on an extendable lead is NOT under control.

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Proper 6 foot, leather leash. Nylon works but leather feels way better in your hand.

4. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

Never feed the dog before you eat. I had my dog trained to sit there and watch me eat, no begging...just ignore them. The "reward" was a small scrap of people food (that wouldn't make her sick) mixed in with her food. One of the ground rules I laid down without compromise...I control the food. No begging, get a small reward. Id also put the food bowl down and have her sit a wait for approval to eat. A sound, a hand motion, either one worked they'll learn fast it's instinctive. Every once in awhile I'd pick it back up after she'd had a couple of bites and would make her wait again. Honestly I wasn't trying to be cruel...although I'd be lying if I did find the look on her face funny. There really was a reason.
    Putting a food bowl down and the dog instantly bouncing on it isn't good. Anytime you drop something, especially something that falls off a counter in kitchen, it shouldn't be a race to reach it before the dog blindly gobbles it up in less than a second. If you drop a pill, for instance, you dog want to be rushing the dog to the vet because it's just taken a pain killer in a human's dose. They'll learn it quickly, food behavior is generally easy to teach, but reinforcing it time to time is important.
    Never let the dog enter the house first. Your home, you're first through the door. Reminds them it's your den, not theirs. Made house breaking my dog really easier.

5. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister

^^^^^^^^^
    Amen!

Also when the dog is pulling a different direction or just ignoring you on a walk say the dog's name and lightly...lightly snap the lead across their rear end. Lightly, just enough to get the dog's attention. To a dog's mind, you touched it, not the leash and if a dog thinks you can touch them and they aren't beyond your reach they pay closer attention to you.

telestratosonic and Wallo Tweed like this.
  6. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Paws on floor. (Especially when meeting people.)

7. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the replies and good info.
    I agree that I need to be trained in how to train him.

I made appointment for neutering yesterday. Going to reach out to local dog day care today to see if they have puppy classes.

8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Call Barkbusters. It will be the best money ever spent on your dog. They train you, you train your dog. You are the alpha dog, and don’t you ever slip up with that.

9. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I'm getting good advice also from this. Having my first dog, just finished her first obedience class I'm failing at spending the time working with her. She goes for walks and everywhere with me (she going to Tahoe today just for fun) but I need to buckle down and start working with her even an hour a day would be good. Our two big rules are absolutely no food off the table I don’t want a dog that begs when your eating, other rule sleeps in her grate at night grates is not in the bedroom. We lucked out brought her home at 7 ½ weeks she was grate trained and 99% house trained. The biggest thing I’ve learned being my first dog ever it’s a wonderful rewarding experience.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.