Dog Sedative or Options ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rarebreed, Jul 10, 2013.

1. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    If you take her to the Vet regularly, can't you ask the Vet? He/she will be far more qualified to offer advice and has probably had to deal with similar issues in the past.

Sarcasm or not, it isn't funny.

2. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

I love my dog to death. He's a real ham of a chocolate lab. He's got a great personality, very loyal, not to mention quite handsome. When we get visitors though he just gets so excited and worked up he actually hyperventilates and passes out. Fearing for his safety I asked the vet about it, and he recommended a food that has very mild sedatives in it. If company shows up, I lock him a room with some food, he can't resist it, and its simply keeps him from getting hyper. Its not enough to knock him out or to make him act drugged, it just brings him down to normal levels.

3. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

^^^ alternatively use a feed without colourants and "artificial additives", they do exist. Many major dog feeds do use colourants (to make it attractive to us humans) that can make a dog go a bit hyper. I don't know what may be available in your locality, we feed James Wellbeloved "turkey & rice" (a complete kibble). Before we discovered this he was all over visitors like a bad suit, and had to be shut out.
    ADTs don't train like other breeds, if you throw a ball, they will learn to throw a ball not fetch it.

Otoh our ADT likes visiting the vet even though he tries to own the place (ADTs usually do this though, noisily). Once a dog has decided they do not like going there, it is very difficult to un-train them. He had a bad experience with a dog-grooming lady as a puppy and is now 'aggressive' with them (he bullies them), fortunately his current lady is very familiar with the foibles of ADTs.

Vets are used to bolshy dogs. Ask the vet.

4. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Well just gave the ear drops with dry liver treats, worked like a charm.

Positive reinforcement

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

5. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

Our three dogs hate vet visits. One in particular turns into a quivering mass of jelly, literally shaking in fear. No idea why, she's never had anything more painful than her yearly shots, and is otherwise a bold, happy girl.

Personally I would avoid drugs if possible. If she's in good shape she shouldn't need more than a yearly visit. I'd say just suck it up. Not fun for you or her, but it's over quickly and you're good for another year.

When the day comes to put ours down, hopefully many years from now, we'll find a vet to do a house call. Wouldn't want her final moments to be in terror.

6. c.winn

c.winn Tele-Holic

Thundershirt?

http://www.thundershirt.com/

I've heard about these, and they're supposed to work very well. I've thought about getting them for my pup, as she gets nervous in the vet, and during storms.

7. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Our dog does the same thing, just gets real hyper at the vets. Best advice I can give is some Benadryl shortly before taking it to the vet....doesn't take much, but it makes pets (and humans as well) a little sleepy and seems to calm them down some.

I don't believe in beating a dog, or using force on them at all. I'm totally anti-torture to any animal unless it's attacking a human or other animal. (there are some humans I'd love to torture though, but we won't go there).

8. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Oh dear.

Look - dogs learn to be frightened of thunder from their owners, they pick up on our emotions (body language) even if we are not consciously displaying them. Our ADT loves thunder and fireworks too, he likes to bound joyfully around the garden barking back at them. Very pleased he is too when he gets the last word in.

Pulling on the lead is easy to fix, train the dog to walk at heel.

9. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

We use Benedril on our pack of Brittany's . 4th of July our 2 older dogs are scared silly. We split one between the 2. Our rescue Brit is just happy to be around us. Thunder or fire works don't even faise her.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.