1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dog Ear P90s

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Laren, Aug 27, 2020.

1. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

What do you mean when you say tilt? Towards the bridge? Neck?

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Wait wait !

Since you have the choice of where to position the dog, if you want a growling beast, I strongly suggest moving it away from the bridge. At least a ½ inch further towards the neck. The P90 guitars I have with a wider space between pole pieces and bridge are sooo much better sounding than my Jr. Like this TV Yellow below.

bridge P90.jpg
    But if you intend to play cowboy music, maybe not.

Jim_in_PA, crazydave911 and Laren like this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, tilting the pickup so the neck side is lower than the bridge side, so it's parallel with the strings. Not exactly necessary, since a P90 is basically the caveman of guitar pickups (no dis Neanderthals). When trying to get the pickup close as possible, as my ears like, one side will interfere with the strings without setting the shim at an angle nearly the same as the neck pitch.

crazydave911 and davenumber2 like this.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

crazydave911 and DrBGood like this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Whenever I got a P90 that close to the strings, it gave out a piercing shrill ice pick sound. A P90 is the most sensitive pickup to distance from strings. Its sweet spot is anywhere as close as you describe.

But that's me ...

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think a DeArmond Model 2000 is more sensitive, with those huge magnet poles--A p90? it's always a brute, clobbers everything, the height is more a volume control if anything, especially in the neck position. Now I happen to like low-wind P90s close to the bridge, close to the strings, no biggie. I also like to use the volume and tone control with a one pickup guitar, but I have never experienced a shrill ice pick sound with a P90 at all. I'm comparing to Jazzmaster with 1meg pots, doesn't even come close to that. YMMV.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.