Dog bowls...

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
.... haha , first world stuff.
I have noticed that dogs are picky about water bowls.
We used to use nice dog fancy schmansy stainless steel bowls. At some point we started having 2 water bowls next to each other on the floor though. One was ceramic. The dogs would drink from the ceramic 100% of the time if it had water in it rather than the SS.

This is with our 2 dogs who died a few years ago and now with our recent dogs also.

next step; a couple months ago we started using a very small ceramic bowl next to the popular ceramic bowl. It's like a pudding cup size. We started using the small bowl because the dog had surgery and we were trying to get her to drink... taking it to her.

Now both dogs favor the small bowl over the ceramic big bowl 100% of the time if it's not empty.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Once upon a time we got one of these reservoir water bowls.

pet-water-dispenser-small-1-gallon-dffa7d18-87c7-4bad-9574-70965977675a.png

... but then when Harley was drinking from it, it *glugged* and that freaked him out and he refused to use it. It's packed away in the garage now...

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
Our Yorkie-poo was visibly upset when my son had a clumsy moment, tripping over her ceramic food bowl and breaking it. Fortunately, we had a backup bowl for her.

but then when Harley was drinking from it, it *glugged* and that freaked him out and he refused to use it.

We have one of those as the upstairs water. Our Chihuahua mix had a similar reaction but she eventually learned to get along with it.

Downstairs is this water fountain that both the dogs and cats love. It might be a bit too small for a big dog though.

waterfountain31.png

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Once upon a time we got one of these reservoir water bowls.

pet-water-dispenser-small-1-gallon-dffa7d18-87c7-4bad-9574-70965977675a.png

... but then when Harley was drinking from it, it *glugged* and that freaked him out and he refused to use it. It's packed away in the garage now...
couldn't you repurpose it as a punch bowl?

better yet, convince him it is a toilet.

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Yeah ours will only eat off a saucer like her humans.....

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Actually, most of them seem to prefer toilets. It's nice that some businesses leave out water for passing dogs, but leaving a bowl of water in the middle of the sidewalk is just idiotic.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
I've never noticed any bowl preferences by either my dog or cat except that they both seem to think the other one is getting better food and water. So, for example, my dog will try to drink water out of the cat's bowl before its own and vice versa.

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
The guy in my avatar is no dog, but he needs water as much as those other stupid animals.

However, he likes to bat the water out of his bowl with his paw, and lick his paw afterwards. The kitchen floor is a mess most of the time.

Sometimes I can give him water in a glass (just like us hoomans use), but it has to be the right glass. A blue kitchen glass. And I have to hold it with just the right angle to it.

Sometimes he is just a major pain in the arse.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Afflicted
If they only have one water dish, they'll drink out of it no matter what it is.

I had a girlfriend with cats (red flag right there) and she only fed them smelly dead fish canned food because "they won't eat dry food".

They will if that's all you give them, you crazy

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Our little female passed last year. If I fill both bowls with water, the male will never drink out of the other bowl. When she was around he would drink out of both just to make her wait. Had to feed them in separate places or they would fight.

aging_rocker

Poster Extraordinaire
Although they all have their own 'dedicated' water bowls, our cats and chickens all prefer to drink out of an old ceramic pot out in the garden that either catches rainwater, or gets topped up from the outside tap when it's getting dry.

I've seen them queuing up to have a drink from it.