Dog Attack--> People 1, Dog 0

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
We have a park nearby that is off leash but we walk to the park on leash. My balance is a little wonky on occasion so I use a cane or should say an Irish walking stick. The knob off the handle is about the size of a tennis ball and hardened by a roasting. It’s been swung a few times at errant an dog that should be on leash. It will do serious damage. And because of my needs it goes through a TSA search. I’d like to find another as back up.
Good on Ya GB

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
You could have really gotten hurt - glad you’re OK - but everyone here knows you’re a guy who always does the right thing…

Potentially helpful tip - I have a friend who has Beaucerons - beautiful dogs. Her puppy was attacked by that breed whose name we shall not mention, she waded into the battle, got bit, the attacker wouldn’t back off - so she slid, make that shoved, a finger up his bum. Stopped him in his tracks - She had read about it, and it worked.

I asked, by the way - she’s a tough gal - didn’t even spit on it first!

I'm sure that 'digital maneuver' is no doubt activating a different part of the nervous system....

maxresdefault.jpg

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Years ago a friend (who is now dead) had a crazy German Shepherd....that dog scared me....he would back people up into corners, growling, when you went to visit. One day we were at his folks place and he was throwing a frisbee for the dog to catch. One throw went under the trailer hitch of a large boat trailer and the dog, running full tilt, tried to go under the hitch after the frisbee and his forehead hit the hitch at full speed. He didn't yelp or make a sound...he didn't even have to 'shake it off'. It was as if nothing happened. In that moment I realized that if that dog really wanted to do me harm there was NOTHING I could do.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
My wife was out walking out dogs both about 45 pounds. The neighbors down the way have one of those white ornamental dogs. (Good for nothing but barking). Little ***** found she was off the leash and could attack mine. Wife got bit trying to separate them. Her hand got all messed up and her pinkie still isn't right. Apparently the white dog got bit by one of mine and got infected. Don't care.

I told her next time punt that little ***** like a football.

EugeneWeemich

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
We got up early yesterday, opened presents, had coffee and the kids all agreed we'd take the dog to Harvey Bear park for a long walk so he'd be well exercised when we had to head off to my wife's aunts for dinner.

We arrived at the park and started walking toward the trail. We passed a lady and she stopped us and said, 'I know the park is really big, but, there is a wild dog running around attacking people and dogs and biting them.'

It is a huge park, so we decided to keep going and just go the other direction. About 10 minutes into our walk... sure enough, out of on of the trails came a dog, off his leash and clearly 'on the hunt'...

As he drew closer, my son asked 'hey, what are we gonna do?' I said, 'if he comes to attack, drop the leash so the pup will at least have a chance.' I won't mention the breed of dog, but it is one that folks would be concerned about. He was about 70 lbs or so.

In a moment, he was on us and dove at our 1.5 year old golden, who dodged and growled and was probably freaked out. It was by no means a fair matchup. as the attacker dove in again (with us yelling and trying to block) I reached down and grabbed the attacker and pretty much slammed him to the ground, and dove on the dog, my son followed by pushing the dogs head to the and we pinned the dog down.

He was very strong and intense and just crazy. Had he gotten loose, it would have been a really bad situation. I told my daughter and her boyfriend to take our dog and walk the loop.

I called 911 and after about 30 minutes, a ranger came, he said he was dreading coming because he thought the dog would be loose and he did not have any equipment and was afraid of being bit. Another ranger came, and 15 more minutes went by, she also did not have a dog stick... at this point, we were pretty banged up and cramping from wrestling this dog.

Finally, a sheriff arrived with crate and the four of us managed to get the dog in the crate without getting chomped. The sheriff and rangers took our statement and were very grateful that we'd done what we did and how it takess everyone helping to keep things safe. As we walked out of the park (my entire body was aching and a TON of adrenaline) there were 5 people giving another sheriff their statements (their dogs or they had been bitten) and they all cheered and thanked us for subduing the dog.

When we got in the car, my daughter just kept saying, 'you guys almost didn't come, if I had been alone, that would have been really bad' but, we decided to just be happy not more dogs or people got hurt and that whoever let that dog loose was the 'bad guy'.

I got a text from the main ranger this morning asking if she could call and I said yes, (I was taking kids to the airport) and she said that she and the sheriff were going to nominate us for a commendation. Too funny.

I took a couple aspirin this morning, I've got some big scrapes and bruises, just glad to be drinking coffee and getting ready to watch a little football.

It was a bizarre experience to say the least.

Well, good on you for not restraining your pup. Don't believe I would have been as merciful as you were. Attacks from animals require old school rules (i.e. where survival and rage reign).

Don't get me wrong...am an animal lover, and believe in keeping interactions between humans and wild animals to a minimum.

Short story... walking my female border collie mix one day on a community asphalt path. See a lady coming my way, walking a pitbull something (like a pit, only bigger and more built). gave them some space as we passed. last second, unprovoked, that dog made a charge. nearly pulled the lady over. her quote: "ahh, don't worry about him, he's just ornery."

Ornery!? guessing she meant the stubborn definition.

Don't know that I could have fought that dog off successfully.

From that day when I walked my girl, I was prepped to do battle.

In my book, a dog doing a full on attack has tossed out the civility rulebook, and I'll take any measures necessary to bring the attack to a halt.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Well done, I have seen a few bad dog attacks in my time...anything you can do to stop it is a big deal.

As a postal carrier, I get attacked about 1-2 times per year. Not because they are bad dogs, but just the circumstances that surprised the dog or something that creates the situation. Thus far, it has been a pit bull, a doberman, a terrier, and a chihuahuah, with the last ones being the most aggressive of any breed. So far, I only lost one encounter (the doberman) who nearly took my big toe and left me with many stiches to my arm. Funny part is that me and that dog were always good friends and would toss a ball around a little nearly every day, but on that day he reacted in the opposite fashion and charged me when the child opened the front door.

I had a policeman shoot a pit bull that chased me 4 blocks while out running and was attacked by a pack of coyote once in the middle of Iowa (hard to believe but true), so I am familiar with how bad such events can end up.

You did a very good thing, accept the praise as it really is deserved.

I agree whole heartedly!
I was supervisorfor canada post for 25 years my last 10 were in letter carrier land 125 carriers in our fascility I have had upto 5 bites in one day at different parts of the city, and it was always the owner's temperment that set the pace for the animal , If the owner is aggressive then the animal is aggressive. I had one owner threaten to wait for me outside my office because i cut off his mail ,
I also Had the first dog in Kamloops to get tagged as a dangerous animal by animal control, but the sad part was A/C called me 2 days after confiscating the dog asking what is the issue here, this dog is a sweet heart and well behaved .I informed them that this Dog shredded one carrier , and lept over the hood of a car to get to the second carrier and I have cut off mail to the whole dead end street because I could not assure my carriers safety when this dog is free. Later that after noon I get a second call from A/C the owner had gone down to see the dog and upon the owner seeing the dog , it went uncontrollably ballistic , agessive and out right mean.

I have harlo now 125 lbs of tail wiggle loves lettercarriers and his most agressive move is to sniff bums and pee on trees , in the heat of agressive motions he may show you his bone .......if he likes you!

Tele Slacker

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Is the local animal control office testing the dog for rabies? Sounds like you were not bitten per sé, but there remains some risk to you from any scratches etc. Strongly suggest you talk with your doc and evaluate your risk. Rabies is approaching 100% fatal if not addressed very quickly.

Also… testing the dog for rabies also guarantees this dog is no longer a risk to others. Ever.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Damn.
Good job handling it that well GB, glad you and the family didn’t get seriously hurt and I hope the scrapes & bruises heal up quick.

Add in the report of the young mom killed by the family “dog” and this is seriously sobering.
I always carry a sharp lock back knife and have thought about what actions I’m prepared to take in an attack, I can make choices in advance but can’t know what I would do. That kind of stopping and holding that animal for that long really is a less likely outcome, if we all faced the situation.
Just so easy to get hand or wrist bites that do real damage, and what; 45 minutes holding the dog?
Kind of hope the local authorities get better prepped for this?

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity

I told her next time punt that little ***** like a football.

We call them punters for just that reason......really, though, it's the owners that need a good punting....and then some education. It maddens me that most of those little dog owners seem to think that behaviour is adorable and excusable because the dog is tiny and (supposedly) cute. (And just for the record I don't go around 'punting' little dogs...it's simply our terminology that describes our attitude and frustration about that whole situation. If, however, a little one came after me aggressively and attacked it would get punted for sure).

Last edited:

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Forgive for taking this a bit off-topic, but to those who suggested having a firearm, I agree. Anytime I walk in Ft Worth's extensive bike/jogging trail system, I'm "carrying". Not specifically for dogs, but more because there have been a number of muggings and assaults, and not just in what you'd assume are isolated areas. One cyclist was attacked by three "thugs"....he was beaten and robbed, and his bike was thrown into the Trinity River. Pure meanness. While I, fortunately, have never been in a situation where I needed my "protection"......one never knows. Glad your tale had a happy ending. (it could easily have gone another way :( )

The world sure has changed. Not for the better.

P Thought

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My daughter visited her cousin, who had boys I think ages 3 and 5 at the time, and some kind of goofy little schnitzeldog. When she arrived, the three-year old met her at the door and admonished her very seriously, "P Daughter, you must never, ever put your finger in Schnitzel's butt!"

That's quite a story, Mr. 'bent. I don't know that I'd endorse the action you took, but I can't gainsay it either, not having been there. I don't know what I'd have done, just whatever I could think of at the moment I guess.

I'm glad you and yours came through this all in one piece. If the proof is really in the pudding, you done good.