1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does your wife hoard (in large quantities) groceries in your home?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 18, 2016.

1. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yes, she does. She's asked for more pantry room but I refuse to make or acquire another because it'll just become another black hole- like her purse...

2. Zachevans3

Zachevans3 Tele-Meister

We definately always have canned stuff around, and freeze a lot of meat, my dad did but not to the extent that my better half does. We have stuff go bad all the time, but she went hungry a lot when she was younger, so I just throw it out and don't say much about it. My dad was definately big on having a lot of food around as well, which I am thankful for.

3. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I agree. It's a little nerve wracking not knowing the chain of events that lead a particular food onto your plate My mom is a notoriously light eater and always has leftovers from eating out for lunch or dinners which she'll freeze.

I've also noticed in general that the older people get, the less worried they are (in terms of food safety) about what they eat . I once shot a film with an old actor who would order an egg salad sandwich for lunch, eat half and wrap the uneaten half in a paper napkin which he'd put it in his jacket pocket to eat later. For some reason I think he thought the napkin would keep it from going bad. We tried to tell him egg salad with mayonnaise doesn't keep well in a coat pocket on a summer day but he wouldn't listen. He never got sick which surprised everyone.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's my father-in-law. He's wealthy but cheap. We were in the Las Vegas airport after a family reunion, eating lunch. The food was awful, but he stared at the remaining half of his wrap and said, evenly, "I am going to have the rest of this for lunch, tomorrow." So he sat with it in the departure lounge, took it with him on the flight, and when we changed planes he carried it through custom and security and a second airport, then took it on the second flight, through a third airport and so on, until the long drive home. I'm sure he had it for lunch the next day.

EDIT: I have to mention the other food quirk he has, just to get it out of my system! He can't take a whole item. If there is a plate of cookies, he'll take a cookie, break of a piece, like an 1/8th, and put that back on the plate. You can tell how many cookies he's had by counting the 1/8ths.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Tele1966 likes this.
  5. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

My wife does overbuy food and stuffs the pantries full, over full. My wife was raised in an orphanage for a time and she says this behavior stems from that.
    Maybe, maybe not, maybe it is just that way.

6. Gladiator

Gladiator TDPRI Member

My first thought like others was for disaster prepardness. In that sense, it makes sense :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife has been preparing for a disaster for many, many moons. Come to think of it though, it sure came in handy back in '77 when the BIG windstorm blew in. California is so unprepared for anything really that here in the valley things were messed up for a while. We had plenty to eat even back then, we only used up the stuff in the vacation trailer I didn't even know was out there. You ain't ever gonna see my sweetie's face on a milk carton she's always prepared, and knows how to take care of herself. :):)

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Some market chains have a big promotional sale. 15 pounds of potatoes for $ 2.99, and a dozen large eggs for 99 cents, etc. Fresh chicken drumsticks for 49 cents a pound. So, you stock up and now you have to cancel some plans in just beautiful weather so you can prepare and eat some of this excess buying. This is probably false economy - you pass up a chance to hike a particular trail when the wildflowers are just crazy, so you can prepare more potato.

We had some absolutely amazing sauteed fresh green beans at an Italian restaurant in Prairieville, LA one time last year and so, between my girlfriend and I we start buying green beans but they either turn out the way she doesn't like them or the way I don't like them. Still, we keep buying the beans, whether fresh or frozen or canned - we can't stop trying.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I recall a lot of things in the pantry that wouldn't do us much good in an emergency, like all flavors of gelatin and pudding/pie filling mix and multiple cans of fruit cocktail. But the pantry was full, I guess that was the point, it at least gave the illusion of abundance...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

With Merle's recent passing and this thread acknowledging that some of us have seen thinner times in the past, this tune ran through my mind:

Mama never had the luxuries she wanted
    But it wasn't cause my daddy didn't try.
    She only wanted things she really needed;
    One more reason for my mama's hungry eyes.

Peace - Deeve

Toto'sDad and 4 Cat Slim like this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It sounds like that would be more of a coincidence. and that the hoarding had passed preparing for an emergency to just *prepping*

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i always have enough of my moms faves on hand...earlier this year they were not getting the small size can of spinach for a couple months...i had to buy the large can size...then they got in the smalls again...so i stocked up...now she is gone and i have all these cans of spinach...i dont eat it...if my sister doesnt take them back to florida at least i can donate them to the boys scouts food drive they do every year around thanksgiving...i also have some other stuff she likes stocked up so i will do the same with them

stuff for myself...i notice if i regularly buy an item and its stock is low its popular so when they are fully stocked...i buy some extra and try to keep up with them

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Some see what my wife stocks and might think hoarder but we rarely go out to eat. We have 3 kids middle school through high school who like to cook and they eat a lot.

It's nice nearly always having several choices for what to prepare for a meal, and only doing short-term stock up on perishable items.

What looks like a lot is a far cry from hoarders or disaster prep types we know. OTOH, it probably looks like a lot for the modern lifestyle where where many go out or consume pre-made stuff.

Most eating out options are disgusting or mediocrity if you know how to prepare food - more reason this house almost always has a lot of ingredients to work with.

14. 4 Cat Slim

Condolences on your loss, Brad.
    I was tasked with emptying my mother's pantry when she died, and donated almost all of the items to a food bank after checking for expiration dates.
    The woman was really into gelatin mixes and black-eyed peas. Curious thing about these pantry items is that I can't recall
    having either gelatin or black-eyed peas at her home since I was very young (I'm the youngest of three).

15. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

We (wife and myself) do the shopping. And yea, since we get the more than we need costco amount..lol

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

My wife is a ... well I shy from calling her a hoarder, "collector" is a much nicer term. Groceries is a not something she collects however.

We do have a pretty large secret stash of non-perishable food, water, all kinds of emergency items in case of disaster. Stockpiled ammo too. I'm an Eagle scout. They brainwash you into being almost overly prepared....

Over on the Gear Page theres a thread about some poor sap claiming his wife is forcing him to sell his guitars and the responses are sometimes brutal.

17. Toto'sDad

Costco, now that says it all right there. Costco promotes excessive shopping unless you happen to have 13 kids, you ain't ever gonna need the quantities they bundle in an item. THAT'S WHY MY WIFE SHOPS THERE! She thinks she's still living at home with all of them kids punching each other out of over the fired taters!

18. 4 Cat Slim

My sister's home is never without at least one of those large plastic jugs of puffed cheese balls sold at Costco.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Those are not cheese balls, they are fat pellets! When you grab a fistful to eat, just place your full hand on different areas of your body, and envision a big lump of fat right there. Then eat them, and look to see if the fat globules pop up right before your eyes in the very spot you picked! :D:D

20. 4 Cat Slim

TD:
    They remind me of something you'd feed to livestock in order to put weight on them. I guess we're not too far off the mark in our thinking.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.