1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does your telecaster or your stratocaster weigh more?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Kloun, Aug 15, 2020.

Which of your guitars weighs more?

1. Telecaster

67 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. Stratocaster

58 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. teeny

teeny TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have 2 Teles - one 1968 original, one 'Fenix' copy modded with Fender electrics.
    Also 1 1960's Strat; in order of weight Fenix light - original Tele considerably heavier and Strat weighs a ton. For gigs I tend to use Fenix as I am an old man - the Strat sort of leaves me looking like the proverbial Uruah Heap. Trouble is that the Strat is required at times - so if needed try to put those songs at the beginning of set - we do 2x1hr concerts generally and I ain't no Mick Jagger (even he goes off stage for a break these days)
    Jon aka Teeny

2. teeny

teeny TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

YEAH - I agree with that !! My lady (the Les Paul !!) also is very touchy - some days she sings, some days she just will not agree with me, she wins every time.
    Teeny

3. Yuro

Yuro Tele-Meister

Novak:

Strat vs Tele? Hogwash!

I have one Tele (actually a DeTemple '53) weight about 7lb 4 oz.

one Fender John Cruz Masterbuilt Strat at 7.5 lbs,

and one "Jesquire #11" hand-built parts strat, also 7.5 lbs.

I think my Tele cost the most. It was hand built for me from some very good lumber. It is a few OZ lighter than the strats. It's got titanium truss rod, barrels and eyelets. One piece ash body and a curly maple neck the size of a Louisville Slugger.

Just depends on mood and my gig's theme which one I'll play. I don't use whammy bars and block the trems on the strats so switching between Tele and Strat isn't that crazy.

The cheapest of the above is definitely the Jesquire. It's my favorite for playing out. It has some serious SRV thing going on...but if it's going to be country night, I'll bring the Tele....standard black guard/butterscotch.

4. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

This should be a multi option poll, they both weigh more...

5. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

My Paulownia body Strat that I put together weighs 6.3 lbs and I expect the Tele I'm finishing to be even less.
    IMG_20200629_100805.jpg IMG_20200630_094025.jpg

6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

My Teles weigh more because the only Strat I have is a Squier Mini.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you want scientamatific, I got some numbers for ya.

In my experience, with your basic Tele, everything except the body weighs almost exactly 3.00 lbs. This is across a bunch of mostly vintage spec models, like CS and AV. Different bridge plates, different pickups, different knobs, but it all shakes out to about the same.

This is handy if you want to build a guitar to a certain weight limit. It can be tougher estimating how much of a body blank you'll be left with once you carve the body out, but .... if you know the density (weight per board foot, as some body blank sellers provide), you can get there.

There is around 1.72 bf in a Telecaster body. Or 248 cubic inches. So, if you buy a very light blank that your seller tells you has a density of 2.15 lb /bf, you're looking at a finished body weight of 3.7 lb. (2.15 x 1.72). Add in the rest, and you've got yourself a 6.7 lb Telecaster. :)

In general, I find that there's 1/2 lb more wood in a Tele, thanks to lack of contours, and lack of trem cavity. Of course this will vary by density, but it gets us in the ballpark.

Also, there's around 0.9 lb more hardware in a Strat (third pickup, trem block). So, net, Strats weigh 0.4 lb to 0.5 lb more than the equivalent Tele. In other words, made from the same body blank.

All that to say, in answer to your OP, my Teles tend to be lighter, no doubt. That 2.15 lb/bf swamp ash blank is the pink Tele I call Bazooka. 6.7 lbs. My AV58 Tele is 6.8 lbs. The AV52, AV64, and one other come in right around 7.0, 7.1. Then there are the two older AVRIs... nice guitars, but boat anchors. 7.8 lb each.

My Strats... I have two CS that each weigh around 7.7, 7.8. And a parts build thatr comes in at 7.4.

I've got an ash blank in the shop, still deciding what to build. But it's LIGHT. 1.88 lb /bf. That equates to a 6.6 lb Strat, or a 6.2 lb Tele.

Kloun likes this.
  8. Fuggle

Fuggle Tele-Meister

I'm waiting on a Firefly 338 to be delivered as I type...

9. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

My Tele weighs more just under 8 lbs. the Strat is 7.3. My general rule is a cutoff at 8 lbs.

10. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

Years ago a guitar builder friend bought enough ash to build 3 tele bodies. The bodies got cut out to shape and he came to realize he had mistakenly purchased Eastern Ash NOT Swamp Ash. The grain on these bodies was drop dead beautiful but really really heavy. They became known as the "Two Ton Teles"! Two of the three body blanks were completed and I had one for a while. It weighed very close to as much as a Les Paul! Lesson learned!

11. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have one of the rare, light Baja Teles which wieghts in at 7.0 lbs. My SRV Strat is 8.0 lbs.

12. Cass

Cass TDPRI Member

I have 2 Fenders, a '63 CS Tele, and an 60th anniversary Strat. The Tele is 3.4 kg, the Strat 3.6 kg (and the ' 62 G6119 Gretsch was in the middle at 3.5 kg). Interesting that people are reporting their Strats are lighter, I had imagined the Strat tremolo system and extra pickup would add to the weight. But maybe the shaping of the Strat removes some weight? Or maybe it's just down to the woods, etc? (1 kg = 2.2 pounds)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

By and large, the lightest guitars I have are Squier 51s. Which carry some DNA from both Teles and Strats but are neither.

As for S types and Strats, they're outnumbered by T types, Esquires and Telecasters probably 3 to 1. As it turns out I have Teles/Esquires that are both heavier than and also lighter than the Strats I have. The Strats, Hardtail and Trem style, are sandwiched in between. Of course there's plenty of Teles that are right at the same weight as some of my Strats.

What are these weights, exactly? As long as the guitar balances, I'm not that concerned about the exact weight.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  14. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Meister

Strat weight is more for
    Me. 8.0 an srv.

tele is the lightest. 6.6 AO 50s

Lp the heavyweight, at 8.6 pounds.
    Traditional.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Bout the same.
    The ones I play are 6 1/2 lbs or less using alder or swamp ash bodies.

A traditional Strat trem block, springs and claw weighs a solid 10oz though, so all else being equal, that more than half a pound generally gets added to a Strat.
    My Strats are hardtails.

16. musicmasterfuzz

musicmasterfuzz TDPRI Member

Telecaster (2012) 7Lb 9Oz
    Stratocaster (1979) 9Lb 10Oz
    and...
    Les Paul Standard (2005) 9Lb 14Oz
    Les Paul Special double cut (2005) 6Lb 7Oz

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Fascinating.

What I see, instead, are "Strat" guys who own both Strats and Teles, and "Tele" guys who own both Strats and Teles.

When there's a line, I see guys playing either 24.75 scale or 25.5 scale guitars.

18. Vocalion

Vocalion TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

While both are a little on the heavy side, my Baja Tele is definitely heavier than my Strat. I assume that the fatter neck on the Baja has a lot to do with that extra weight.

19. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

you said scientific? Here goes: (sorry only metric)
    BSB Squier tele Samic 1989 4.114 Kg 9.05lbs

bsb.jpg

Black Squier Tele 2005 3.840Kg 8.04lbs
    telebk.jpg

Squier Telecaster Custom II 2006 3.642 Kg 8.01lbs
    custom.jpg

Squier Showmaster 2000 3.800Kg 8.36lbs
    showmaster.jpg

Hamer Slammer series circa 1990 3.341 Kg 7.35 lbs
    hamer.jpg

Memphis japanese LP copy late 1970's 4.482Kg 9.86 lbs
    lp.jpg

Epiphone 2013 The Dot : 3.797Kg 8.35 lbs
    335.jpg

and finally
    Squier VM '70 strat 2017 3.452Kg 7.59 lbs
    strat.jpg

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  20. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

Sorry Boris, I guess I proved you wrong there ;-)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.