Does your spouse like your music?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mtown, Aug 13, 2017.

1. mtown

mtown Tele-Meister

I primarily play jazz on my electrics and finger style blues on my acoustic. This is the style or genre of music I like to play. My wife says I need to play more modern music. (whatever that is). Well quite honestly I don't like most modern rock and pop.
    No Im not playing out or gigging right now and that's probably the reason why. People like to hear tunes they're familiar with and that's just not my thing.
    Do any of you have the same dilemma? I don't expect people to like what I play and by the same token don't expect me to like your genre either. Oh well I guess I'll just play to please myself.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

She doesn't hate it but I'm not sure why. All I do for at least an hour or more every day is sit and figure out songs, not perform them, just hear them in my head and get them close enough that if I happen to get to perform them I'll be able to.

Then, I practice playing it in different keys to find something close to my limited range.

But she always encourages me to play and get whatever keys, guitars and paraphernalia I think I need.

Does she like it? I think she likes that I'm home, with her. :)

3. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

My wife likes most of my bands music, and loves to model our merch at shows or in public. I'm sure she's being more supportive of me than a real fan of the band, but either way I'm happy.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Everyone likes music.

It's just a matter of "which" music

"My" music changes all the time
    Anyway, moot point for me

5. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

My father was into jazz, while my mother did pop and show tunes. I found out that my wife;s taste only coincide with mine when looking back onto the disco era. I then I came from the funk R&B side while she was on the proto techno electronic side.

studio likes this.
  6. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

She says "Yeah. Do I want to hear you play all the time? Probably not. But I like it."

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I don't think my wife likes the hard rock stuff I like to play but I've been teaching a friend of ours guitar and we've been playing all sorts of pop and classics. She likes those: halelujia, wonderful tonight, peaceful easy feeling, let it be, hey Jude.

8. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

No, but I can't play stuff from the 1940's- Clarinets, saxophones, trumpets- Big Band stuff...

I'm trying to learn some Cliff Gallup and Scotty Moore licks, but I still don't think she'd be impressed...

DonM likes this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife the bass player is more into pop rock, but she likes any kind of blues/classic rock that I play and very supportive as I am for her playing bass and guitar. She is a perfectionist and naturally really good with her timing, so I think some of my stuff probably annoys the heck out of her, but she doesn't say anything. I can only sing while she is out of the house though.:(:oops::cry:

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Hmmm. She is infinitely patient with the loud practicing, and patient with my recent pedal GAS-session. I think she likes it, in general - she's not very musical, but she likes that I have passion for something and a cool skill. Chicks like it when guys are good at stuff - could be almost any stuff. She was kinda blown away watching me play out live for the first time in years (first time she'd seen me on a stage). So yeah I guess she likes it!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't think she wants to breathe the same air as me

djh22, jazzman1021 and mtown like this.
  12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife wants me to play for her more often. I tend to practice when I'm at home alone, before she gets home from work. She likes my band, and has always enjoyed whatever I play.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

She loved my music... and then we got married!!!

14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

When my wife and I were dating I played in a band where the object was to support and flesh out the sound of an acoustic guitar singer/songwriter guy. He was really good...pretty simple guitar but knew some chords and had a really nice voice and a likeable, easygoing vibe. I think we did a pretty good job of adding energy, layers and texture to what was already good material, in a tasteful way. My wife really liked that stuff, but I think what she connected with was the singer and his songs.

Since that time the stuff I've played has probably seemed less cohesive to her and not as much to her taste...it's been more about what I enjoyed as "cool guitar stuff", which is probably less accessible to someone who doesn't really give a rip about the guitar in and of itself.

Nowadays I'm playing bass in a three-piece with two guys who like 70s and 80s hard rock. Pretty sure my wife will think we suck when and if she ever hears us. The guitarist's wife likes us though, or at least has the decency to say she does. There's a picture of her with Sammy Hagar on the counter at their house...that might be a good sign.

mtown likes this.
  15. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

My wife tolerates that I'm a musician, but I can probably count on one hand the number of times that she's complimented it. I can play something for her that's perfectly lovely, that any passive observer would at least say is 'nice', if not outright beautiful, and my wife's response will be "I don't know anything about music". And I'm not talking about guitar noodly type things. I'm talking about composed pieces, some of them recorded with full arrangements. It's just too much for her to respond in a positive way. I don't ask her anymore, and I've stopped caring about her opinion on the subject.

And actually, I've stopped caring what any friend or family member thinks. My music is for me and strangers when it gets to them. It's too much of a burden to require critical evaluation from someone whose role in life is to support you. Ask any aspiring writer. They're always hurt that their loved ones won't read their crappy novels, right up until they stop asking.

16. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Yes. We were talking about this earlier. She said something along the lines of she finds it attractive when guys are good at stuff she is into (i.e. music). We literally met because of our tastes in music. We were both trying to form bands and she had put an ad up listing a bunch of bands that I really liked as influences, so the bass player I was jamming with called her and we met up. She probably doesn't like every single thing I've done but she at least respects it.

17. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

My Missus says ........Can you go do that some place else. :eek::D

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

^^^^THIS^^^^ Don't understand why a woman is attracted to a guy in a band and then tries to get him out of the band and never play again unless it's something she pics and doesn't interfere with her plans.:lol:

When my wife and I met, we would listen to music all the time and it was the same music at reasonable volume levels or higher. Now I have my music and she has hers, any music I listen to is too loud, but any music she listens to needs to be turned up.:rolleyes:

For me the answer is no and I don't care.:D

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I was a bit unfair to my wife.Our house has a greatly extended new studio and she says she likes the instruments on the walls.

I reciprocate by building her library and adding extra shelving for her books.

When we met she was into our band and involved with our gigs. Most of my gigs are private events these days so she rarely sees us unless we are recording at home.

I can appreciate how having to listen to repeated recording and tracking is not the same as hearing a full song with a live band.

She recently heard some new masters and was impressed and provided good feedback. She only heard the songs in random bits before.

She never complains about the kids piano, violin, harp and cello noises but then, neither do I.

It's about supporting each other not depending on their exact alignment.

awasson and teletimetx like this.
  20. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Nope, but even if I was Hendrix or Clapton or Richards she wouldn't. For her, music needs to have a traditional verse / chorus structure with heavy emphasis on the vocal and the vocal should be pretty and usually female. Blues doesn't do anything for her and jamming around a nice chord progression doesn't either. She doesn't have a problem with it, she likes that I have stuff I enjoy this much (although I've had other hobbies she didn't have to hear all the time - she probably liked those more), but what I do wouldn't be her thing even if I was amazing at it.

We like anough of the same music that we can go out and see someone and have a great time, but she's not into they stuff I'm most into and I'm not into most of the stuff she's most into. I think the artists we both really love are Bonnie Raitt and Van Morrison. She was also pretty into Springsteen and Robert Cray too, mostly for the singer / entertainer thing. But she's never been at ALL into the Dead, Stones, Richard Thompson (hates his singing, which I love), Hendrix, Clapton, ZZ, etc. Or jazz. The stuff I really love.

But I wouldn't want to be married to anyone else - we both have our own things that the other's not really into...

-Ray

awasson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.