1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does your ride bump, thread

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hey_you, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

We've seen lots of discussions here about guitars, amps, sound equipment and such. What about your car's sound system? We all are into music here. I have a SUV so that gave me more room. I bought my first decent system back in mid-2000. All Memphis Audio Street Edge equipment and a Pioneer head. The Pioneer was an Avic double-din dvd,navigation system.Added the satellite receiver too. Most of that gear has wore out by now and has been recently replaced. Initial cost was around $4.3k. My current system includes Rockford Power T400x4 amp to the door speakers. The original 200w MA amp to the 10" sub-woofer. The door speakers are Alpine R series 6x8. (two sets). And a replacement Pioneer 8200 NEX. I'll gladly put my system to the sound test against others! May not be the loudest system, but mine is very clear at near dimed levels. I spend all the time needed to dial-in the best sound. And finally, the sub-woofer is intended to accent to the bass lines, not to Override it! I found all rattle points and secured em too!

8200.jpg amp.jpg alpines.jpg
    I didn't find photo's of the sub or older MA amp. THIS is the real reason for my hearing loss!

24 track and BorderRadio like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

My 2009 Nissan Altima
    ( I got it in 2018 cheap from a couple needed a minivan for more kids!) has an amazing Bose Sound system in it.

I don't know anything about it, other than
    - I bet It has 8-10 speakers

-a 6-disc CD changer ( I've assigned certain music to each 'slot'!)

- there is a big amplifier bolted to the top of the trunk area,

- and is ( can be) insanely LOUD!

Guilty pleasure - cranking "War Pigs" to ear-bleeding level. It just sounds like Black Sabbath is right there!

scook, Hey_you and 24 track like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

$4.3k for a car stereo?

I seldom pay that much for a whole car.

maxvintage, scook, richiek65 and 8 others like this.
  5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I once went to a car stereo show down , and one guy had an 18 driver mounted to just below the rear window in his celica ( yes thats right) and with the many hundred watts of useless power he had in there, the back window would bulge and the car frame would torque with each passing note , I suspect the car rattled to pieces in no time flat,

I guess my point is that much power in a confined space A) niether allows the speakers to breath or project ( speakerers are a parabela and have a focal point usually several feet away )
    B)tweeters use a small wave legnth that is highly directional and with all of the sound absorbtion inside a car it is highly impracticle by design to get any sort of fidelity ,
    loud does not sound great its jut loud .

it would be more practical to have a sound system tuned to the actual space limits of the listening environment than to have 5000 watts of useless power in a confined area.

Hey just my opinion and as a sound guy I still have great hearing for my age! but humans are crazy by nature LOL:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

JSMac and Hey_you like this.
  6. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I was homeless at the time. Kept me entertained.

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Systems such as that share your music with everyone within two or three blocks, at least the bass line. When I feel somebody else's boomba-doomba through my own seat and steering wheel from across an intersection, I think, what a selfish, obnoxious person.

Just sayin', as they say.

8. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Heck my Jeep came with an Infinity 9 speaker stereo including a factory subwoofer in the back. I bluetooth music off my phone and can listen to just about anything. I ride with the windows up most of the time so it only needs to be so loud. It has plenty of bass. I wouldn't need a larger amp as my ears only need so much inside a vehicle. I appreciate the big systems if you are going to park and open it up for listening public.

Hey_you likes this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The sound system that came in my 2021 BMW 330xi is amazing. Is it worth it? It’s as worth it as much as the rest of the car is worth it. The only thing wrong with it is that as soon as my wife gets in the car, the music gets turned off and she switches back and forth between cable news channels. And what’s worse than that is the running commentary. I just heard three talking heads with the same opinion. I need a fourth like a dog needs feathers.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Hey_you and Deathray like this.
  10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i know very little about sound systems and stereos. i have a Ford car and Ford truck and they both have excellent stereos in them. i can really hear basslines and instrument separation better than anything i've ever had.

no idea what brand they are, Ford i guess.

Hey_you likes this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was into this in my early 20s. I had a system in a '92 Civic lol. Yeah, I know :D

I think it was a Kenwood Excelon headunit, the one with swimming dolphins animations. Later I had an Alpine headunit. The Kenwood was nice, had a six-CD changer in the trunk.
    MTX 4 channel for the Boston Acoustics components in the front door. Some Kenwood whatever in the rear deck. Two 10-inch Precision Power subwoofers in a bandpass box, and Precision Power 1400w amp. The amp was nearly 3 feet long. Kicked your chest in in step with the kick drum. Destroyed your innards with any Miami bass. It was fun for awhile.

PPI Sub.jpg ppi amp.jpg

Hey_you likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

Hahahahahahahahahahaaha great comeback!

Hey_you likes this.
  13. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

My GTI actually has a Fender stereo system. It came with the worlds smallest sub that fits in the middle of the spare in the hatch.
    [​IMG]

Hey_you and Deathray like this.
  14. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

One of the things that seduced me about my 2021 Mazda, was the 12 speaker Bose. It sounds unreal. Bose designed it specifically for the cabin, and they moved all the speakers out of the doors, to eliminate vibration. It’s the best car audio I’ve ever had. The trunked subwoofer is big enough that on certain songs, I feel the need to turn it down at red lights, as not to annoy people my own age group in the car next to me:p

Hey_you likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

Yeah that was a thing for a while maybe around the turn of the century.

Made me wonder if those folks had a life?
    Can’t have a conversation and not a good plan for kids getting busy in the back seat. So what (was) up with that?
    Music gang wars?

16. Hamstein

Hamstein TDPRI Member

I replaced the back of the back seat in my Morris Minor with a fane 15" pa driver and two random 8" drivers plus two smaller drivers in the front side footwells, It needed to be loud so you could hear it over the whine of the differential!:D

Hey_you and dougstrum like this.
  17. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Nice to hear about other's systems. My family members lives mostly 1000 miles away in different directions. Plus I like to explore. My explorer get about 370 miles on a tank. Pushing 80 on cruise control. I make a pit stop and am on the road till the next fill-up. So the music helps make the trip a little more pleasant. As I travel alone.:(
    So lets hear what others have. Ye being a bit more critical of what they hear on the road.

18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Used to install them for friends ( and a small fee) as well as build stereo systems in the 70s to earn a bit of cash to get through university.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.