does your marble ever crack?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by cleanheadsteve, Jul 14, 2020.

1. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

i'm talking about when u use a piece of marble or granite for a nice flat working surface. i have several but my first one has cracked and busted so many times that i'm afraid to replace it until i prep things properly first.
    More stable surface so marble doesnt flex? maybe some operations shouldn't be done on the marble? for instance using a random orbit sander? maybe the motor vibrations will cause stone to crack?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

2. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Never had a problem with mine, of course I try not to pound on it too much :)

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

don't use Marble... Marble is comprised of diatomaceous earth.. i. e., billions of little dead sea bugs... use Granite .. it'a made of granite.. :p

Most of the Egyptian statues etc are Granite.. while some have indeed cracked... they've survived much better than the Marble and Limestone used by the Greeks and Romans..

Remember, Rameses II could have anything he wanted.. but, he chose Granite.. probably because a particularly aggressive Counter top salesman got to him .. but he chose Granite.. :D

to getcha a piece, visit any Stone countertop fabricator or materials sales shop.. they have more of the stuff laying around waiting to be hauled off than ya can imagine... you can probably walk away with a piece big enough to give ya a hernia for free... but ask first.. :eek:

r

Novatuc, greenhornet, bsman and 3 others like this.
  5. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I seem to lose my marble(s) just before cracking... :lol::D

rangercaster and 39martind18 like this.
  6. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I use the sink cutout from our granite counter tops. It had to be cut out on site, so I kept it.

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

As Ron said go see a shop that specializes in counter tops etc. I did and got 2 perfect size pieces for sanding and a sink cutout. They had a lot of nice size pieces of granite and quartz.

8. Ronkirn

Ooo stay away from Quartz.... it's more fragile than Marble... I had a dining table with a quartz top... weighed about 300 pounds... when we moved... the movers lifted it and it cracked in 3 places....

Get granite... that's a Granite slab they use for the table in Beatlejuice .. Day - O . . DaAAaAay - Ooo . . Daylight come and I don't wanna drop that on my toe.... :eek:

r

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I lost my marbles a long time ago ... I can't answer your question ...

Sorry ...

10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

sad trombone...

rangercaster likes this.
  11. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

If you just need a small piece of granite, like for instance to provide a back-up for a single sheet of sandpaper, the box stores sell the 12" x 12" granite tiles for right around $5 bucks each.

Some stores carry the 12" x 24" granite tiles too.

They are ground flat enough for any of the work we might do on a guitar.

Even though the tiles are relatively thin, as long as you support them (like by laying down on a table or bench) they are plenty durable.

jkingma likes this.
  12. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

now that u mention it, i'm not really sure what it is. marble? granite? i better snap a few pics and get back to u

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

+1 on visiting your local granite countertop fabricator. The one nearest me (5 mi?) gives away 1ft square samples. I asked if they had a piece 1x2 and they had a whole pile of 'em. Sink cut-outs are common scrap and I've seen some bigger stuff in their scrap pile too. Back 5 yrs ago, we ordered a piece from them and when they hoisted it up on the cutting bed to cut it to the size we wanted, it broke diagonally...instant scrap. We had to pick out a new island top but I could have gotten those two pieces (it was like 6x12 before it broke) for nothing, provided I could get it on my truck. Hindsight, I should have had them cut the scrap into a pair of round Bistro-table sized tops.

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Bed the marble or granite in a thick layer of thinset mortar; the mortar is what lends strength to the surface. Thinset mortar with glass fiber in it is about the stiffest stuff going.

15. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of granite sink cutouts, that I am sure will be fine for my intention. Not surface plate quality, but good enough for a hack like me.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Curious what the need is for this "nice flat working surface"?
    Aside from leveling something like frets, what are you all doing with big pieces of granite?
    I used a piece of broken countertop for a front step at my basement door, now I wonder if it should be in the workshop?

17. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

In the machining world it's called a 'surface plate'. Mostly used for taking uber-precise measurements of parts made or to be made.

In the guitar world, a surface plate is usually used to flat-sand sides, arched tops and backs, etc., as well as honing chisels and plane irons. You tape your sandpaper flat to the surface and work the wood or tool over it.

Keep a square of plywood on it when it's not in use, because you will set stuff atop it and you don't want to spill anything on it or otherwise chip or damage it.

If all you need is a small plate for precise honing of chisels and plane irons, many woodworkers use a small section of float glass.

18. Ronkirn

Well I have a nice flat granite surface to sit my Cigar on.. that way, it doesn't roll off... Priorities ya know.. :D

r

old wrench and telemnemonics like this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh right I could see sanding archtop plates, and a table saw might be needed for other chores.
    Sharpening tools on emery paper over glass I've always viewed as hobby habits for those who don't want to buy good stones or diamond hones.
    For measuring parts? Machinists sure but seems extreme for wood parts that will not stay that precise overnight!

OTOH we establish habits we like.
    I wondered if I was missing something, not quite convinced I need to drag my countertop stoop out of the dirt as yet!
    OTOH it gets slippery when wet!
    Many times turning the snow blower I've slipped on the durn thing.
    Maybe it would indeed be better used in the workshop!

I do use the table saw for flat sanding big stuff now and then but have no source for huge sheets of sandpaper.

The next tool I need is a router planer setup with rails to mill big flat surfaces, which might then make a granite sanding block very handy.

As far as a cigar stand goes, that might be handy too, just need to learn to smoke 'em!

20. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Honing a 16" planer blade on a diamond stone can be a real challenge ;)

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.