Does YOUR Fender Amp Have This Problem ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PCollen, May 17, 2021.

1. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I had a 97 Blues Jr "green board" amp I recently sold that DID NOT even though using the same brand (IC) caps. Verify using an inspection mirror , and taking voltage readings, before charging in with the dikes and clipping leads:

24 track likes this.
  2. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My old, circa 1991 or 1992 HRD II did. By the way, there is a recent, large thread on this already.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/heres...r-uses-on-their-mainstream-tube-amps.1069418/

My own conclusion on this is that the caps chosen for this are at the low end of the product range of reliability and temperature (85C, 2000 hrs) in a pretty hot application, sitting above the tubes, but also it was discussed that axial caps are less common these days. Both may affect cost decisions.
    (Edit, corrected an extra zero)

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    24 track likes this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

This video has been brought up, and debunked, a few times now :D

24 track and hepular like this.
  4. SRHmusic

Not sure it was 'debunked.' It's objective that there are many higher rel caps available, for example. I think it's a case of it being possible for many things to be true at the same time, e.g.:
    - Lower end caps were used,
    - But they do just fine most of the time,
    - Yet are one of the main failure modes.
    So lots of people buy these and have no problems, but those that do are keeping techs busy replacing caps.
    These are not contradictory, but different people can see different aspects and think the other is unlikely.
    Cheers

24 track likes this.
  5. corliss1

Nah, the title itself is enough to debunk it. They "all" have this problem. Well, no. Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Are there better parts? Sure. Does Fender specifically use known-bad parts to lower their reputation? Nope.

24 track and Archtop Bill like this.
  6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Bear in mind the DRRI has been around since 1993. That means the oldest examples are 28 years old. That's well and truly old enough to see this bulging and blistering even if quality bits are used.

The very earliest Hotrod Deluxe/Devilles had 450 volt caps and B+ of 446. But later examples were 500 volts.

Blues Jnrs run a lot less volts and power so not likely to suffer similar issues.

24 track and corliss1 like this.
  7. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

granted it's a clickbait statement, but it IS a fact claim. & it's by definition wrong, since it only takes 1 DRRI to not have the problem to invalidate it. ymmv about how you feel about people who are willing to deal in hyperbolic claims. Aside from that, the guy just doesn't sound like he enjoys what he's doing.

8. SRHmusic

Right, it's incorrect to say "All (of anything) have this problem." I think the statement he made in the video was something like, "This is the #1 repair job of amp techs across the country that work on Fender amps." It's probably not easy to even verify that even the #1 problem claim is true, but I guess he could make that statement for himself and a few techs he talks with. Clickbait. Ugh.

9. SoK66

SoK66 Tele-Afflicted

I'd say it's fairly common knowledge among amp techs that IC caps are used by mfr's because they are bottom feeders cost-wise, with enough "quality" to get the amp mfr through the warrany period at a high enough confidence level to satisfy the bean counters. You'll know it's safe to enter the water with them when you see the boutique amp manufacturers using them. (Don't wait up.)

24 track, theprofessor and SRHmusic like this.
  10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

debunking....let’s do that before this one gets started.The Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville amps were introduced in 1996. The Blues
    Deluxe/DeVille were introduced in 1993.

24 track likes this.
  11. SRHmusic

Thanks - It must have been a 1998 or so, I don't think from after 2000. It was an HRD II, built in the U.S., and I recall looking up the serial number. I sold it a few years a back and can't find a photo of the plate. (I have a guitar with a serial number that they say is from either 91 or 92 and must have confused it with that. )

In any case I purchased one of the third party refurb kits as it had both the cap and resistor issues. It cleaned up okay, but always had issues with heat. I sold it to a friend that uses it only at home, and he's happy with it. That was in 2017, so it was already about 19 years old. Here's a snippet from the edge of a photo of the inside I did have, showing 1996 or 1998 on the board.
    upload_2021-5-18_9-7-37.png

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    24 track and Wally like this.
  12. Wally

The serial number on that amp has noth8ng to do with the date of manufacture. Starting in 1990, Fender reinstated a two letter date code that is usually on the bottom line of the small...1”x2”....black and white label that is affixed inside the cabinet wall.
    This two letter date code works like the two letter date code that was in use from 1951 through April, 1967. Starting in 1990, the first letter denotes the year and the second latter denotes the month...AA is January, 1990. BA is January 1992, etc...

Fwiw, the only serial numbers from the factory that indicated the date of manufacture were in use from 1976 through 1989. These codes use a letter...A for 1970s and F for 1980s...followed by SIX digits. The first digit indicates the year of the decade....A6xxxxx is 1976, F0xxxxx is 1980.

Yes, there are serial number charts now that are used for dating amps from the early years through 1975, but those charts were constructed after a huge project to correlate date code information from amplifiers from those years and then construct those serial!number charts. Those charts are accurate except for the numbers on the cusps of the ‘breaks’ for the years. For those amps, one must do what was done before....use the EIA codes and the tube chart date code...if that is there. Using these codes from which those serial number charts were ‘divined’ is still the best way to know the date plus the originality of the amp, ime....just the way ‘old timers’ have always done and still do...because originality of those components establishes TRUE vintage value for a serious, informed buyer.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    24 track and SRHmusic like this.
  13. Wally

If a person is interested in vintage Fender amps and the dating thereof, the six articles to be found at this link are the basis for being informed...
    http://www.ggjaguar.com/biblio.htm

Tommy Biggs, 24 track and SRHmusic like this.
  14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Say what? I have zero knowledge of such things.
    Bottom line, should I sell my Fender amp?

Wally likes this.
  15. Wally

What Fender amp do you have? Ime, all Fender amps are not of the same quality either in production value or sound. It is a personal thing as to what one does with their particular Fender amp.

Tim S and 24 track like this.
  16. corliss1

In the other thread we determined the amp in the video had caps from 2004ish. So even if there were in the "bad cap" era, it's still time for replacement by the time that video was made. Useless video and info based on that one sample.

24 track likes this.
  17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I agree with one thing in the video, he used F&T caps those are super clean sounding , thats all i use when recapping

18. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

These Psionic Audio vids are massive whinge fests. Everything that doesn't fit his opinion is factually wrong.

Abu Twangy and corliss1 like this.
  19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.