Does your favorite drive pedal have a sweet spot below full volumeo on the guitar?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 4pickupguy, Dec 11, 2019.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Something I noticed on my Rat and then my first two fuzzes. I set the Rat for a little higher volume, roll back the guitar volume knob just a bit and it gets much more harmonically complex and much more responsive. A magical sweet spot that just sings. The fuzzes (Fulltone ‘69 and Moollon Octavia) do as well but nothing like the Rat. None of my other drives do this. What is going on to cause this? Any other pedals do this?

capt pearl and Seasicksailor like this.
  2. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

This is true for lots of pedals and in my experience it works even better for amps. I always think my tone is better with the amp cranked more than I need and use the guitars vol knob to dial it back a bit.

Seasicksailor likes this.
  3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I generally keep my drive pedals set just a hair above unity gain, with the exception being the trusty old "Tube Screamer with the gain on zero and the volume slammed".

4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

I find that with fuzzes a lot, especially germanium. Balls to the walls on full volume, but a full spectrum of sounds all over the guitar volume sweep.

4pickupguy likes this.
  5. Gyprock

Gyprock TDPRI Member

Less of a hot signal perhaps? I can't use my Mooer Gray Faze as it absolutely splutters beyond any audibility (even at zero) unless I roll my volume back to at least half. This is on broadcaster/twisted tele pickups. Sounds absolutely fine on a junk strat copy however...

4pickupguy likes this.
  6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Yes...my favorite Overdrives—TS9 Tube Screamer and Danelectro DO-1 Daddy-O—have specific sweet spots that have some sort of singing harmonic convergence...

I’ve noticed that the “room” in which I’m playing will affect this as well, which means that the settings will sometimes have to be adjusted to reach the same sound/effect.

4pickupguy likes this.
  7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah I'd say so. Maybe more critical with amps though as was previously mentioned.

I really need to start disciplining myself to set up with the guitar volume at 75-85% and turn up for a boost. It makes everything come out better. If setting up with 100% volume it gets really really easy for any pedal to be too bright when you kick it on. And you lose a lot of your ability to roll off the volume unless the overall amp volume level is very loud. On top of all that the best rhythm sounds with a standard wired Tele don't seem to be with the volume at 10 on the guitar.

Of my pedals I'd say the Op Amp BMP I have is the one I am most likely to roll the guitar volume back when I'm using it.

8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Part of the reason I so desperately want to mod my big muff is my favorite sounds only seem to happen with my 75, and while I can accept that, I want additional options so I can find some equally favorite sounds with other amps.

Specifically, I cant seem to get my "wrestling a dinosaur " fuzz happening without my toronado (and its gibson 57s) along with the 75. I have been able to get "barely sane with peach skin edges" with my supro, but my mustang sounds too weak compared to even the single coils on the DS or Tele.

So, yes? Sweet spot(s) that migrate.

Oh, my Soul Food does this awesome thing far below unity: I dial in just a bit dirty on the far right knob, put middle knob at 12oclock, then drop below unity gain on volumeknob. Then I engage the fet gain stage on my Supro and have sweet crunch.

Whenever I buy a Rat finally I'll let you know what i find with both relevant amps. I suspect similar hidden sounds?

9. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

It's definitely so for my Broadcast clone (at least at the second stage of gain), and for my Dark Side.
    The Broadcast becomes less 'harsh' but retains sustain, while the Dark Side just becomes less fuzzy and more overdrive-y. :)

10. Seasicksailor

But reduce the volume too much and you lose all the 'magic'.

11. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have never had an OD over maybe 1/3 volume.

12. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Right now I've got four ODs I use, a TS style, a Rat style, a Klon clone, and a (new) Boss SD-1. I find with each of them, and no matter which guitar I'm playing, that I can a variety of useful tones with guitar volumes at different points, sometimes as low as about half way up, and certainly about 3/4 or 8 out of 10.

13. Seasicksailor

Just to be clear, the OP is talking about the guitar volume, not the pedal volume (right?). Unless I'm mistaken, some posts seem to be talking about the pedal volume.

4pickupguy likes this.
  14. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I would assume yes. And yes.

15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes. Edited the title to say it also. Rolling the guitar volume back and finding a sweet spot where things just “open up”. There is a spot where there are way more harmonic overtones and it feels more responsive to soft/hard inputs. It happens on any pickup selection or even any guitar. It’s not a subtle thing at all either. I swear I’m not sawing BBs here. I’m not where I can record a video demonstrating what I’m talking about but I have recorded some things set this way. It would really need to be a live video. Also, thinking about it, I wonder if it would manifest itself in the freq analyzer of my DAW..? I need to try that. As stated before my Rat does this most notably but I have a FF and Octavia style pedals that do the same thing. There is an old demo video by Allen Hinds using a Bob Burt AH-1 Distortion pedal where he alludes to it twice. Once when he is talking about 'notes and overtones' and again when he sets up his "lead setting" by rolling the volume back a little (8 or 9)... anywho, thats the closest video I know without making one myself focusing just on that quirk..

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  16. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I have read enough from others to believe it, but it is pretty subtle for me. One of those things that just doesn't make a huge difference to me.I will have to try it when I get home.

4pickupguy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.