Does your cat hate your tele?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gypsy Eyes, Jul 9, 2011.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

was the cat the only resident who left for a week?....

I'll bet the pipes cleared the house... wink..

sort of like a reverse pied piper....

2. hwy145

hwy145 Tele-Afflicted

I used to have cat that went crazy for the harmonica. She'd climb right in my lap when I played it.

3. notdave

notdave Tele-Afflicted

I'm quite surprised at the number of ailurophiles on here. Man Rules usually demand a hatred of felines.

Oscar and Emmy are impressed :)

4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My 19 yr. old cat (also orange) does the same thing, but he didn't start doing it until he went deaf. He also makes string-changing time a nightmare. He loves to play with them while I'm working.

So the answer to the OP's question is no, my cats don't hate my tele. If I play too loud, they'll get up and leave the room, but they do it slowly with annoyed looks. Old Sluggo just hangs around since the noise can't bother him. Oh, and every last one of them will sleep in a guitar case if I foolishly leave it open for more than a millisecond.

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

My best little buddy Clyde The Cat runs away when I plug in a guitar. Sometimes he slowly creeps back into the room after I've been playing for a few minutes. But if I stop playing long enough to reach over and scratch his head, he runs away again when I resume playing. I think the sudden onset of noise startles him.

He's the same way if I play music on the stereo system, he'll run away at first, but may wonder back in and pace across the back of the sofa.

He's still a young cat, only sixteen years old.

6. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

I have a cat that can't stand being in the room when I play, one that loves it (she runs in when I crank the stack) and the one we lost a few months back was so old and deaf he didn't care either way.

7. Big Steve

Big Steve Tele-Holic

My cat has taken ownership of the top of my amp. He loves to sleep on it. In fact, when I plug in, he just stays right on top. It doesn't seem to effect him at all.

8. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

I have an outdoor cat that is blind in one eye and very hard of hearing, but unbelievably friendly. To the point of being rude actually... :lol: I was on the porch playing a guitar on a chair and he had to jump up on the little bit of lap that was available and rub up against the guitar till I moved it.

9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My cat Eddie who went missing several years ago used to sit and watch me play. I wouldn't go so far as to say he was "listening". I miss him very much.

10. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Trev, there was no-one else in the house at the time....I made sure of that first! Being an Aussie you will no doubt have a great affection for the pipes, especially with one of our mutual sons, Mr Bon Scott making such a good job on them with his other Scottish/Australian friends the Young brothers.

11. therecordfable

therecordfable Banned

:lol:

12. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

My cat leaves the room if I turn up the amp. But if I start playing up high -- especially doing bends on the first string, up above the 15th fret -- she comes back into the room and rubs her head on my foot.

Cats..they're strange folk.

13. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Shouldn't the cat go later in the signal chain?

14. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

My cat LeMew tends to love any of my guitars when I am playing fingerstyle stuff, but especially blues. Doesn't matter if it is acoustic or electric, plugged in or not. He really seems to like the Vibrato on my Magnatone the most though as that always seems to bring him in the room if I am playing through the Maggie. He will try to jump up on my lap and typically he is not a lap cat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not sure it's really the Tele the dog and the cats are against, but the volume instead.

Remember, they hear about 25 times better than we do. :eek:

I used to have a cat that would actually come into the room and lay down in front of me whenever I would play my classical. ;)

16. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

My cat likes it when I play. She comes over and sits down and leans on me. I think she likes the vibration. This is more true when I'm playing an acoustic than my Tele. She did NOT come investigate the new LP -- when it was plugged in.

17. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Actually, it's not MY cat - we were playing at this countryside pub with my rockabilly/country cover band, and I noticed that people in the audience were laughing and pointing towards the side of the stage, so I turned around, and the owner's cat was sitting there on that parapet-type thing at the side of the stage. The cat stayed there and around the front-row tables for most of our set - must have been an Elvis/Johnny Cash/Hank Williams/CCR fan (those guys' songs made up half of our set...)

[​IMG]

18. Dwills94

Dwills94 Tele-Meister

i dont know about cats hating my electric but my friend has a golden retriever that is so mesmerized by acoustic guitars that if you leave one like leaning against the couch he will just sit and stare at it and drool all over it. it only took one time of me picking up a slobber soaked alvarez to make a habit of keeping her in the case while unattended :eek::lol:

19. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen some guitars that had that effect on me. :lol:

20. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

ahh no my cats don't like my playing the guitar and amp. However they did like to try to use my amps grill cloth as a scratch box which has gotten them a squirt from the squirt bottle.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.