1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does your acoustic have a cutaway? Do you use it?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by 985plowboy, Oct 27, 2019.

1. dangerine49

dangerine49 Tele-Afflicted

No, I didn't have one until last month.

I have a '58 Gretsch New Yorker archtop (my first guitar) and a 2007 Guild GAD-50 dreadnought. I am a former lead guitarist although not so much anymore. I've always missed a cutaway with my acoustics and have wanted a Taylor for quite a while, so I bought a pre-owned 410CE for my 70th birthday. I love it and will definitely be using the cutaway moving forward.

2020-01-18 22.10.01.jpg

P Thought likes this.
  2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

My acoustic journey started on a Fender Dreadnought back in the early 80's. It was my only acoustic for something close to 30 years. I decided I wanted a 'good' acoustic and began looking for something that had a cutaway... But, ended up with the polar opposite, a 12 fret non cutaway. I love 12 fret acoustics now... I have three now.Interestingly, one has a cutaway! LOL

My most recent acquisition:

[​IMG]

I will say, there have been times performing with my #1 acoustic, a Gibson Custom Shop Keb Mo, that I have wanted higher fret access. But, it is not enough desire to make me look for anything with a cutaway. The Cordoba, above, just happened to have one. I am not sure I will spend much time up there... it is hard to get a nice clean sound out of the those areas. My fingers don't fit between the frets and I get a lot of buzz and rattle up there. I did not set out to even buy another guitar. But, my wife liked it, and bought it for me for my birthday after hearing me play it.

My #1:

[​IMG]

3. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

I actually had to stop and think about it: eight acoustics no cutaways. There is however an acoustic bass that does have a cutaway.
    Now I know.

4. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My electrics are all single cuts - as is my Aria Sandpiper. The cutaway rarely gets used,
    but do I like this little guitar...
    Sandpiper.jpg

5. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

No and no. For highs, I have a mando, electric guitars, and a squareneck dobro.

For what it's worth, if anything, Danny Ferrington likes the sound of cutaways.

Personally, I don't hear any difference. That's probably why I'm not Danny Ferrington.

6. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

yes all my guitars have cut outs and i use them on occasion but if i didnt have the cut outs then i would probably need them more

7. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, and yes. Breedlove Premier Rosewood dread. Sounds great and very easy to play.

8. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Yes, and yes it gets used. I play leads in an acoustic based classic rock/country cover band. Our version of "I Want You To Want Me" has me reaching for the highest notes available on the neck. It's a stretch and not a comfortable hand position when playing that solo. It's only for a few seconds so I get it done. Additionally I play slide. The Cutaway sure gives good access. I also play a traditional type resonator. The neck meets the body at the 12the fret. No cutaway. It definitely has it's limitations. With a slide on my ring finger, I have to tweak my play style to access notes above the 12th. Traditional grip, even with a slide on anything above the 15th fret is pretty much unavailable. The cut-away is a good thing, and yes opens up the higher registers of the fretboard a lot.

9. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

No and yes. My first acoustic was a 1983 Martin D28. I passed it down to my son when he graduated college. I also used to have a Takamine FD360SC, which I recently sold to help purchase my new Taylor 414ce-R.

10. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes and yes, I have 3 acoustics (2 martins and a national tricone) my d-1r doesn’t but my OMC15me does, and it gets used quite a bit-my wife’s songs like to have a mandolin sound in there, and the omc does it quite nicely, along with jazzy octaves and other such fills as needed-my d-1 while a nice throaty dread just doesn’t do that very well, I wish my national had a cutaway, as I do reach up above the 12th fret fairly often...

Franc Robert

11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Timely thread for me; I'm currently looking into getting an acoustic. I've been loaned a Martin and an Ovation from two different friends, plus I've previously tried my neighbour's Yamaha. I had a trip out yesterday to play various other Martins, Ovations, Talkamines, Fenders and Gibsons.

I don't think I'm too bothered about not having a cut away, because I tend not to play so high on an acoustic...to be honest I don't go that high on an electric (rarely over the 15th fret anyway). However, it's now in the back of my mind, thanks to this thread. :rolleyes:

I don't want to end up buying a succession of acoustic guitars, so for once I'm actually taking my time, trying lots of different ones. Living with my loaned ones for a few weeks, etc. The one I buy might be (for me) quite expensive, so I want to be really sure about it.

I think I'm leaning towards the Gibson G-45 Studio (only tried the G-45 Standard for now, until they get more stock of the Studio), but that's a non-cutaway model. I like the sound and feel though, so maybe that's all that matters? As I said I rarely play that high up anyway and for some reason I seem to play acoustic guitars in a different style to my electrics, which means even less high up stuff.

Tl;dr. I'll let you know. :oops::D

12. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Afflicted

I have a guild with a cutaway. I only play bluegrass, country... so..i only need my first 5 frets....

but... does the guitar sounds as well as it is, without it?

13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I can join in now...

Yes it does. Though with the current 13 gauge strings on it, I'm not sure how much I'll be playing up at that end, but it's nice to have the option.

I wanted something cheap that I could take to acoustic open mics and not have to worry about an expensive guitar getting damaged or even stolen. However, I'm really quiet taken with this guitar, even though I gather they aren't particularly sought after I just bought it based on how it felt to play and for what I paid I shouldn't have too much trouble getting my money back, even if I PX it against something more upmarket later...but I don't know that I will as it's good to have a 'beater' (though I feel bad saying that about a 30+ year old guitar).

First picture.jpg

Attached Files:

14. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Nope.
    I don't like the look of cutaways and playing that high up on acoustic sounds awful. There are far more appropriate instruments to play those notes on.

15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

No. Three acoustics, no cutaways.

Cheers,
    Geoff

16. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No and no.

I have owned a Larrivee with a cutaway which I later traded in for a Gibson non-cutaway. Never bought a guitar with a cutaway since. I think they sound better without.

telestratosonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.