Does year matter that much?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Michaelrules, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Michaelrules, you haven't as yet made any indication of the PRICE of any of the three guitars in question.

It would possibly help folks here to give you a bit better advice - AND save you from getting ripped off. Particularly as, in your own words, "I'm an ultra newbie when it comes to telecasters"...

2. ESQUIREoholic

ESQUIREoholic Tele-Afflicted

If there is one thing I've learned about Sunburst finishes is they are hard to get a real picture of. I've taken several pictures of the same guitar at angles and different light and get very different pictures.

As for the shape again the guitar picture is taken at an angle and is probably distorting the image somewhat. Lucky thing is you're going to check it out first hand and can determine if you like the looks, feel and tone up close.

They both are great choices - I hope one fits the bill.

BTW I think you'll get a little better snap with the Ash body and a bit more warmth with the alder sunburst. Especially because the Ash has the maple neck and the sunburst has a rosewood neck.

3. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I totally agree. I owned a brand new 1972 Thinline and it was a cool guitar. If I had the chance to buy it back now, I probably wouldn't. Last year I put together a MIM 72 Thinline re-issue body with an American Standard neck and it plays way better than my original 72 did.

A few vintage guitars are pure magic but most of them are fire wood. Yup, I said it!

4. bottled

bottled Tele-Meister

:lol:

Some old guitars just die.

5. Textele

Textele Tele-Holic

A few vintage guitars are pure magic but most of them are fire wood. Yup, I said it![/QUOTE]

And well said! Could not agree more. Truth does indeed shine forth this fine day on the TDPRI!

By the way I like the Sunburst one.

6. Michaelrules

Michaelrules TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the responses and help guys. So the other day I went to check out the sunburst 92, and was rather disappointed. It lacked any semblance of tone, and the rosewood fretboard just wasn't my thing (i like them on Gibsons and Epiphones though).

ANYWAY, today i purchased the 2003 ash body model. OH MY GOD i'm in love. This is my first Telecaster (i've only owned Strats before) and I must say i'm a convert.

Through my homemade BBO pedal into my GA-5 it sounds pretty great already. I think I might trade in the GA-5 for a Tweed though soon, just to complete the package ;)

7. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

This thread could be made into a book, I bet it would sell.

8. 68thinline

68thinline Tele-Afflicted

That's true. Fortunately, the best ones are easily identifiable by the word TELECASTER somewhere on the headstock. ;)

9. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

I bet it wouldn't..... Not enough pics!

M

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

OK, here's a photo. My Thinline project guitar.

A '72 Re-issue body with an American Standard neck and my Telenator modified WRHB's. Pure sonic bliss!

[​IMG]

11. GuitarPlayerFL

GuitarPlayerFL TDPRI Member

This post should be a sticky on every guitar forum.
    This is what every used guitar dealer at shows should get into their fat heads.
    There's always a sucker at shows who buys a poorly constructed 70s guitar for top dollar and thinks it's vintage just like the 50s guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.