Does "Turn the Beat Around" Ever Actually Turn the Beat Around?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Ed Driscoll, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Meister

Asking the very important questions here: I was counting fours after I clicked about halfway through Vickie Sue Robinson's original 1976 version of "Turn the Beat Around" on Sirius-XM's '70s channel on the drive home today. It seems like a straight-ahead 4/4 disco beat. Does the beat ever actually turn around, and if so, where in the song?

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmmm never thought about it

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Ask Mr. Richards. He will know.

bblumentritt, TigerG and Ed Driscoll like this.
  4. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I couldn't believe it when that phrase was used like that in a hit song. I always figured the writer heard that phrase and realized it made a catchy hook.

No that never happens on the record and if it did they would never let it out of the can. Turning the beat around is a mistake. When you turn the beat around it's a timing error where you loose track of the one. Usually most noticeable with drummers when they get turned around and the three becomes the downbeat.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Bassman8 and Ed Driscoll like this.
  5. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I used to have a friend who was a part-time bedroom drummer only. Every so often I (and others) would attempt to jam with him. As soon as he went into any inkling of a fill he would come back to the beat with the kick and snare reversed, dead on every time. And amazingly, he couldn't hear it when he did it! It was hilarious, but it didn't make for anyone wanting to try to jam with him too often. On one occasion his wife (non-musician) watched him do it and explained to him pretty articulately how he was screwing up, but he didn't get what she was saying. She had him step through it multiple times, and every time he went long or short and came back in backward. We even tried to talk him into not playing fills, but he couldn't resist the urge.

6. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

IMO, drummer is the anchor, percussionists play off the beat.

7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

yes. there is a part (maybe the long version) where they do.

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Harry Connick shows how to do it, around 0:40. He adds a 5/4 measure to move the clapping from 1 & 3 to 2 & 4. Watch the drummer shakes his fists in approval!

dan1952, Basplr, Rustbucket and 10 others like this.
  9. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

Maybe if you want to count the triplets as 6/8, but the beat is 4/4.

Of course Tommy Lee and Carl Palmer may be on the backline upside down and turning around.:lol:

10. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

That's brilliant! I've never seen anyone do that with an audience. Like you said, he turned the beat around purposely to get them playing 2 & 4 and used that to launch into a really strong NOLA style bamboula /mambo rhythm. And playing with a clapping audience can be really dicey (they tend to drag the temp down). He played the crowd (in the most positive sense) like an instrument. That's impressive stuff!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Did he do that to switch all the people clapping on the one and three to the two and four? BRILLIANT!!!!!!
    EDIT.....I must have been typing when fretWalkr was posting.....brilliant minds and all...;)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  12. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

This thread reminded me of the Kings X song “Dogman,” where there’s a section where the guitar riff gets reversed and played alongside the non-reversed riff...they set that up around 1:45 and again near the end.

13. hepular

hepular Tele-Meister

check out snarky puppy tiny desk concert, or a porcupine tree concert . . . there's also the chick corea/steve gadd "Spain" in which they really mess with the audience.

and then there's THIS:

Lawdawg and Sidney Vicious like this.
  14. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

Head is banging down as usual for the half verse "Turn the beat around..."
    Then it feels like the song is trying to jerk your head backward on the asterisks in the next half verse ". * * * *.*...." (sorry I don't know the words).

*That* was what I thought was meant by "turn the beat around" = "jerk 'em hard with the backbeat".

You feel that, right?

15. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

It doesn't turn the beat around, or turn it upside down, either. But if you love to hear percussion, it doesn't matter.

16. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

Pardon the continuation of my previous uneducated post:
    I guess that to jerk the listener again (by adding or subtracting the necessary time), after that second half verse, would be too disorienting, so they return to head banging forward by returning that bit of time, and it comes back hard on "Turn it...".

So, no, it doesn't get turned all the way around in that song.

17. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

The people dancing to it turn the beat around when they start clapping on 1 and 3.

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

When done well that's one of my favorite drum tricks. Obviously there's quite a difference between doing this intentionally and having a hang up like your friend had!

wulfenganck likes this.
  19. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

This is WAAAYYYYY more exciting and entertaining than 90% of all drum solos I've ever heard! Kudos to Nate Smith for a demonstration of excellent skills without really shaming the audience!

Lawdawg and hepular like this.
  20. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Hey, do it like the Jazzers: you're playing a the wrong notes? Just repeat it and pretend it to be calculated inside/outside playing.....the rest is all about the aura of confidence!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.