Does this sound like a stock SF Champ in this video?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LetItGrowTone, Mar 24, 2020 at 3:54 PM.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

The bare walls of the small room do seem to add to the sound from that Champ. Joe’s a monster player and certainly knows how to get good tone. Honestly it’s surprising that he’d bother with a SF Champ.

Imagine Vince Neil or David Lee Roth in white spandex and chaps in the mid 80’s. Girls literally throwing themselves at those guys every show.

Joe’s kinda like that, but not.

For Joe, its always fellow guitar guys throwing amps and guitars at him. Every show. He’s gets offered gear everywhere he turns. He literally buys or accepts a ton of it. I’d wager some dude has a roadie buddie, who got him into Joe’s sound check. Dude shows up with a SF Champ and offers it to Joe for $500. Joe’s like, “$500? Really? I really don’t need another SF Champ but what the hell. For $200 sure, I’ll take it.”

Next scene, Joe’s in his room as seen here, warming up for the big show that starts in 30 mins. Toying with the new Champ.

The dude has gear. The man knows tone. He’s surely demonstrated how to coax it out of seemingly, inferior gear.

Look at Joe B’s collection. He’s got a lot more to show from his touring, than DLR or Vince. Lol.

Phrygian77 and stevemc like this.
  2. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Listen to what he says at 13:24

He himself says because of the setting (bathroom) that it's not "legally binding".

3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

The amp seems to be able to get more overdrive than my stock 1968 Champ could. After I did a tone stack bypass switch mod on it, it could do a lot better, but I blew the stock speaker out the same day. I put in an orange Radio Shack 8" guitar speaker and it sounded much better. So maybe he's using a modified Champ with an upgraded speaker.

4. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

He meant "This isn't my usual setup so don't criticize my tone for this interview. It's just a Champ in the bathroom."

5. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Can't possibly tell with a recording. Recorded and played back through other speakers, that sounds like a whole lot of different amps. In fact, it sounds generic to me. And Clapton's tone on "Steppin Out" sounds way better than Joe's does.

6. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Joe likes Celestion speakers, he puts them in all of his amps, so he might have one in that Champ. Celestion used to make an 8" Champ speaker some years ago, I don't think they are in the catalog any more.
    Al

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Either of my SF Champs would do that cranked with hot pickups. I don't play so well as him but you can def get that tonality you'd never do that really. Unless you were on a Keef-Ampeg midboost binge.

Once you get over 6 on volume especially with treble so high - look out. That is freakin' loud in person. Within 5 min your missus will be like 5TFU!

8. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

The G8C is hands down the best speaker for a Champ (blackface at least). You'd never know it's not a 10. I put one in a '66 and that amp sounded better than my own blonde VC build with an Eminence 1028k.

Perfesser and LetItGrowTone like this.
  9. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Ya know, I've generally considered that if I ever built a Champ (Tweed, BF or SF) it would get at least a 10 inch or even a 12 inch speaker. I'm beginning to "reconsider!" While a larger speaker choice may help with room coverage and distribution of sound, the tonal perspective for the lower watts may be more even and "condensed" making it sound more focused to the range we as guitarists often want! Especially if not worrying about the need to "fill" a room with sound. For personal "sitting in front of the amp" practicing and/or what a microphone wants to hear, why bother having more than is needed?
    Just Wonderin'
    Gene

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

IIRC those Radio Shack orange basket speakers were made by Utah.

11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Built 'em both ways. Make that all four ways. Or maybe four (squared) which is sixteen different ways.

Seriously, I've built '50s and '60s Champs with

8" speakers

6"x9" speakers

10" speakers

and

12" speakers.

The advantage of little guys, your 8" and 6"x9" speakers is you get ripping tone at slightly reduced volume.

Just a hair more volume puts acoustic feedback and note bloom within reach. This is still at the 5 watt level!

A 12" Eminence GB128 makes the little bastard sound so "British" you'll start talkin' with an English accent and observing Afternoon Tea.

A 12" Eminence GA-SC64 fills in the missing bottom and yielding a "Where have you been all my life?!" tone.

4-6db might not seem like much. That's the difference between an 8" speaker that makes your Champ a useful tool in your bedroom and a 12" speaker that makes your amp a useful tool for any venue that has a competent P.A..

LuthRavin, jonrpick and LetItGrowTone like this.
  12. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

Now I have to cost/benefit the many ways to buy/build a Champ.

Thanks everybody.

13. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Best quote I've heard in a long while..of course being couped up will do that to you!! Thanks for putting the smile on my face today Muchxs!! Play Safe my friend

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.