1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

does this sound like a decent trade ?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by buckwalder, Nov 8, 2015.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I have a mint condition Ampeg reverborocket R12 r I would say is a 2001 model. Blue diamond tolex, 2 6l6 tubes 3 12ax7s. Great tone,great reverb. Its just not as loud as I would expect a 50 watt amp to be.

I'm considering trading straight across for this.

Peavy classic 50 2x12 black tweed original cover, foot switch, casters and Celestian vintage 30 speakers. This is not the newer model with the belt buckle logo. It looks more like a fender hot rod series.

I know squat about Peavy amps so any help would be great.

I cant seem to find much info on this exact model. I noticed that the 30 watt model is using 4 el84s like the 50 watt. Is the 50 watt pushing these 4 tubes too hard ? Thank you

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I had a friend who played through one of those Reverberockets. It really was a sweet sounding amp. Not sure if I'd make the trade, but I'm not really the one to talk. I sold my '80s Super Champ so I could buy a new AC15C1. Do as I say but not as I do?

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay, so you have an amp that you say has 'great tone, great reverb'. What do you think of the Peavey? Compare. Do what pleases you. I would keep the Ampeg...if I held its tone and reverb to be 'great'. But...you might like the PeVey.

4. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

The Peavey will be louder for sure in my experience, but may or may not sound better....that part can only be judged by you. I have experience with much older Ampegs and the reverbs were better than pretty much anything, if yours is anything like that then the peavey reverb will not be nearly as good. Money wise, I'd think the Ampeg is worth slightly more but not enough to make or break a trade. good luck.

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Classic 50 is a good sounding amp, plenty of headroom on the clean channel, I don't care a lot about the gain channel but you can dial in a good tone, I just used OD pedals through the clean channel.
    The C30 does use 4 EL84s too, not sure why it is rated at 30 watts but the C50 is louder.
    The reverb is ss driven not tube, but it's ok , not going to sound like tube Fender or Ampeg reverb but I don't think the RI Ampeg has tube reverb either.

Sounds like an equitable trade , especially if you need more volume.

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

If you just need more volume, consider switching to a more efficient speaker. You could keep the same amp and be twice as loud.

7. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Thanks fellas, I think what interest me is the fact that the Peavy has vintage 30's. I wont be able to see or hear the amp until Monday night.

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I think that would be my choice.

9. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Sometimes we just want something different. I would be more inclined to keep the Ampeg.
    Take your time and try to trade up, this would be be of a lateral (w/ slight dip) trade.
    Just my 2 cents tho...

10. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Your right, I think I'm just bored with what I have and want to try something different. This Ampeg is one of those crate made Ampeg reissues. and they seem to fall in line with the Peavy price wise used.

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Celestion V30's.....if they are English V30's and one likes them, that might make a difference from a personal point of view. I don't chase after Chinese Celestions....for several reasons.

12. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Lol !

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

I'd keep Ampeg, get it benched, make sure power tubes are doing their job correctly and then get a louder, more efficient speaker. Sometimes getting the perfect speaker for you is just as good as getting a new amp.

14. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Classic 30 = 4xEL84 in series
    Classic 50 = 2 pairs of paralleled EL84

Classic 50 has 1 more speaker than your Ampeg, will move more air. I recently worked on an older Classic 50, and it was not bad to work on, it didn't have the folded circuit board.

15. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

I like the speaker switch suggestions. Also, saving up for a 2x12, 4x12, 2x10, or 4x10 cab is a fun way of keeping your core amp sound but still getting the excitement of changing things up a little.
    I have a 20watt Princeton with a 12in WGS g12c/s that I sometimes run through a 1x12 avatar cab with a Celestion Gold to change things up a bit. I can't wait to get a 2x10 cab to run it through!

16. snarph

snarph TDPRI Member

the Ampeg in my opinion will definitely have a better tone but clasic 50 is not a bad amp

17. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Depends
    My C50 had a sweet tone... voiced to play live I thought. Not bassy and mid-cut like a solo player might want. Held its own outside with full band.
    Should rattle anvils at the nearest machine shop.
    Tubes ok in the Ampeg? Seems a pretty balanced trade if conditions line ok.

18. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I didn't do the trade yet, I really didn't have the time. But I have read a ton of great reviews on the peavy in the meantime. The Ampeg is a sweet little amp but it just dosent have the power. It's really hard to find info on the Ampeg as you have to weed through all the other ampegs with the same name. The one constant that I have found reguarding the ampeg I have is that they don't perform like a 50 watt amp volume wise. Too bad because it is a good looking /sounding amp.

19. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Swapping something you don't want for something you do is always a good trade. Just make sure the other thing is what you want.

20. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

the Reverberocket is MUCH more usable for gigging in small/medium sized clubs - the Peavey is a very loud amp (and HAS to be turned up to sound decent).

IMO the Ampeg is a much better sounding amp as well. Build quality of these relatively inexpensive amps is about the same.

I wouldn't do it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.