Does this Les Paul look legit?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by draggindakota, Mar 20, 2019.

1. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

2. Jared macneill

Jared macneill Tele-Meister

Id say it is a fake. The cutaway looks off. And the fact that it has a merlan?nerland? Style headstock joint is weird. And always one rule to follow " if any doubts at all run!"

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Tonetele likes this.
  3. Jared macneill

O its a parts caster at that id most definitely run . You can find a studio for that price

4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

To me, it looks legit compared to the story in the ad. It would be strange to put together a fake Gibson and then tell people you put it together yourself and sell it for $600.

Could at least be worth checking out. Not sure the price is great considering some of the 'tributes' go 2nd hand for 900-1100 CAD (unmangled) around here. But if it plays well, and you like it, the price is probably irrelevant.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I've had a few Gibsons. The serial number and Made in USA stuff looks wonky, like the letters and numbers aren't lined up right. Mine weren't like that.

6. Jared macneill

Thats a good point

7. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

I would stay away~
    My initial instincts said there’s something wrong with this LP (but what do I know lol)

Maybe it is real, but I don't like getting guitars that have been assembled/modded from the ground up by amateurs, so many things can be "off".

Just noticed, the G tuner is crooked too.

8. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I know of precisely zero 2013 Les Pauls with a volute. It's a nice looking fake, but a fake nonetheless.

- D

9. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

It's legit, I owned the same model and paid around 729.00 new. If it were a fake, the first thing I'd check is if there is a truss rod under that cover! The knock offs, seem to be truss rodless;)

10. StrangerNY

Yours had a volute? The only LPs I've ever seen with a volute are Norlin era guitars.

- D

11. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Yes Sir, that was the first thing everybody noticed about that model, I tried to find the pic of the one I sold, and can't find one with a pic on reverb?

Take that back, found the pics, but not off the back of the neck!

12. StrangerNY

I'll be damned. I did some looking around and found out that Gibson made a 70s tribute that year, with a volute!

I stand corrected. Ya learn something new every day around here.

- D

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

The body might be real
    http://espanol.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-70s-Tribute.aspx

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/3301-gibson-les-paul-70s-tribute-2013-vintage-sunburst

But I agree about being wary of amateur assembly. Plus he’s made some perminant aesthetic changes.

Run away if you have no soldering or setup skills. It could end up being a project.

Though I’d probably enjoy the Burstbuckers more than the dirty fingers that came with it.

Run away if you have no soldering or setup skills. It could end up being a project.

They were going for $999 new before they were being blown out probably around $700 – maybe as low as $550 depending on how long they where in stock.

$600 seems to be the going rate for very good condition. I think he’s asking too for too much money for it. I just paid $520 for a brand new blem Les Paul (BFG).

All the money and time he put into it isnt something you need to pay for. He made some bad artistic decisions. I can tell they don’t bother you but you can use them to get a better deal. Maybe $400 or $450, I guess maybe $475.

If someone would paint tuners, truss rod cover and poker chip — there’s no telling what they might do.

Good luck.

14. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Looks odd to me but I haven't been keeping up with the newer Gibsons.
    No binding, volute, Gold printed headstock logo. If it's real it must be some kind of special run les paul studio.

16. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

You never know with Gibson . Ecspecially in the 70s. I know on their banjos a lot of times they robbed Peter to pay Paul on whatever parts was laying around to finish a job. Great looking guitar anyway!

17. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

Looks totally weird. Did they revive the volute at the headstock/neck joint in the 21st Century? I only ask as it was one reason why players didn't like the Gibson guitars of the Norlin era(70's). It seems strange to see it on a 21st Century "Gibson". It doesn't look like it has the right amount of rise in the top, so the neck doesn't look to be at the proper angle. I'd go with a mid 90's Studio over that guitar. They're about the same price and at least Gibson was still building good guitars during the 90's. If it is an actual Gibson production from 2013, then no wonder they failed as a company.

18. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I noticed 4 things
    1) the serial number and the year match, the serial and back stamps were done before the final finish ( chibsons are not , they are stamped after the finish )
    2) gibson always does a 3 piece head stock, a center piece and 2 wings the machine heads are real gibson issue
    3) the bridge is a true gibson ABR bridge and not an epiphone bridge the spacing is different on an epi bridge
    4) gibson started to stamp the year on the back of the head stock , chibsons dont
    5) I just noticed the binding follows the Maple cap in the cut away , that is a gibson thing fakes did not have that
    I would say it is real , but I would want to open the cavity to see the controls they would be proper gibson wiring with a circuit board mounted volumes etc.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  19. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I think it's a legit Gibson Future, made to look like a Tribute. Myself, I don't care for the fake binding, and the sanded poker chip, and painted tuner tulips just don't do it for me. I'm pretty sure if it was fake, it wouldn't have the volute on it, and to me, the headstock, complete with the serial# and look genuine. A very unusual guitar indeed, but probably genuine.

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't really seen a Chibson with a volute, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. It would be a weird feature to put in, because some collectors and cork sniffers avoid them and so on.

Also the no fingerboard binding aspect would take a lot of work to fake a recent cheaper model down to the serial number, which is attention to detail they usually don't bother with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.