Does this Guitar addiction ever stop itching????

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gravel Road, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Gravel Road

Gravel Road TDPRI Member

I would stay here and chat, but, I have to run. The guitar store opens in 30 minutes and there is a sale going on.

Alter, NewKid, rangercaster and 2 others like this.
  2. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

like everything, yes, when you leave this earth.

play music!

Dr Improbable likes this.
  3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Nope

Especially
    1. If you can really play.
    2. Semi pro or pro musician
    3. Have a visually stimulation syndrome
    4. Like different tones instantly
    5. Have the "collection" hording Gene(s)

You're screwed!
    Fender laughs.

richiek65 and Dr Improbable like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not really interested in spending money I have on any more guitars, but if I had some money that just fell into my lap, I'd like a new D-28, and a Tuff Dog Tele if you please.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  5. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

I wish it would!

It just dawned on me that I don't have a "proper" 2 pickup Tele.

I really wants me a new tele now...;)

6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I found it’s just easier to give into it if the GAS gets too bad. I admit that I’m an addict. :lol:

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I was at Gryphon Music in California and some much older gent and I were looking at guitars. He turned to me with a wan smile and said, “I want this guitar. I’m 93. Even though I’ve got one foot in the grave wanting guitars never stops.”

Obsessed, rob2, rangercaster and 2 others like this.
  8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

My goal became finding the least expensive good guitar I could get and treating GAS flare- ups as cheaply as possible.

To that end my Number One is a fifty buck canoe paddle I got from the Charlotte, North Carolina Salvation Army. I keep my receipt in my gig bag if anyone wants proof.

I was hocking some other gear at a Boston area shop when some tweaker walked in with an Ultra Cheapo he wanted to redeem for a few coins. The shop wouldn't give him the right time of day. I gave him ten bucks.

My additional goal is to always have a POS guitar in the car in case I meet someone who needs one.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you are totally satisfied in your life and possessions ... what do you have to look forward too ???
    Long live GAS ... and the possibility of something better ... or a wild goose chase down a rabbit hole ....
    Hey ... it's entertainment!!!

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The degree of harm is of course different but addiction is something I've been learning to manage for about 22 years since getting off the dope.
    For the first seven months I wanted that crap every single day but just didn't act on the obsession.
    More than a year and I could still get a rush of desire if I thought about it but it wasn't an every day craving.
    In those first few years I bought a lotta gear!
    Hell that went on for 15-17 years but there was also the fact that I'd had really good gear and lost it all to drugs.

If life went a certain direction I could maybe lose a marriage to guitars.

Now I actually have enough gear and really want for almost nothing beyond being able to pay my bills and keep home and marriage working.
    It's an interesting feeling really, wanting for nothing and also not having those irrational cravings, as if all my stuff was unsatisfactory and unfulfilling.

So for anyone who truly wants to stop with the impulse buying, I'd say don't give up before the miracle happens!
    If it doesn't cause any harm then why stop though?
    eventually it might turn into a negative and then there are solutions, like selling off the gear (everybody seems to love selling used gear for top dollar on reverb, ebay and craigslist, right?), giving the gear to needy kids, maybe nieces and nephews etc.

One thing to consider if it feels like a negative obsession is maybe do some volunteer work for the less fortunate.
    Consumerism is fun and funny to talk about, but many are in need and charities can't keep up.
    Maybe talk to one of those homeless Vets standing at an intersection with backpack and cardboard sign.
    See if he (or she) really is what he says or just a fake who's doing fine.
    Give the guy a pair of boots or a couple bucks, remember we are part of a community.
    I think remembering our great fortune in the world can help us feel more fulfilled with what we have, and feeling fulfilled is a good thing in and of itself, regardless of any benefit to the less fortunate among us.

duzie, JL_LI and W.L.Weller like this.
  11. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been playing guitar for fifty-two years.

I’m presently working on giving the 5E3 Deluxe a serious case of lycanthropy while I design a non-standard cabinet for it in my head. I had enough tradition in the military. I actually dreamed about the 5E3 circuit last night.

When that’s done, I want to change the pickups in my 50s Road Worn and wire it up with 4-way switching. And I want to rewire my Gibson Les Paul Tribute gold top like a ‘59 ‘burst, with some new PAF clones.

Then I’m going to build a Partscaster. If you look around my house, there are guitars, electric and acoustic, amps, a piano, mandolins, harmonicas, recorders, assorted woodwinds, and probably stuff I can’t even remember, in most rooms. Everyone in the house plays multiple instruments.

And yet, with all that going on, I find myself daydreaming about a Gretsch G6120T, an Erlewine Lazer, another Strat, and a 335 as I putter around. And I want an oscilloscope, and you know what I’m going to do with that.

When I’m done on the forum, I’ll pick up my Advanced Jumbo and noodle while I think about the 5E3 circuit and what I can do to it. Later, I’m going to order some stuff, probably from Mojotone.

There is no hope. There is no cure. Once infected, it’s for life.

rob2 likes this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I get that itch when I am bored of the gear and sound I have at the moment. I then have to remind myself that it's not about the gear, it's about your own abilities to get the sound you like from the gear that you have. That's the challenge! At the moment I am pretty happy with the setup it have. I am still always interested in something new, but then I have to be prudent in the fact that if I really need to have it. That itch can get expensive if you don't control it.

13. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Maybe see if this guy's ideas resonate with you.

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Nope.

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

If I ever get my hands on the greatest guitar ever made I’ll let you know!

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

It kinda does. Strikes me he’s really saying if you’re a good player you use the right number of notes in the right places at the right time. What you play them on makes no difference.

17. telemnemonics

Herein lies a problem:

Will we even recognize it if we walk past it in a guitar shop?
    Will a six figure price on the tag alert us to its holy grail stature as a tool for playing music?
    Will it exude relic worn mojo telling us it's great and perfect?

Or will it be more like the hammer you left in the grass last fall while fixing a loose board on the back deck, right before it snowed and you forgot it there, where it waited patiently for the next time you need a good hammer to get the job done?

Those are the greatest guitars ever made, the ones that still work after long periods of neglect, and work well enough that you can focus on the music, and not be in awe of this showpiece oozing with mojo and promise.

Now and then I catch a glimpse of my favorite under $500 guitar and remember how beautiful it is, but mostly I take it for granted.

18. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve been Guitar addicted since 1965.
    I actually have friends that considered seeing therapists.
    Until they realized that a year’s worth of appointments would be about the same as buying a slightly used Gibson L-5 Montgomery.
    They saw the light...

Also: Consider that the man who collects say GTO’s or ‘63 Split Window Corvettes is in much the same place and perhaps for even more money than Joe, Slash, Richie or John V.

The addiction as a passion?
    There are much worse things in life.

Steerforth and bftfender like this.
  19. telemnemonics

Not to be a pisspot (OK I'm being a pisspot) but I didn't hear that guy express a single idea of his own.
    All the cliche's he quoted were valid but he just quoted a bunch of old chestnuts.

Also (in traditional pisspot fashion), what Eric and Duane recall is that they had to go buy a NEW amp for the Layla recordings and their best recollection is it was a brand new Princeton, not an old Tweed Champ. Maybe they both assumed the other would bring an amp or the studio had what they needed.
    That would of course have been a lowly SF Princeton, and a 12 watter at that!

I did love the repeated idea that a Champ was responsible for the Layla sound, but interviewers asked the men who played and got a different story.

Since it makes a good chestnut we still use it and it's still valid.

Don't get me wrong, all his lines were well chosen!
    I suppose the world has a new guitar player born every day that hasn't heard that stuff yet...

Steerforth likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

Haven't we heard the same line somewhere about handbags and shoes?

Better still: At least I'm not cheatin' on ya!

Steerforth likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.