Does the "what's your best price?" offer work for people?

CharlieO

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Almost never negotiate either, take it or leave it! I am in no hurry.
Besides music instruments and gear is not something that is worth investing your time in.
It always takes far too long to get rid of, that is also why I have stopped being in a hurry.

People talk alot and do little!

I understand your approach, but mine is different. I agree that it isn't worth investing much time in selling musical instruments and related gear, or cars or whatever. For that reason I am in a hurry to get it done. I do a little bit of research before listing the item for sale, and I price it almost exactly at what I believe to be fair market value. Serious buyers recognize that immediately, and they act quickly to avoid missing out on a good deal. I have sold several guitars and amps in the past ten years, and they sold very quickly. Time is money to me, and I am not going to waste $100 worth of my time trying to sell a $400 amplifier.

ronzhd

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Not as a seller, never again. I learned the hard way on Reverb. I can't tell you how many times I would get that question, "what's your best price?", and then it would be "great to know, I will keep that in mind", and they did not buy. I actually put a disclaimer in my listings that said I would delete any offer type questions in the messaging area. Some sloppy knuckleheads always ruin a good thing.

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
If you are a Realtor in Florida and several other states and you work as a transaction broker as most of us do, you know that when a buyer asks "What's your best price?" you are not legally permitted to disclose that information unless the seller has provided written authorization for you to do so. The buyer must present the offer, and it should be in writing to be taken seriously.

I'm a Realtor and quite aware of what I'm allowed to disclose. My point wasn't that "you answer the question", but instead that the question itself is just a collection of words. There's no inherent reason to be offended that one might ask it.

giraffenc

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
I think the "what's your best price?" approach can work if it's clear that you're asking the same question of multiple people. I've done something like that in the past, where I make it clear I'm definitely buying whatever product it is that day, and I'm going to buy it from whoever gives me the best price.

Blackmore Fan

Tele-Afflicted
I don't negotiate. I set a price that is fair, most times more than fair.
If some sniveling chiseler starts up with me, I just end the conversation. I have already set the price as low as I'm willing to go. Below that, I just keep it.

That's *one* way of approaching it.

Unfortunately, that's *only* one way of approaching it. When you assume that your way is the only way you're missing out. Plenty of people you just labelled "sniveling chiseler(s)" buy plenty of gear. Part of knowing that is part of the reason we shouldn't always start with a price that we actually expect to get--people like to bargain.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
That's *one* way of approaching it.

Unfortunately, that's *only* one way of approaching it. When you assume that your way is the only way you're missing out. Plenty of people you just labelled "sniveling chiseler(s)" buy plenty of gear. Part of knowing that is part of the reason we shouldn't always start with a price that we actually expect to get--people like to bargain.

You're right. It is only one way of approaching it. That's all I'm really concerned with. I see that we will not likely be doing business in the future. LOL!

Last edited:

viking

Friend of Leo's
Yesterday a guy that bought an amp and had a look around offered to make a bid for everything for sale in my music room , could be interesting.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I sold a guitar tonight to a nice younger guy, probably mid-late 20s. He asked "Is there any reason you're not selling it for more?

I was kind of taken aback, but offered to increase the price if it would make him feel better.