Does the "what's your best price?" offer work for people?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by KokoTele, Sep 23, 2021.

1. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

There are limits to what Im willing to put up with.
    BTW , if I sell this guitar , or keep it it doesnt really matter in the big picture. Im not in a hurry , and need space more than money . I have so much other stuff going out of this place , Im at the post office every day.

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

Do you homework and research and if the price seems fair, forget about all that "what's your best price" ********. That's coined lingo invented by chiselers and con men.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Perfect formulation.

This is just hilarious to watch.

If you have a firm price, list that way.

If you don't, why believe it is ok for the seller to hide their best price, but the buyer is supposed to offer their best?

Bizarre.

Lots of counterproductive behavior and attitudes being repp'd here. Who knows if the represent reality or posturing, btw.

4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

No soup for you !

BTW , on the platform I am using , you have to tick a box if you want to receive offers , so the price is already kind of firm..... But off course , people bid anyway , and I can manage that just fine..... It is the serious timewasters , offers for trading with the most peculiar things.....and-and-and.... Im not a kid , I know how it works , and I have sold lots of stuff during the last month and a half....

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    sax4blues likes this.
  5. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

I get annoyed when I post something with a price, and then someone contacts me with a “what’s your best price?”

They are asking me to bid against myself, which I’m not going to do. So, I usually politely tell them that I don’t bid against myself, there is a price listed in the ad, and if they want to make me an offer of something they are willing to pay, I’ll consider it.

guitar_paul1 likes this.
  6. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

I do it often, and have never received a rude or sarcastic reply. I find it much more respectful than trying to lowball someone.

MilwMark likes this.
  7. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That kind of assumes everyone’s goal is to get top dollar as quickly as possible.

I’m a private seller and very busy with the rest of my life. Returns, hassles, disagreements are costly to me. I’m also usually selling because my collection has become embarrassing or unwieldy, not necessarily because I need the $500 or whatever.

It’s not generally important to me to squeeze the last $50 or whatever out of a sale. It is important to me to sell to a reasonable person who seems to understand what they’re getting - that person goes away happy and doesn’t cost me anything further.

So when a guy tips at step 1 that they don’t “get it” for some reason, I’m out. Someone normal will buy my widget eventually.

CharlieO, P Thought and TomBrokaw like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Me and my stepdad went to look at a shotgun one of my classmates had told me about when I was a teenager back in Arkansas. It took quite a while to wind our way back to where they lived. When we got there, Mr. Scott asked what we were doing there? We said we come to look at the shotgun for sale. It was a Stevens side by side nearly new, a famous 16 gauge, shoots like a 20, kicks like a 12! He brought out the shotgun, we looked it all over, and my stepdad said what do you want for it. Mr. Scott said 35 dollars. My stepdad asked what was the least he'd take for it. Mr. Scott jumped up, and said get the hell off of my property and don't come back, and don't be here when I go in the house and load this SOB, and come back out on the porch.

guitar_paul1, P Thought and KokoTele like this.
  9. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

"What's your best price?" sure seems like a lame negotiating tactic.

But as a seller it seems counterproductive to do anything other than to just say what price you'd accept (whether it's the listed price or something below that). Takes less of my time and emotional energy to do that than to come up with a snappy reply and reflect on the buyer's character/intelligence/etc.

I really enjoy selling gear to people I click with but it's not a requirement for an otherwise easy and fair transaction.

Drew617 likes this.
  10. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Around here it is usually :What is your " last price " ?
    BTW , sold the guitar last night , full asking price.
    This morning , a guy I had sold a Marshall cab , wanted to pick it up
    My son could be there when he showed up , no probs
    And , he managed to sell him my 1965 Super Reverb , LOL.....
    He sent me a text " if you had been here , he would have emptied the place " LOL

11. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

You take returns on a private sale?

As a luthier, I guarantee all my work and the products I sell. If I'm selling something privately, I make sure to state so explicitly and you get a taillight warranty. :D

(I also try hard to accurately describe items, show any deficiencies or non-original parts, and make sure that there are no surprises for either of us.)

Drew617 likes this.
  12. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

Exactly. Its just words. If you're selling something, "What's your best price?" isn't an insult--its a "parry" in fencing terms. If the seller *needs* to sell the item, he'll usually answer the question more or less honestly. If the seller doesn't *need* to sell, he'll usually simply repeat "I'm asking ___ for it."

No harm, no foul. I work in real estate. I counsel my sellers (and my lowball buyers as well) that "an offer is the beginning of a conversation". The key is to keep emotions out of it.

P Thought and Skydog1010 like this.
  13. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Carolina's (pick one - that's where I'll be) USA
    There's a fairly good amount of resellers shopping. Just stick to your guns and grow your skin a bit thicker, it's just digital dust as soon as message sent pushed or post reply is sent.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  14. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

I say the lowest price is free. If I don’t get an attractive and fair offer I’m giving it to goodwill. It burns them up that I’d sooner donate it than have a fire sale.

SnidelyWhiplash and P Thought like this.
  15. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

That doesn't advance the conversation.

MilwMark likes this.
  16. Levimoritz545

Levimoritz545 TDPRI Member

No, I want to get paid what I'm worth, so I always ask more than I would like to get.

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have hardly ever paid full price for anything in my whole life. Yes, a snack, drink, beer etc. but never on a car, guitar, anything major. Just haggle.
    In Asia it's a game. Even in Thailand, land of thieves and prostitutes, they go down to a level, then stop there. Even in Singapore you can haggle with a Taylor and have a suit made in 24 hours.
    Everybody has their price.

18. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not where I can conveniently help it, but sometimes the venue is Reverb.com. :)

19. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

No...not buying or selling. I know it, and made that mistake the other day banging up a potential purchase on a guitar I wanted. Oh well.

Drew617 likes this.
  20. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

If you are referring to the thought that my response does not advance the conversation of the negotiation, I would respond that it’s not a sincere negotiation when someone asks what’s the lowest I’ll take. If they were sincere, they would make an offer and I would counter it, or I can choose to ignore a ridiculous lowball offers. In the last couple of years, you take the time to respond to real estate inquiries from buyers that you have no relationship with , but who email you asking what the lowest your seller will take? Around these parts, at least until 6 months ago, there were bidding wars, shortages of sellers, personal testimonial letters with pictures of the babies included to try and get the house. They go above asking. Asking what’s the lowest a buyer can offer would not be the way a sincere buyer would enter into a negotiation.

By the responses of on this thread, it appears to be more of a turnoff to sellers than a legitimate negotiation tactic. At least in regards to musical gear.

If you are referring to my response as not having furthered this particular conversation, I would say that it has already advanced as far as it probably can.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Drew617 and Cyberi4n like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.