Does the neck change the sound?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Tower, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Tower

Tower TDPRI Member

Hi everyone, I'm new here and also fairly new into playing guitars. I might have given myself a bit of a problem though and wanted to hear people's opinions. I started on a squire strat and always wanted a tele because of that twang, so a few months ago I got one and have been loving it ever since. Today I decided to have a go on the strat and realized how much slimmer the neck was and was wondering if I was to swap them, would it change the sound?

Thanks

tamer_of_banthas and twangert like this.
  2. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

Yes. How much? You'll know.

Tower likes this.
  3. Tower

Tower TDPRI Member

So in other words, don't bother :)
    Thanks

4. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic

I think you've answered your own question. Well done.:)
    I would just enjoy each for what they are: different guitars.

The left path is the path of endless fiddling: it can be a scary place, full of surprises and disappointments.
    Welcome to TDPRI.

Edit: Does the neck change the sound? Yes.
    Everything contributes to the sound. Changing the neck, probably less than anything else I can think of, so .... Yes, but not enough that you would notice. (But, ... since it will "feel" different, you will probably "play" different).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

And broken guitars...

Welcome @Tower

Tower and LutherBurger like this.
  6. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Isn’t the heel shape/neck pocket different on Tele and Strat necks? Check me, but I didn’t think it's a straight swap.

Welcome to TDPRI and to the guitar.

guitartwonk likes this.
  7. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

I did change necks on two guitars of mine. They didn't come with maple fretboard and I wanted it. The changes have made them more comfortable to me in term of feel, tone, and overall look. Still keep them both.

8. Shiney Strings

Shiney Strings TDPRI Member

A strat neck will fit the square ended Tele pocket, not the other way round.

I've just fitted a chunkier non Fender maple Strat neck to both my Tele and a partscaster strat. their sound became far less well defined. Could be maple vs rosewood fingerboard or maybe not the best quality wood, needless to say it came off, original back on.

WingedWords likes this.
  9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Just changing two tele necks will change the tone, so I'd say yea. But it might be for the better. Just have to try it and see.

10. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Neck wood does shape the tone a bunch. It is the most resonant part of the instrument, and selectively attenuates harmonics.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  11. Tower

Tower TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the info, unfortunately It feels like my curiosity will be slowly meeting disappointment or pure joy in the near future. I think I just have to give it a go, fingers crossed it doesn't sound like ****e if it fits

12. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

My approach would be: see if it’s a straight swap. In that case, to revert to original you just have to swap ‘em back. 8 screws to turn, no big deal. But be extra careful not to force anything into anything or you’ll ruin stuff and be very sorry. Good luck!

Tower likes this.
  13. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

With respect to the opinions already stated, I believe you should do it if that's what you want. It might sound a bit better, or a bit worse - to your ear. I think the playability change will far surpass any tonal difference. It's your gear, and your hobby.. enjoy!

And welcome to the forum.

Tower likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to TDPRI. All of the suggestions above are fine, and I don't think anyone here wants to discourage your enthusiasm to start considering modding guitars. However, I would suggest putting the neck swap idea aside for now. The changes would be more subtle than you spending more time on learning more playing techniques, experimenting with amp settings and learning how to use effects. The necks that came with your guitars are classic designs and have been around for a long time for a reason. Learn to use them and embrace their differences.

Good luck and I can already tell that you are on a great road of guitar adventure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.