1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does the G-Dec Junior have any apples:apples competition?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bullwinkle, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Tele-Meister

I know about the Roland Microcube. I know about the Vox DA5. And, while its only a headphone amp, I know about the pocket pod. As far as I know, while all/any of these may be a shade better than the GDec Jr. at the amp modeling sounds or integrated effects (depends on who you ask), none of them incorporates backing tracks. I know there are other ways of getting some simple drum-n-bass to play along with (Guitar Pro software, etc.), but the GDec Junior makes it pretty darn easy. Select style of music, select key, select tempo ... all done with knobs.

I'd like more options in my shopping, but if the Gdec Junior is the one product that does what I need, so be it.

2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I think the Gdec Jr is the only one with backing tracks.

About the only alternative that I can think of is a drum machine like the Boss
    DR-3....
    [​IMG]

Boss DR-3 Linky

I use this Drum Machine for recording because I like the drums. It has bass and keyboard parts for every single drum track (I never use them). Every bass and drum part has many variations that you access with the edit wheel.

You could buy one of these on ebay for $90 and then just go and buy an amp.

If you want it all in the amp.....buy the Gdec Jr. I've played with the Gdec Jr in stores and the analog knobs are much easier to use than the input buttons on the regular Gdec. The Gdec Jr is the winner in the Gdec family.

I have a DA5 and a 76 Champ for quiet writing and practice. I prefer the DA5 but I'll never sell the Champ (had one when I was a kid).

John

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Tele-Meister

Thanks for the advice studio1087. I'll watch for other replies but you've about confirmed what I already suspected. I really don't need anything for recording ... just something to help me learn to play lead in different keys. I've spent several years banging out rhythm on an acoustic, and decided it was time to start playing electric guitars, too. I'm torturing myself with major scales right now, so we're talking true beginner. I think the Gdec Jr. fits my needs about perfectly. I'm gonna start taking lessons once I have the Gdec, with my cheap (but gets the job done) Ibanez that was just collecting dust until a week ago, and save up for a Tele.

4. bouncepogo

bouncepogo Tele-Meister

I bought a fender g-dec junior just after xmas and it's been money very well spent

The amp modelling isn't top notch but definitely convincing enough for a small practice amp. Same goes for effects, not many options but i generally stick to a bit of reverb.

The rhythm and bass features are where it really shines though, i've improved my scale and timing work for lead playing no end since i bought this amp. An essential practice tool in my opinion.

The G-dec junior is easier to use than the regular, but I'd like to see more drum loops and basslines in future models.

5. eno50

eno50 TDPRI Member

Take a look at the new line 6 spider jam, $449.99 @ mf it has 200 backing tracks, mic input, 12" speaker with a tweeter and 75 watts no midi like the g-dec but it has a card slot and you can down load off of the line 6 site,it blows the g-dec clean out of the water ,check the specs out on there web site and look for the video demo on there too. these are a great learning tool and fun to jam with ,a friend of mine has one and now I want one a real band in the box heck you can gig with it. so really check it out.
    Eno

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Tele-Meister

the spider jam is nice, but i think that would be apples:apples with the Gdec30, not the junior. And at $450 ... well, I like the $150 pricetag on the junior. $300 can go a long way ya know.

7. Solcat

Solcat Tele-Meister

8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Tele-Meister

I checked it out at Roland's website. Nice promo video from a guy with hair stuck in the 80's. It's just drum tracks though ... no bassline. But the amp itself sounds fantastic.

9. Solcat

Solcat Tele-Meister

All things considered, the drum and bass machine built into an amp for $149, it's hard to beat the G-dec jr.

10. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

Another fan of the G-dec Junior here.

Practice (and progress) has never been this much fun !

11. iowa

iowa Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I just picked up a G-Dec JR this weekend. While I agree that it sounds OK for a practice amp, I think the value really lies in the backing tracks.

For the most part, I play alone at home. The G-Dec makes it much more fun to practice and my wife says it sounds more like music when i am soloing over the tracks. I use it primarily for backing tracks and plug my guitar in to my good amp and board, but it's also nice to be able to plug in the headphones and not bother everyone else in the house

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.