1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does the color of the guitar body draw you in, or influence your mood?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

I’d love to say that looks don’t matter.............just glad my wife did! =)

Magnum721 and DHart like this.
  2. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Color is of no consequence. People that think color has any impact on guitar selection, or even playability, are just stupid. Wait...
    [​IMG]

3. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

Normally I choose which to play based on the sound I'm looking for, maybe sometimes the feel matters too. I'm willing to concede that once in a while visual cues may influence which one of a chosen model I'll pick up. Still, I don't think the color influences my mood at all while I'm playing.

Stage lights, perhaps. I could imagine a slight possibility of going a different direction with a solo if the stage is all red from where I might take it under all blue lights. That's not inconceivable.

Certainly I will play differently on different types of guitars. If I hit a creative block, switching to a very different guitar often helps break out of a rut.

Has the look of a guitar ever influenced my decision to buy? Absolutely.

But the color of the guitar as an influence on my playing? No.

DHart likes this.
  4. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I feel better now that I have installed a black pick guard in my avatar guitar .

eclecticsynergy and DHart like this.
  5. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Yes.

DHart likes this.
  6. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

Are we brothers, separated at birth?
    368C5088-A27C-43D8-8357-C84E0C5DE233.jpeg 5427E2EC-BCD2-488D-B602-D3DD9914B7BE.jpeg

7. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My Blizzard Pearl Deluxe is looking more like yours... just removed the humbuckers today and went with a trio of Fender Custom '69 pickups.

[​IMG]

The Blizzard Pearl color is not one that particularly excites or inspires me... but I think it's got a nice, clean, classy look to it. Business-like, I guess one might say.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  8. DHart

Incredible mystery!!!

:lol:

Bluego1, Richie-string and SheldonP like this.
  9. DHart

That brown (and wine red) are much more beautiful to my taste than the bright cherry red ES- models.

10. DHart

Deathray likes this.
  11. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

no, but i seem to gravitate toward black guitars and sunbursts, not consciously but looking at guitars I own and have owned they seem to out number the rest of the colours I have possessed. I put more concern in to sound than looks

12. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    I do definitely prefer some guitars over others due to the colour, but i'll always buy a guitar based on what it plays like and if it feels comfortable to play. The amount of times i've gone out with absolute certainty that i was getting a white strat and nothing else would do only to come back with a black one because i liked the way it played more.

Funny thing is even if i don't particularly like the colour to start with if i like how it plays then the colour starts to grow on me. If both guitars played exactly the same then i'd go for the colour i preferred most, but if one played slightly better than the other then that's the one i'd go for.

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I like having a variety of colors, and I pick colors and finishes that I think are cool. Simple as that.

Magnum721 and Bluego1 like this.
  14. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure if it changes my mood, but I always enjoy looking at my Goldtop.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Magnum721, DHart, Deathray and 2 others like this.
  15. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

There are some colors that I just don't prefer. Pink, orange, and purple to name a few. But, other than those, I'm pretty easy.

16. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

I no longer own any pink guitars. (Though I wouldn't mind a coral Strat one of these days.)

Black outnumbers every other color in my stable, but while I do like the look of a black guitar I wouldn't really call it my favorite. The surfeit of black happened somewhat accidentally, and the others cover a pretty broad spectrum.

17. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

I love the Blizzard Pearl. That's what immediately drew me to the guitar.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm absolutely drawn to a guitar by it's color. Probably while I'll never own a Sunburst; just don't like them, and would probably pass up a great deal on one because of that.

18. DHart

This day and age, there is no reason a player can't have an instrument that plays like a custom shop guitar, sounds like a custom shop guitar, and looks just as fabulous as you want it to look - whatever your color preferences may be!

No reason to compromise on any of it, really. You CAN have it all! :lol:

Magnum721 and DonM like this.
  19. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

A great excuse for G.A.S.(ha!ha!)....I need another one because of a color!!

DonM and DHart like this.
  20. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Yes and no. Color and overall looks definitely affect my initial desire to try a guitar, but if for some reason I happen upon a guitar in a color/finish I don't like yet it feels and sounds great, then I don't care what it looks like.

At this point though, I totally prefer anything with a natural and transparent finish, usually something satin. I'm a sucker for woodgrain and prefer that look over any painted guitar (no matter the color) about 95 times out of a 100.

I'm especially not into blue, green, or any pastel colored guitars, and will probably never seek one out in those colors, but again, if I came across one for whatever reason and it felt and sounded great then I'm totally able to look past the color.

Not a fan of poly finishes either, strictly because of looks and feel.

Magnum721 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.