1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Does the Broadcaster pickup still exist?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by PluckNCluck, Jan 21, 2021.

1. PluckNCluck

PluckNCluck TDPRI Member

I'm looking to do some tweaking on my newly acquired '08 MIM FSR with Tex Mex pickups. My initial impression of the Tex Mex is that I actually like them just fine, but I'm not necessarily head over heels in love with them.

I've been listening to lots of sound clips and watching lots of videos and I am consistently drawn to the Broadcaster bridge pickup. It just seems to have that focused twang that I really like for this project, at least for the bridge pickup. For the neck I'd like something open and glassy. Kind of a yin/yang I guess.

I have three questions:
    1)
    How does the Tex Mex bridge pickup compare to Broadcaster?

2) Does Fender still make the Broadcaster (maybe under a different name)?

3) Does another company make a "better" version of the Broadcaster pickup?

drewg likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

As far as question 3 Seymour Duncan makes some broadcaster pickups

3. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

FWIW I know the Broadcaster pu in the 70th aniv does not sound like a real Broadcaster. I am about 1 week out from finding out if a Klein sounds like one and I can give an update then. Also most of the originals sound similar but not identical since they were all hand made.
    https://www.kleinpickups.com/p-138-broadcaster-epic-series-pickup.aspx

PluckNCluck likes this.
  4. PluckNCluck

PluckNCluck TDPRI Member

I suppose it's worth noting that the Broadcaster that I've been drawn to is the Custom Shop one that came in the Baja.

ricardo1912 likes this.
  5. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

Don Mare 0038

but his wait is long, Id look for these specs for proper Broadcaster:

Alnico 3 flat pole, 43 awg wire, 10-11k

ndcaster, drewg, BuckSatan and 4 others like this.
  6. caspersvapors

7. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

It can be tough because everyone's Broadcaster comes out a little different, even Fender's compared to the original.

According the the Fender Service Diagram from the Baja that particular pickup was part number 0072268000, if that helps you track one down.

PluckNCluck likes this.
  8. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

If you can find one, Fender custom shop made a set they called the Blackguard. AIII, and 43ga., but nowhere near 10-11k. At least my set. I’ll stick the multi meter in there later.

PluckNCluck likes this.
  9. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

My impression is that it never existed, considering the variation in the originals. However, beyond labels, what you have in mind sonically should be a good guide to finding the right pickup for you (on the basis of product descriptions etc).

10. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I have a Klein Broadcaster pickup in my Esquire, it's all that IMO.

drewg and PluckNCluck like this.
  11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

^^^This is the real answer about real Broadcaster pickups. In the 50s the Esquire, Broadcaster, and Telecaster pickups were a roll of the dice on tone.

What Fender calls a Broadcaster in the Baja 50s is called "Broadcaster" as a marketing decision. It's a good pickup and I've never thought of pulling it out of my own Baja. I've never seen it offered separately, even from Darren Riley who offers lots of discontinued Fender pickups.

Rob DiStefano will wind you any of the numerous variations of those early pickups. His Cavalier pickups are highly regarded as is his customer service. Here are the Esquire/Broadcaster/Telecaster pickups. Resistance is a piece of the puzzle, but IMO isn't the defining factor of a pickup's tone. Rob winds to a specific turn count instead of a resistance. Look at Rob's offerings and then e-mail him about the tone you're looking for.

Gatordad, zippofan, drewg and 3 others like this.
  12. Frankie

Frankie Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Amalfitano Pickups are as close as your get to early 50's Broadcaster pickups. Jerry does a heck of a job. I've been through a slew of pickups over the years, and comparing back to back with actual 50's Fender Broadcasters, this is it. To my ears anyway. https://www.amalfitanopickups.com/broadcaster.php

drewg and PluckNCluck like this.
  13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Fender Broadcaster pickup that came out of a Baja Tele, if that's what you're talking about. I'm not using it and would be willing to sell it if you're interested. Actually I have both pickups, the Twisted Tele - Broadcaster set from a Baja. I had been using them in my standard Tele, but recently swapped them out for a Cavalier Fat Lion King set because I wanted something a little, well, fatter. But the TT/BC set was great. Definitely distinctly different (hotter) than the standard Fender single coils that came stock.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  14. Rattfink

Rattfink Tele-Meister

I have this set and can vouch for them. Awesome.

Frankie and PluckNCluck like this.
  15. caspersvapors

16. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

I have a Tele with the Broadcaster bridge / Twisted Tele neck pup set and this works well for me. I have another Tele that came with Hot A3s that I’m not so keen on and I wanted to upgrade the pups. Couldn’t source Broadcaster pickup as it appeared to be out of production. I assumed they had been replaced by the 51 Nocaster pup set which is easily available.

17. PluckNCluck

PluckNCluck TDPRI Member

Message sent

18. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Check out Bootstrap Pickups' Original Recipe. I've been very happy with mine, and the price is world-beating for the quality.

zippofan, drewg and PluckNCluck like this.
  19. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

It’s later.
    Neck reads 6.96, bridge is 7.17. Read off a Georgie L patch cable...
    Lovely. 5404A7F8-63FF-4E80-BA99-4662EB16F5B2.jpeg C879E7EC-D746-4B32-A22A-09402EF3047A.jpeg

I have no idea if they intended these to be in the “Broadcaster” realm, but they’ve taught me that I have no need for hot/overwound pickups. These things just sing. And all the twang, as well as beef are in there. The low notes chime with full body, and I can hear every note in full chords.
    How’s that for buzzwords?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  20. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

Oc duff makes some killer stuff. I have a plankster and a guardsman from him. The guardsman seems more traditional broadcaster and the plankster seems like a hotter take on a broadcaster. Both are killer. You can’t beat Owen’s customer service either

DavidP, El Tele Lobo and bobk like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.