Does such a 9V Battery tester exist??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chiogtr4x, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ok to the point,
    Is there a 9V battery tester that might accept a 1/4" cable from my acoustic guitars' endpoint jack, to test installed batteries?

My situation is I have 2 guitars, each takes a 9V battery, mounted inside soundhole ( end of neck) and there is no way to remove the battery ( to check or replace) w/o removing all strings, and stuffing my hand inside- it's a PITA! ( no 'low battery' indicator, just a Vol. knob inside soundhole)

So just looking for help, if there is some?
    Don't want to have a battery die in the middle of a gig, but don't want the hassle of changing it, if I don't have to. Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    SparkleFart and Timbresmith1 like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm onna sit right here until someone provides ( a rational, not snarky response to this) :lol:

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Did I ask something dumb here?

Yonatan, Toto'sDad and telemnemonics like this.
  4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

subscribed

My Gibson J45 is like that. I check it by plugging the guitar into a tuner, if the tuner latches on then I know the guitar is still producing signal.

I try to remember to put in a new battery every time I change strings. If I have one around.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Just move the sound hole over a bit. Sorry to disappoint @Toto’sDad. 6D22D198-A78B-4DDE-8756-956DB9468967.jpeg

stxrus and Timbresmith1 like this.
  6. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I don't think there's any way to do it.... because the voltage from the battery isn't coming out of the jack, is it? .... if it was it would be easy you could just a plug a cable in and measure the voltage at the other end with any volt meter/multi meter.

dsutton24 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  7. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

TD wanted to post a picture of his tongue, that's all.

Really tho, get a 9V pigtail like this, and wire it in parallel with the battery. Tape the socket just inside your soundhole, so you can pull it out and use a standard battery tester on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

I'm no engineer (clearly!) but could you wire in a 9v battery clip parallel to the contacts for the battery itself? Then you just pull the clip out through the sound hole and test it when the instrument is not plugged in an isn't drawing any charge.

Edit: Aaaaaaaannnnnd Mexitele Blues types faster than I do.

Yonatan, Dano-caster and Chiogtr4x like this.
  9. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

No. Because the battery is feeding the guitars onboard amplifier which provides signal from your pickup to the output jack. You do not have access to both legs of the battery from the output jack of the guitar. Therefore you cannot measure the battery voltage from the output jack.

mfguitar, telemnemonics and Chiogtr4x like this.
  10. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

Not that I know of. Not a bad idea...
    With say, a Fishman system, we used to get a few months out of a 9v in a working pro’s guitar. (Although one pretty well known guy was freakish about it- it wasn’t EJ. The other tech even told me: “Sometimes “G” gets like this. Just put the old battery back in, or tell him you changed it”.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

How much current does a panel-mount DC voltmeter draw?

I was thinking about the feasibility of mounting a small LCD DC voltmeter inside the guitar, so that one could always tell the condition of the battery at a glance:

[​IMG]
    Maybe velcro it to the battery pouch.

Unless it draws so much current that it would affect the life of the battery...

Ron C and Chiogtr4x like this.
  12. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It is a valid question. My 2 cents is to ask why not have a battery box mounted in the back?

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

That is pure genius

Obsessed and Chiogtr4x like this.
  14. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

The simplest thing to do is look at the specs for the pre your guitar's pickup uses and note the current draw in mA. Then look at the battery you use and consider usable voltage (via mA draw) over time.

Do some simple math and determine how many hours you get off the battery.

Remember that 99% of onboard pres are unpowered until you stick a plug in the jack. Leave your guitar plugged in when not playing it and the battery can go flat faster.

Many of these onboard pres (especially those paired with a piezo) draw really low current and a battery will last more than a year and often start leaking before the voltage drops below a useable level.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  15. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

I have an inexpensive Lekato classical nylon string acoustic-electric that had a similar problem. Very difficult to change the battery. I solved it by making a battery clip extender from two 9V battery pigtails. Snap the clip on one end to the battery, then the other end to the preamp’s batter connector. Snap the battery into the guitar’s clip holder. Use a small Velcro cable tie to dress the extender’s cable to avoid it making noise in the body.

Hope this helps.

Ron C and Chiogtr4x like this.
  16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I would be asking myself "what will I do IF the battery goes dead at a gig?" Change the situation, make the battery retrievable thru the sound hole, or something.
    I've not seen the situation you are describing, but you should be able to mount the battery where it IS retrievable to the side of the strings. Heck I can remove a soundhole pickup without taking the strings off.

or......... as mentioned....... install a 9v pigtail for testing.

17. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

I agree that it's a lousy design but you don't have to remove the strings to gain access, just loosen them until your hand fits in. Still a pita but not as bad as having to remove the strings.

18. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I have a guitar, it may be a Martin 000-1e, that has a low battery indicator on the little control panel thingy on the butt-end of the guitar. I think that is also where you access the battery.

But that does you no good.

Maybe you should include a string winder and spare battery in your gig go-to bag.

19. hunterfryellis

hunterfryellis TDPRI Member

Is no one gonna say "Lick it"?

20. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

Well… you see. You take the battery put it flat side down on a table. Place a quarter on the top. Then try to get the quarter. You’ll know if it’s good or not.

LutherBurger and Chiogtr4x like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.