Does Speaker Swap Void Warranty

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SaintSilas, Apr 13, 2018.

1. SaintSilas

SaintSilas Tele-Meister

Pretty straightforward question but wondering about Vox vs other companies. Thanks.

2. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I think changing any part that is OEM, with the exception of consumables, such as tubes, would be grounds to invalidate the warranty. Someone could stick a 2 ohm speaker where a 16 ohm is expected and then wonder why the amp has issues. Wouldn't be covered by the warranty and shouldn't be.

With the case of tubes, if they put EL34s in a 6v6 amp, something probably going to go - wouldn't be covered by warranty. I would think proper tube replacement is expected though.

Just decide if the warranty is worth it to you or not. Unless you do something you shouldn't, amp should be fine, but probably wouldn't be covered anymore.

Warranties are marketed to protect the consumer when they are written in a way to protect the manufacturer

3. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Do you mean if swapping the speaker resulted in damage to the amp, like from an impedance mismatch or something? I would think that would be a warranty-voider.

But if you just swap the speaker, and then some unrelated malfunction occurs, and you put the original speaker back in... well how would they even know you changed speakers?

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

how would anyone know? as long as you used the same sized speaker.

but to answer your question for vox (korg)
    This warranty does not apply on equipment that:
    may have been tampered with, altered or repaired by others than authorized Korg service centre personnel;

For Fender (2017 forward)
    This Limited Warranty becomes void if the serial number on any product is defaced or removed, or the product has been damaged by alteration, misuse, accident, or neglect.

Marshall
    Any products found to be defective within the applicable period will be replaced at the option of Marshall USA. without any charge provided that: (1) the product was not modified, misused, abused, improperly maintained by any person not authorized by Marshall USA

also note depending on your state, province EU country etc. limitations on the duration of implied warranty or the exclusion may not apply to some purchasers

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

And this is why you keep the sock speaker.
    Just in case.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have heard stories from my tech of Fender dealers voiding warranty if the speaker is not stock.

7. pictacado

pictacado Tele-Meister

I'm not sure how well this applies to your question, but I came across a news story a couple days ago stating that all of those little stickers that say 'Warranty Void If Removed' are actually illegal and companies can not void your warranty if you do not use original equipment parts or original manufacture services. Obviously there are lines to be drawn but I would not hesitate to swap a speaker myself.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/11/601582169/warranty-void-if-removed-as-it-turns-out-feds-say-those-warnings-are-illegal

8. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I should think so..

9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Some manufacturers put a drop of paint on speaker fasteners. It serves as a bit of thread locking, but is also a telltale for speaker removal.

10. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Keep the original speaker in a sock? The very reason I have socks with no match in my drawer.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.