Does proper grammar matter at all anymore?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Jul 21, 2019.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

In fifteen years even English teachers will be like wuz up u dwn 4 spelz tst?

2. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

It matters to me :)

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I write I can't stand leaving typo's and will edit to fix any mistakes.

Yet I also like to use colloquialisms in language.
    Colloquialisms are often grammatically incorrect, yet communicationally superior or at least more targeted in meaning.
    For example one can make a statement here that might offend the individual it's aimed at, but using some linguistic tarpaper shackisms makes it less likely to offend.
    This is dog 101.
    Are we not dogs?

And of course the word "communicationally" is neither a word nor a colloquialism, but here I like it.

Really, notes and words are tools of the musician.
    Artistic license might oughtta be assumed, assuming guitar forum members are actual musicians.

JL_LI likes this.
  4. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

5. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

The whole point of grammar is to be understood by someone else reading what you've written. A conversational style of writing still needs to be clear about what you are trying to convey. That's the sole purpose of grammar....not to separate people into 'classes'. So, being conversational is fine but if you're not being understood, and that's what I find happening A LOT, then there's a problem....and falling back on the tired old 'grammar Nazis' accusation just doesn't fly IMO.....(although there is at least one person here who seems unable to distinguish between a 'typo' and bad grammar.....that guy's a Naz! for sure).

I can often re-read something and still don't have a clue what the person is trying to convey. If that's the case then being 'conversational' is useless....

So here's my Golden Rule....if a person doesn't care enough about what they're writing to go to the small trouble of making it readable and understandable (ie: take a moment and look at what you've written and correct and edit if need be) then obviously what they're saying is not that important to them so why would I go to the trouble of trying to decipher it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Rowdyman, JL_LI, 8barlouie and 2 others like this.
  6. Doug B

Doug B Tele-Meister

You're probably right, String!:rolleyes:

7. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

8. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Netflix.

Unless you're old enough to think that "Gunsmoke and chill" is a decent pick-up line...

9. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

As a native Finn I try to speak/write as perfect English (I prefer British version) as I can. But obviously I make mistakes and it bugs me so much that I’d like to bang my head to the wall. Being a perfectionist it isn’t all sunshine and happyhappyjoyjoy. I just hope that the good people around here can understand what I’m trying to say. Over and out.

P Thought and Stringbanger like this.
  10. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Cormac McCarthy is considered by many in the literary world as being a "top shelf" writer.

Yet he uses very little punctuation and a lot of run on sentences.

IMO, he breaks the rules of grammar.

I like his stories but his mis-use of grammar irritates me.

11. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

He has said that he writes so as to need as little punctuation as possible. Sentences should be uncomplicated and no longer than absolutely necessary. I think it's a good rule to follow, whatever one thinks of how he applies it in his own writing.

12. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

I like that I get paid more because I can process the written word and drawings into instructions than cannot be incorrectly carried out

or summat

13. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

"....typo's...."
    ???

SecretSquirrel and boneyguy like this.
  14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

“I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.”

James Joyce, Ulysses.

Grammar nazis will curl up and die just seeing it on a shelf.

15. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I have been teaching college English for twenty years. In that time I have learnt that:
    • The preacher is not the morals police. I am not the grammar police.
    • There is no correlation between good grammar and good morals. Orwell thought bad writing a sign of bad character, but he was talking about writing that obfuscates a wicked truth.
    • Not proofreading is in a different category: that's sloppy.
    • Split infinitives and sentences that end with a proposition never made a sentence unclear. Fixing them is not worth the trouble and can injure the rhythm.
    • Everybody wants students to have already learnt grammar. Nobody actually wants to teach grammar.
    • If students read a lot of well-written books, their grammar will get better. If they don't, it won't.
    • Despite having three degrees in English, I am not a great speller. You can count on me to misspell exhilirating every time, even though I studied Latin and should know better. There, I did it again and I wasn't even trying.
    • Language is robust. Most sentences can bear a heavy weight of illogic and still be understood.

JL_LI and P Thought like this.
  16. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

boy howdy

17. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

It only matters as long as people feel the need to communicate with each other.

Its a big 'my truth' problem:- "hey, I can say what ever words I want to mean whatever I want and you have to know what I mean".

That's one reason why 'my truth' doesn't actually work.

jackinjax likes this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I do worry that whatever I write today, will mean something else (or nothing) to readers coming along in 10 years. What if painstakingly, beautifully written books "expire" in as little as 5 years? Could communications processes accelerate to the point everyone is illiterate - because the word meant one thing on Tuesday morning and something entirely different by lunchtime?

EddieLocrian and jackinjax like this.
  19. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Bad grammar is like bad geometry.

20. Pepi

Pepi Tele-Afflicted

Just auto check on there phones

tlsmack likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.