Does proper grammar matter at all anymore?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Jul 21, 2019.

1. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

"Gunsmoke" was set in India?

BorderRadio and boris bubbanov like this.
  2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Some can, and some detect too much negative camber that others never saw, and make the decision to "flip" the tires in time to get pretty close to full life from those tires.

Infuriating, I know, but some people can do most things much better than some people can do even a single thing.

But a brain surgeon can also be a Savant who cannot button his own shirt.

Sometimes a brain surgeon doesn't change the tire because his insurance won't allow it. Or he wants to leave other worldly tasks to his fellows, so that they can claim a trade. My brother is an architect and when he's re-doing one of these houses in Southern California, for fun on the side, he is deft not to trample on any one of his worker's feet. He doesn't do the tasks assigned to them, not because he cannot, but because these people are his friends and they deserve respect.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

These descriptions were "outsourced".

To India.

Nobody actually thought we'd bother to read them; not even bother to scan them in some cases.

4. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

A tire or attire?

Brian Surgeons must where the same uniform ass everyone else in the hospital to promote teamwerk.

They can't change a tire because their hands is special and can't risk ingery.

5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    This is an example of modern attention to detail that caught my eye because I am left-handed. Truth be told, the headline contains one error and the subheadline another. The amphibious pitcher alternated arms, but you get the point.

I survived a gauntlet of tough, tough, English teachers in school only to be subject to college professors who graded a paper down if you misspelled or misused grammar even if they weren't English papers. One of the subjects I studied was philosophy. You can't convey philosophical concepts if you can't accurately communicate. The upshot here is that you can't survive a background like that without wincing whenever you see mistakes. And then there are the applications that have a need for precision: some of my first writing was constructing computer tutorials. However you do have to apply the golden rule and not embarrass those who make mistakes.

I scrupulously proof-read my last magazine article and also had an English major check it as well. After I submitted it, the magazine editor only changed one thing - he substituted bad grammar into one of my sentences!

What matters most is accurately conveying ideas, and that is what conventions are for. Those who don't learn conventions or choose not to follow them risk not accurately conveying their thoughts.

Bob

JL_LI likes this.
  6. Doug B

Doug B Tele-Meister

Why not?

7. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

I read it as a situation where Festus served as a form of currency with which the Native American is woman was purchased.

Not so?

boris bubbanov and BorderRadio like this.
  8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Anyways, I thought festus was when a wound got infected and started rotting

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

Nope... being nit-picky with that was per my hierarchy instructions ;) (and at different levels), not just me being an smarty-I-am-better-than-you-*ss.

And it was not actually being an uber nit-picky *ss, I had flexibility... 500 words, 10 errors ? fine, I can spend time on the actual content. 500 words, 50 errors ? come on ! how much time did you spend on that "letter" ? being that careless doesn't show me that you *really* want the job !

10. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

I work with with written copy every day. It's part of my job. I can be very precise about grammar, down to knowing the difference between what's considered correct in AP style vs. Chicago style.

However, it's worth considering... at what point did our language and grammar become "proper"?

The reason we spell words differently than they do in England is because people here did it wrong and it became generally accepted.

All contractions come from writing to emulate the sound of words being incorrectly slurred when spoken. "O'er" is even a part of our national anthem.

Our language is, was, and always will be evolving. "Evolving" means people will do things the wrong way, then more people will start doing it that way, then it will be considered the right way.

RLee77 and P Thought like this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Value and precision are not the same.

12. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Doug,

He seems to be a troublemaker. Don’t take the bait.

13. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I appreciate the efforts of those who attempt to protect proper usage. So many incorrect idioms become acceptable simply by repeated use. Ex: There is no such word as orientate. To adjust to a new situation is to "orient" yourself. I cringe at the very sound of "orientate." What really annoys me, is when I am corrected for using "orient"

14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

This reminds me of a fairly high level manager we used to have at my work. In more than one meeting he used the word "Documentated".

This is a "critical thinker" in our organization? Really?

Rowdyman and tlsmack like this.
  15. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

I really wasn't calling you nit-picky. If your job is writing you had better be good at it. So, in your case you would need to be critical.

However, in general the message is more important than the delivery.

16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Or in magazine articles and books you've paid for.

17. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

The Oxford English Dictionary begs to differ ;)

[​IMG]

18. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

19. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

Like... I mean...sorta...but like kinda not really...only if like your taking like a test or something...maybe writing a paper, but nobody does their own writing anymore anyway..you can blame Elbert Hubbard.

20. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Grammar always matters, why is this even a thing? More people in the world-->more media-->accelerated access-->no more type casting and setting--more typos. Bad grammar has always been around, donchaknow? Besides only squares talk in perfect English:)

I'm more in arms over the fact a Native woman was bought and sold like an object. Damn Hollywood Westerns warping reality...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.